OP
OP
Grintch

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Letter sent. Mostly asking for 11" wheels to be legal for the entire class.

Oddly enough, the only other letters I have ever sent were in support of an STP class way back and asking to get the S197 moved to STU so we could have 11" wheels.
Yes, I asked for 11s and 305s with IRS as well.
Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Simmonz got a tune and did some gear testing via GPS. 7600rpm limiter with 275/35/19 is 64.8mph on a 3.73 rear. That's promising and I think I'd be ok with the car at those RPMs.
Would you be comfortable on the limiter for a couple of seconds at 7600 rpm for those courses where even 64.8 mph isn't sufficient?

ABQautoxer

Autox Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
It's a good question. Probably since before I would need to do that it would likely be March and some other guinea pigs would have. :)

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP
Would you be comfortable on the limiter for a couple of seconds at 7600 rpm for those courses where even 64.8 mph isn't sufficient?
Thought for the day. He-who-shall-not-be-named's red 2011 revved to 7600 RPM all day long on a coyote that was far less well developed and had far more durability issues than our coyote should have. He then went to road racing and that motor probably lives above 6k RPM. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to rev to 7600 with the right tune on these cars and let that sucker peg the limiter repeatedly. But I'm crazy and don't have any National Championships so your mileage will most certainly vary! ;)

dontlifttoshift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Guys, write letters if you are even considering STP. I don't think we will get the same size tires as the solid axle cars but the 10" wheel limit is silly. Support 11" wheels for all cars in STP.

Sponsored

ABQautoxer

Autox Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I think you are confused. The latest Fastrack is out with the details that show it is unchanged from the last proposal. While its a provisional class they can rule change on the fly, I dont think you'll see anything until October of next year.

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
don't let that dissuade you from providing constructive feedback though! (i've already written a couple letters addressing wheel width and FD swaps)
on that note, something i hadn't considered until recently - long tube headers. ST* rules currently dictate that cats be within 6" of the factory location - i don't see how the current designs available would allow this. i'm getting under my car this weekend and will see what the difference is. end result might be another letter :)

dontlifttoshift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I guess that could have been worded better. The point I am trying to make.....

Write letters in support of 11" for all cars in STP.

ABQautoxer

Autox Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
This is the side of me that has spent years on advisory committees, so understand my POV:

What new constructive feedback are you going to provide at this point? They had all the information you can give at this point for a few months. They determined this was the right starting point. Until some development and race results provided by known good drivers with good prep start giving them data, I see no motivation to already change the rules.

While writing letters are great, don't just write them to write them. Provide solid arguments. At this point they know about the value differences and anything else you can argue. We are stuck with 10" wheels. Go full prep and show them this isn't enough and hope your 10" wheels become your rains later.

Unfortunately the new radiator allowance and other trends in ST are making the class less desirable for me, I'm getting more tempted to move on.

dontlifttoshift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Dear STAC, you're dumb and I'm right! maybe I should do it in call caps.

:) I keed, I keed.

Seriously though, I don't see any reason to handicap the wheels. See the FS testing at nationals. See that no other class uses suspension design to determine wheel width. See that IRS guys are still willing to accept the 285 tires against the 315 for solid axle guys until the class shakes out.

What data is the AC using to decide that this handicap is required?

Sponsored

ABQautoxer

Autox Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
What data is the AC using to decide that this handicap is required?
I don't know. Plus you have to remember the STAC advises, the SEB decides and they aren't always the same thing. I personally think a tire size difference was a good idea. It draws out the S197 owners to play. Then they can feed in tire allowances as race data dictates. It is far better and easier to give more tire allowance later than take it back. Maybe it should have had that line drawn some place else but they picked a spot and if you really wanted an STP class, this is a reasonable starting spot even if you don't think its ideal. CAM-C as a general idea is cool but the rules will just eventually turn that into something you never want to drive to work IMO.

PS Dennis I really hope you run STP, you're car is already the closes and minor changes away from giving the feedback they need.

dontlifttoshift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
The tire allowance/handicap doesn't bother me at all as that is so much easier to fix from a competitor stand point. I just can't wrap my head around the 10" wheels and would love to know where the logic came from on that.

ABQautoxer

Autox Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
As you know a 285 on 11" is much more effective than 10". My guess is they decided that might make it close some the performance gap of a 315 pinched on an 11". I can't say for sure but that was how I saw it and would agree with that thinking.

z3papa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 BMW M3
don't let that dissuade you from providing constructive feedback though! (i've already written a couple letters addressing wheel width and FD swaps)
on that note, something i hadn't considered until recently - long tube headers. ST* rules currently dictate that cats be within 6" of the factory location - i don't see how the current designs available would allow this. i'm getting under my car this weekend and will see what the difference is. end result might be another letter :)
Good luck on getting the cats moved more. That issue has plagued many ST cars and many letters have fallen on deaf ears.

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
Good luck on getting the cats moved more. That issue has plagued many ST cars and many letters have fallen on deaf ears.
i contend that STP shouldn't be forced to follow the same mold as the other ST* classes. and if it does fall on deaf ears, i'll just keep playing in ESP.
Sponsored