Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.j-w-racing.co.uk
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
S550 Magnetic Grey
we didn't see the HPFP holding us back to we went past 400hp so you can defo add a turbo upgrade of some nature before the HPFP

we are using a Borg Warner unit but it was part of a kit and as you say that kit requires manifolds etc so becomes quite an investment as it wont likely mount to your existing exhaust either

most kits come with new intercooler piping , blow off valves and anything else they can chuck in

if you are not worried about big power a hybrid might be the way forward just to squeeze a bit more from the car without having to change anything but the turbo

problem there is I guarantee Adam will tell you its a waste of time

he might be right but I just find the whole dismissal of things to try a bit frustrating , why not at least give it a go and see what can be done , generally speaking hybrids do have an effect

I have spare turbos here so could easily get one built if interested

what was the unit you were referring to ?

cheers

Jason
Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
we didn't see the HPFP holding us back to we went past 400hp so you can defo add a turbo upgrade of some nature before the HPFP

we are using a Borg Warner unit but it was part of a kit and as you say that kit requires manifolds etc so becomes quite an investment as it wont likely mount to your existing exhaust either

most kits come with new intercooler piping , blow off valves and anything else they can chuck in

if you are not worried about big power a hybrid might be the way forward just to squeeze a bit more from the car without having to change anything but the turbo

problem there is I guarantee Adam will tell you its a waste of time

he might be right but I just find the whole dismissal of things to try a bit frustrating , why not at least give it a go and see what can be done , generally speaking hybrids do have an effect

I have spare turbos here so could easily get one built if interested

what was the unit you were referring to ?

cheers

Jason
It's the one adams hyping at the moment, the turbonetics nx2, it's a drop in like the vargas was, not a turbo kit. so it's stock placement, does a bit better with power listings (think both were rated to go around 500 on fbo + supporting mods/fuel etc). After vargas decided their turbos would go explode a compressor wheel and sh1t their guts out. Which is apparently something they did on bimmers too :lol:

As for hybrids, it's worth a try, why not, if it adds power.

JWR

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.j-w-racing.co.uk
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
S550 Magnetic Grey
That TN unit is essentially what I'm running but without the hassle , when I got my kit you couldn't get these type of units. Hence having to buy a kit with a manifold etc included

What you see there makes life so much easier as it incorporates the required manifold and I guess accepts all stock hardware so you don't have to change cooler pipes , downpipes and so on

problem is like all turbos / turbo kits they claim 500/520+ and they can achieve it but they wont get anywhere near unless you change all the other parts like the exhaust system , intercooler and hard pipes , fuel pump , software etc etc

cheers

Jason

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
That TN unit is essentially what I'm running but without the hassle , when I got my kit you couldn't get these type of units. Hence having to buy a kit with a manifold etc included

What you see there makes life so much easier as it incorporates the required manifold and I guess accepts all stock hardware so you don't have to change cooler pipes , downpipes and so on

problem is like all turbos / turbo kits they claim 500/520+ and they can achieve it but they wont get anywhere near unless you change all the other parts like the exhaust system , intercooler and hard pipes , fuel pump , software etc etc

cheers

Jason
Oh god yeah, much easier now with drop in filters, any tool box mechanic could install it.

But yes, as I said, you can't get their peak power without the supporting mods, fuel, etc. Usually the peak BHP ignores things like NOS, Meth, etc. Alas, with turbos you also can land into the world of "drivability vs power" where, there are turbos that'll put the EBM way into the high 800s wheel horses, but, the car drives like total sh1te because it only hits high BHP for a fraction of a second. Whereas ideally you want something that spools fast (Ball bearing twin scroll usually) with something that pumps a boatload of sustainable power out.

JWR

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.j-w-racing.co.uk
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
S550 Magnetic Grey
Oh god yeah, much easier now with drop in filters, any tool box mechanic could install it.

But yes, as I said, you can't get their peak power without the supporting mods, fuel, etc. Usually the peak BHP ignores things like NOS, Meth, etc. Alas, with turbos you also can land into the world of "drivability vs power" where, there are turbos that'll put the EBM way into the high 800s wheel horses, but, the car drives like total sh1te because it only hits high BHP for a fraction of a second. Whereas ideally you want something that spools fast (Ball bearing twin scroll usually) with something that pumps a boatload of sustainable power out.
indeed, not sure we will go for silly power , probably 500ish at the crank will be nice

for that likely need cams , rods , pistons , bearings , bit of head work etc

not too sure if I need to go to the extreme of swapping the block out for the 2.0 version

that's another expensive route as Ford UK wont just sell the block , you have to get all the internals as well (although I guess they will have some 2nd hand value)

Sponsored

Snap On Pete

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
S550GT 2017MY Grabber Blue
I finally got round to my first mod today. This meant I was able to get my fender protectors out for the first time in 9 years!!

I fitted the Ford Performance hood struts and wasn't keen on the instructions stating I should drill a 1" hole in the battery cover. I had a better idea..

I thought I'd cut a hole the same shape as the support so it would look a little tidier when in place. I think it does??

I'm sad like that, and will spend longer doing a job if I think I can get a better result.
Excellent neat job done there..:clap2:

I am just about to fit my exact same ones...in a Grabber Blue too..;)
Did you make a template up first or just guesswork as you went along..

What did you cut the plastic with may i ask..
Peter

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
indeed, not sure we will go for silly power , probably 500ish at the crank will be nice

for that likely need cams , rods , pistons , bearings , bit of head work etc

not too sure if I need to go to the extreme of swapping the block out for the 2.0 version

that's another expensive route as Ford UK wont just sell the block , you have to get all the internals as well (although I guess they will have some 2nd hand value)
Yeah 500 you can get with uprating internals, along with some minor supporting mods when doing the engine like gaskets etc. (and welding the soft spot), once you start running into the modded blocks you can go high power, but then you're paying for a new block.

have you considered a Balance shaft delete yet? I've seen a few guys talking up some 'gains' with this? (gains as in, less vibration on the engine and lessening the fail rate of engines, but not seen anything concrete)

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
Yeah 500 you can get with uprating internals, along with some minor supporting mods when doing the engine like gaskets etc. (and welding the soft spot), once you start running into the modded blocks you can go high power, but then you're paying for a new block.

have you considered a Balance shaft delete yet? I've seen a few guys talking up some 'gains' with this? (gains as in, less vibration on the engine and lessening the fail rate of engines, but not seen anything concrete)

At the end of the day the only reason most people went for the eb over the v8 was insurance since its certainly not economy (eb is barely better than the v8).
So the obvious primary issue here is cost once you start spending thousands on the EB you'd be better off just buying a crate v8 and sticking it in there. or holding out a couple of years until the insurance dives then buy the v8 and have instantly the power levels that you're talking about spending thousands to reach.

Don't get me wrong i'm all for tuning where there's no better engine options available but in your case there's better engine options available!

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
At the end of the day the only reason most people went for the eb over the v8 was insurance since its certainly not economy (eb is barely better than the v8).
So the obvious primary issue here is cost once you start spending thousands on the EB you'd be better off just buying a crate v8 and sticking it in there. or holding out a couple of years until the insurance dives then buy the v8 and have instantly the power levels that you're talking about spending thousands to reach.

Don't get me wrong i'm all for tuning where there's no better engine options available but in your case there's better engine options available!
Valid points. FWIW I was at this moral dilemma about a year ago...did a fair amount of research on tuning the EB, as you say - it is an expensive game. Even had an exhaust picked out.

Figured that the ÂŁ2k or so I was planning on spending could go towards a v8, so that's what I did. Took me a lifetime to make that decision but that was my personal preference.

That said, I do miss the EB at times & I understand why people buy it/stick with it - it's more suited as a daily driver, easier on the wallet etc. Insurance wasn't a big deal for me luckily, and I will be paying less in tax in July than I did for the EB! (ÂŁ140 vs ÂŁ230)

JWR

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.j-w-racing.co.uk
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
S550 Magnetic Grey

lots of sense to this argument but again insurance wasn't the point for me

I wanted to get into a mustang the ÂŁ5k or so saving on the EB vs the V8 , the chance to at least make a start on the tuning side before the RS boys got into the motor was also of interest to us in particular

the weight was an issue too , I considered the lower kerb weight of the EB an advantage also

If I look at the engine modifications alone (cos most of the other mods cost the same on a V8 as they do on EB) I still think I'm inside the cost of the V8 , particularly as certain parts are now more suitable and therefore more economical to reach the same point.

I guess its swings and roundabouts but its been a fun challenge trying to get the EB into and beyond V8 power

For us early birds buying the 2015 / 2016 cars the gap wasn't so small and the V8 was indeed a great buy for only a few ÂŁÂŁ more but now the gap has widened I believe and the EB will prove ever more popular I'm sure

cheers

Jason :)

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase

I costed this for gibbo before, i won't bother doing it again, it still works out cheaper, swapping an engine (2.3 for 2.3 modded) is cheaper than 2.3 to 5(trust me i've asked).

As jason mentions, (and i did formerly) there's power, power delivery, and power to weight. If you got 400 bph in a lighter car, it's going to walk something with more power.

I picked mine up at 31k, it's now 38k. If i could buy a new EB vs a used V8 and save cost, it'd probably sway me off the insurance cost. That said, it's 31k for '310' bhp (275 actually) and a mustang, which if you mod "smart" and (dont do a me and buy everything known to man) you can achieve 360(or if you want a happy dyno-400) horses without much cost, and keep it under a v8s cost.

There's loads going into the equation more than just "cost of car/insurance/running" it's a primary feature. But this isn't a v8 vs EBM debate.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
my thought was you can pick up a v8 crate engine for 5k so between hpfp then the cost of bigger injectors, bigger turbo, head work, rods/bearings/pistons/ patching the weak spot in the block etc you're easy breaking 5k once you start getting into serious engine work and the power/weight arguement doesn't even really sway it as yes the v8 is heavier but the torque/power delivery and ease of which to boost to 600+ at the end of the day you're paying the difference between the v8 and eb just to bring the eb to v8 levels. if you started with a v8 then you'd have something much more reliable without being a highly strung 4 pot

I do love the little eb engine hell i have 2 cars with it in but i'd rather take a hardly stressed v8 over a highly strung eb at the same power levels.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
my thought was you can pick up a v8 crate engine for 5k so between hpfp then the cost of bigger injectors, bigger turbo, head work, rods/bearings/pistons/ patching the weak spot in the block etc you're easy breaking 5k once you start getting into serious engine work and the power/weight arguement doesn't even really sway it as yes the v8 is heavier but the torque/power delivery and ease of which to boost to 600+ at the end of the day you're paying the difference between the v8 and eb just to bring the eb to v8 levels. if you started with a v8 then you'd have something much more reliable without being a highly strung 4 pot

I do love the little eb engine hell i have 2 cars with it in but i'd rather take a hardly stressed v8 over a highly strung eb at the same power levels.
Ah right gotcha. If that was the case, and it was just as simple as that, it'd be an option, but some just like to prove others wrong with the EBm platform. I do agree, it starts getting pretty stressed stock block with an AM turbo, but hey, people do what they do. Mod it break it repair it do it all again :lol::lol:

Crate engine means new mounts, new loom (i think), new exhaust system, changing front suspension etc and other bits and bobs. I haven't bothered to cost up an entire V8 conversion. I'd just asked insurance about it and got laughed at (literally!)

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Crate engine means new mounts, new loom (i think), new exhaust system, changing front suspension etc and other bits and bobs. I haven't bothered to cost up an entire V8 conversion. I'd just asked insurance about it and got laughed at (literally!)
Also looked in to this. It has been done before, there is a blog about it somewhere on the web - my thinking was "maybe in 10 years time, I'll drop a crate engine in there". But as MM says, by the time you have added all the bits, paid someone else to do the work (I would), you're looking at double the cost of the engine itself easy.

My man maths told me that if I buy the V8 now, I save myself money in the long run :)
Sponsored