Sponsored

Powdercoating GTPP wheels and recommendations in Houston

Texstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EB Premium PP 6MT
Cross post from Wheels and Tires Section - posting here to solicit advice/recommendation from members in my area.

I just finished applying a ceramic coating on my paint and took the opportunity to do the same with my GTPP wheels since the weather's been nice out. I was prepping the wheels for the coating and started to notice how hammered the finish was. This car is my DD so I expect to see chips here and there, but it's damn near impossible to keep the OEM finish looking nice. I'm not sure if the paint/clear is thinner than other wheels I've had in the past or if it's the fact that defects are more apparent on black paint.

I was frustrated with the finish on the OEM wheels when I was looking at them up close. In mine, the barrels and some of the areas between spokes seem to have a very thin base/color coat. It almost looks like they didn't achieve full coverage in certain spots and just sprayed over it with clearcoat.

I plan on replacing the tires soon, and was thinking about getting the rims powdercoated gloss black at the same time. I did a search and found one user who did this, but there were only a few posts and the pictures were removed/blocked by Photobucket.

Does anyone have any experience or tips (what kind of powder/finishes should I ask shops about, thoughts on durability, etc)?

Can any Houston members recommend a place for this type of work?

Thanks
Sponsored

bodam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Auto
There is a place near my house, UTC I think the name is. I haven't used them though...