Sponsored

Proposed Solo Class STP(ony)

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
I would call the dash a C&C item. Alternate gauges are specifically allowed and the simulated engined turned panel is just a styling change. Does ST not allow HD radiators? But I agree the K member is an issue.
Alternate radiators are not currently allowed in ST but are in SP. although, I thought I saw some FastTrack that proposed allowing them in ST...

The gauges (and the cluster for that matter) don't alter performance are allowed in C&C under Street rules.

ST allows "lower suspension braces". I don't know how the SCCA sees a K-member brace. That would be something to shoot over to the board as a question. From what I've seen briefly, that brace looks to be placed to add support to the front suspension pickup points...

The "unique chassis tuning" other than the brace, would just be slightly stiffer bushings and the dampers.
Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
I don't have the details but I think there are some different front and maybe rear lower pivot/bushing/monoball parts in the PP that just changing bushings doesn't cover that would have to go to convert a PP GT to not a PP car in STP.

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
i know the rear toe link is different on the PP, too. and it still sucks (fucking CAM bolts, uggh).
also, upper strut mounts (but that's an ST-legal swap if you're doing camber plates instead of control arms)
if there really is different EPAS tuning too, you'd need swap out the entire steering rack assembly - at least, that's how it was on the S197 (when people starting having anti-nibble issues with their racks causing crazy shuddering with bushing swaps and sticky tires, and were putting in the FRPP piece from the Boss, no way to just update the programming on the existing rack)

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Sure makes me glad that the various FS choices are so much fun at FS prep level. Otherwise I would have kept my Formula Ford racecar in CM. :)

Just kidding. ESP and if it happens for the S550s STP both look like a lot of fun for guys who are inclined that way. Write letters to get gearing changes allowed since the are so inexpensive for Pony cars.

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP
More info:
http://www.solomatters.com/November_2015_fastrack_preview

STP Supplemental Class:

The STP Supplemental class will be created effective 10/20/2015 (the expected publication date of the November Fastrack). Competitors are reminded that the SEB has the power to create supplemental classes without BOD approval and that supplemental classes do not follow the same 'rules season' established classes do, so its possible that these rules may receive further tweaks as we gather experience with the concept.
Major changes since the published proposal include the addition of the 2010-2014 1LE Camaro, 2015 – 2016 Mustang, and '79-'93 Mustangs with fuel injection. The entire proposal with these updates is published here for reference:
Effective immediately add the following new class, designated STP, for inclusion as a supplemental class for all national level solo events and optional inclusion in regional events. The allowances will mirror those in the Street Touring category, with the following additions:
Tires:
STP, Independent Rear Suspension: 285 mm maximum width
STP, Live Axle Rear Suspension: 315 mm maximum width
Wheels:
STP, Independent Rear Suspension: 10" Maximum Width
STP, Live Axle Rear Suspension: 11" Maximum Width
Differentials:
May use any mechanical LSD unit
Eligible Vehicles:
Chevrolet Camaro (2010 - 2014) (SS, V6, 1LE)
Chevrolet Camaro (1993 - 2002) (SS, Z28, V6)
Chevrolet Camaro (1982 - 1992) (N/A, fuel injected) (excluding 1LE)
Dodge Challenger (2008 - 2015) (N/A)
Dodge Charger (2006 - 2015) (N/A)
Ford Mustang (2015-2016) (2.3T, V6, GT)
Ford Mustang (2005 - 2014) (GT, V6)
Ford Mustang (1994 - 2004) (GT, V6)
Ford Mustang (1979 - 1993) (N/A, fuel injected)
Pontiac Firebird (1993 - 2002) (LT1, LS1, V6)
Pontiac Firebird (1982 - 1992) (N/A, fuel injected) (excluding GTA and Formula)
American RWD V8 powered sedans, must be naturally aspirated with a wheelbase greater than 100" and a listed curb weight greater than 3200#, NOC (not eligible for national level competition)

Sponsored

ABQautoxer

Autox Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I'm a bit surprised they skipped the Cobra models, not sure if that's an oversight or on purpose as I wouldn't feel threatened by their power/weight given the rules but I haven't looked into them much.

Gonna be a long winter talking this one out. :)

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Having not bought much of anything yet for my FS prep, the inclusion of S550s in STP for next year really has me seriously pondering just going there right away. So yeah, going to be a long couple of weeks thinking about this, lol.

My best years in the sport were when STS was born and I even have the car I ran back in the early 2000s STS class. That thing with STS prep is a lot of fun.

ABQautoxer

Autox Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
A guy some of us know is thinking about fabricating adapters so we can use conventional springs in the rear for classes like STP and ESP. He's trying to gauge interest, so far only two of us said we'd be interested. Hopefully this doesn't break any forum rules so if you are interested, shoot him an email. Here is Dave's description:

"I am considering developing an alternate spring perch for the rear springs on the S550 Mustang, which would allow the use of conventional 2.5" coil-over type springs, as opposed to vehicle-specific lowering springs. This spring perch would be located in the spring seat of the lower control arm and would allow for weight jacking / corner weighting. The part would be designed to be compliant with the Street Touring rules. There is no pricing determined yet, but I hope to be able to stay under $100 / corner. Please let me know if this is something you'd be interested in at [email protected]"

If you aren't sure what's being described, think of Ground Control type threaded collar adapters for the rear of our Mustang. This allows us to use any 2.5" race spring instead of the much more rare sizes back there by default. This is a big deal IMO because of the insanely high spring rates we need to run because of the motion ratios (leverage). Stock is in the mid 700lbs range I think, I assume must of us in STP would run at least 2x that.

lostwon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
john
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z51 7 Speed
Probably the wrong forum to bring this up; but why no 2015 Camaro? Can't see any difference from the '14?

The tire and wheel allowances between IRS versus stick axles might be a little biased toward sticks. (Can't see a huge advantage for IRS; to need to overcome with larger tires and bigger width wheels for sticks.)

Like everyone has mentioned, many more choices to consider.

As far as tires, we're almost back to 2/3 years ago when in FS/FSR it was who had the freshest tires.....Hoosiers then, now Bridgestones.

Wonder if my S197 is still on the dealer's lot?

Last edited:

Sponsored

dontlifttoshift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Letter sent. Mostly asking for 11" wheels to be legal for the entire class.

Oddly enough, the only other letters I have ever sent were in support of an STP class way back and asking to get the S197 moved to STU so we could have 11" wheels.

ABQautoxer

Autox Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Yeah. Makes sense though. I might snag some 19x10s very soon. Worse case they are street wheels/rains. I need something as my RE71Rs are getting too low to be smart street wheels yet we have more events.

ABQautoxer

Autox Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Simmonz got a tune and did some gear testing via GPS. 7600rpm limiter with 275/35/19 is 64.8mph on a 3.73 rear. That's promising and I think I'd be ok with the car at those RPMs.

z3papa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 BMW M3
Simmonz got a tune and did some gear testing via GPS. 7600rpm limiter with 275/35/19 is 64.8mph on a 3.73 rear. That's promising and I think I'd be ok with the car at those RPMs.
Real question is whether someone would be better to hold off buying and waits for Simmonz to put his car up for sale? What's the over and under?
Sponsored