Sponsored

A/C Evaporator Factory Defect

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Compressor-refrigerant based car air conditioning has been mainstream for 50+ years now; granted it's a harsh application (and there have been government-forced changes to refrigerants and the like) but you'd think they'd have the reliability figured out.

Actually, I'm positive they do have the reliability "figured out"; they know what materials and designs work. But they are under tremendous pressure from bean counters to make the system come in at bare minimum cost and minimal weight and the lowest possible drag on fuel economy, so they end up underdesigning the parts. Or the suppliers themselves cut corners and deliver parts below spec because they are skimping on materials or QC or both.

In spite of our technology and advances in manufacturing, so many appliances and products are basically disposable junk compared to how they were made 40 or 50 years ago. Yeah, it's cheap but I'd rather pay more and buy something that lasts. /Soapbox mode over.

Edit: /Soapbox mode resumes

In response to Cobra Jet's post... if I ran a car company, I'd be closely monitoring warranty claims and complaints (especially on new models), and would have an "action team" for each car model to come up with hotfixes for problems that are clearly widespread. Or at least plans to make fixes on a year by year basis. But (not just on Ford) it seems like some car models just have the same problem areas for years before they are fixed, and it baffles me that you can run a business that way.
Sponsored

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Because it's WAY cheaper to fix them as they (or if they do) come in than recall and fix EVERY one; probably by many times over the cost. All a business decision.

/debate on that.

clicklogical

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Convertible Performance Pack
Compressor-refrigerant based car air conditioning has been mainstream for 50+ years now; granted it's a harsh application (and there have been government-forced changes to refrigerants and the like) but you'd think they'd have the reliability figured out.

Actually, I'm positive they do have the reliability "figured out"; they know what materials and designs work. But they are under tremendous pressure from bean counters to make the system come in at bare minimum cost and minimal weight and the lowest possible drag on fuel economy, so they end up underdesigning the parts. Or the suppliers themselves cut corners and deliver parts below spec because they are skimping on materials or QC or both.

In spite of our technology and advances in manufacturing, so many appliances and products are basically disposable junk compared to how they were made 40 or 50 years ago. Yeah, it's cheap but I'd rather pay more and buy something that lasts. /Soapbox mode over.

Edit: /Soapbox mode resumes

In response to Cobra Jet's post... if I ran a car company, I'd be closely monitoring warranty claims and complaints (especially on new models), and would have an "action team" for each car model to come up with hotfixes for problems that are clearly widespread. Or at least plans to make fixes on a year by year basis. But (not just on Ford) it seems like some car models just have the same problem areas for years before they are fixed, and it baffles me that you can run a business that way.
^^^^ What this guy said. I second it. And look forward to the next resumption of soap box mode. :cheers:

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black Ecoboost Base Auto w/ 19's
I think the issue is more widespread than we know.. Lol.

I made an appointment online to see my service guy at the dealer, when I arrived I told him my AC stopped working, he said immediately they have to replace the evaporator core.. I dropped my car off at 10am yesterday, picked it up at 12 noon today and my AC is nice and cold again.. heh. They also fixed the broken air vents.. Needless to say, I'm satisfied.

bmatt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP, 2014 Honda Odyssey EX-L
I think the issue is more widespread than we know.. Lol.

I made an appointment online to see my service guy at the dealer, when I arrived I told him my AC stopped working, he said immediately they have to replace the evaporator core.. I dropped my car off at 10am yesterday, picked it up at 12 noon today and my AC is nice and cold again.. heh. They also fixed the broken air vents.. Needless to say, I'm satisfied.
They seem to do a good job with dash removal? Curious to see if/how many new rattles are introduced.

Sponsored

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black Ecoboost Base Auto w/ 19's
They seem to do a good job with dash removal? Curious to see if/how many new rattles are introduced.
I had a rattle coming from the headlight/fog light switch area previously (rattle would stopped when I pushed down the trim piece there).. seems to have gone away.

I did find a broken plastic tab on the floor.. dunno where it came from, otherwise everything seems fine.. I'm not too concerned, I plan on trading in my car in a year anyway... hopefully.

bmatt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP, 2014 Honda Odyssey EX-L
Mine has been working now since I went in and they didnt find anything. I suspect they topped the system off when they added the dye. I noticed now that the A/C seems to be toggling appropriately as well, it used to either always be on or off regardless of heating or cooling. I wonder if there was an update for that. By always on or off I mean I could turn it on or off manually but it wouldn't update it if the thermostat was higher or lower than ambient temperature.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Mine is out, haven't even noticed since I mostly drive with the top down and it's been cool, but recently [here in FL] been plenty hot enough to need the A/C.

Almost definitely the evaporator given the symptoms - funny enough, we had the same A/C evap failure in our '08 4Runner. My car is a '16, about 12K miles.

I'll take it in week after next, the car is under warranty, and I don't daily drive, so it inconvenient, but not life altering :D

ATLDesigns550

Threads
Reaction score
Website
craigbrimanson.myportfolio.com
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Ecoboost
I haven't noticed any additional rattles after my evap core was replaced. I do seem to notice the engine noise a little bit more since though. That is not a complaint btw

Sponsored

7thStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Triple Yellow Ecoboot Premium
Just got mine done today. My local Ford dealer did it in one day. He told me that they stock about 30 Evaporators in stock, that the do a minimum of 3 per week. He said only 2015's. And that the update should fix it permanently. My wife picked up the car, the only problem so far is with the door open it won't stop chiming. I'll see if there are any other problems tomorrow. But for now it's got to go back for the chime.

VirginiaF1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard V6 051 Auto
Dropped mine off this morning for A/C fail and P1450 code..
Service advised me this afternoon that the tech "replaced a leaking A/C valve".
They are keeping overnight to cold test the Purge Evap issue tmw morning.

I mentioned twice the "known Evaporator issues" but they played dead.
Will post results in this thread tomorrow.

Is there any chance that not every Evaporator fails?
I have 6,000 miles left on my 36k Bumper to Bumper.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
southern state evaps fail more than up north is from what we've observed in threads like these.

VirginiaF1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard V6 051 Auto
Warranty work completed in 1 business day:
P1450 Purge Valve Failure Code
Remedy: Dealer tested then replaced Canister Purge Valve.

A/C Fails to Cool
Remedy: Dealer found Low-Side Valve Core Loose.
Re-tourqed Valve Core to spec, recharged refrigerant, tested.

My Door Latch Recall parts should be here early May.

P.S.: Concerned my Evaporator has yet to rear its ugly head.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Dropped mine off this morning for A/C fail and P1450 code..
Service advised me this afternoon that the tech "replaced a leaking A/C valve".
They are keeping overnight to cold test the Purge Evap issue tmw morning.

I mentioned twice the "known Evaporator issues" but they played dead.
Will post results in this thread tomorrow.

Is there any chance that not every Evaporator fails?
I have 6,000 miles left on my 36k Bumper to Bumper.
That sounds weak sauce.
You can play that game too: blow some dye up the condensate line before taking it in...

Better yet, just find the best freaking bakery in the area and take 3 or 4 boxes of pastries or cinnamon rolls or something nice in. Always start with the techs in back. Walk into the bays in back like you are supposed to be there and hand out as many in person as possible. Make sure and learn name of first tech you come across. Then any manager sees you, you tell them that tech wanted their manager to get one too and hand the manager a pastry. Keep going until all the staff are walking around munching and everyone wants to know if you are the guy with the pastries.

Eventually they will ask you what you are in for. Best $50 you will spend that morning.

If you can, find a tech at a dealer that has experience doing the evap cause its less painful if they have a tech that knows them since it will go faster.
If its a first time tech.. f that, hell bust every tab and leave the thing rattling.
Sponsored