Sponsored

A/C Evaporator Factory Defect

Mulestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Something things that would be interesting to find out.

Is the replacement part just as defective as the one they are pulling out?
Does it affect all years? Even though the brand spanking new '17s?
Is there anyway the EPA can mandate the systems not leak refrigerant out to the environment by design?
Wondering if the stuff is harmful, thinking since the hvac system blows all the cabin air over the cores coils, it must be leaking into the passenger compartment for our lungs to filter.
I was told by my service advisor it was an improved part. I've seen other places online that they're from a new supplier. Nothing confirmed though...just word of mouth and interwebs chatter.
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
OK, thanks.

Here is a vid from a 2010 Mustang evaporator core replacement. Posted 2016 so say 6 to 7 year old car.

The vid is both horrifying and amusing (audio).

What a f*@king mess !!

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I was told by my service advisor it was an improved part. I've seen other places online that they're from a new supplier. Nothing confirmed though...just word of mouth and interwebs chatter.
Thanks for giving your 2 cents.

BobbyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Just had the same issue on my car, along with the compressor going out. Had to replace A/C completely. At the dealership now.

Happened the day after I took my car in for regular maintenance too...

I noticed it from a whine when starting the vehicle up. A loud whine that would continue and grow progressively louder, then no cold air.

Sponsored

porter7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Premium GT
is that dash/interior removal the same procedure for the 2015+ mustang!?!
Yup! Here's an image I snagged from another thread from Need4Speed15. This is a 2015 mustang. Having it done on my car now :frusty:
IMG_4186.jpg

bmatt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP, 2014 Honda Odyssey EX-L
Just had the same issue on my car, along with the compressor going out. Had to replace A/C completely. At the dealership now.

Happened the day after I took my car in for regular maintenance too...

I noticed it from a whine when starting the vehicle up. A loud whine that would continue and grow progressively louder, then no cold air.
That is interesting, mine appears to be having an issue too. I called the dealer this morning and they scheduled me for next Tuesday to look at it, they didn't know anything about bad evaporator cores, supposedly. I have noticed an odd whining/whirring noise when driving through the parking garage at work as well, wonder if it is related? Could this cause a problem to continue operating?

Long Run Nick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2016 ECB Manual Prem PP Nav CO "Orange Crush"
Mine went out at 4,800 miles! I posted in another thread about my 9 day ordeal. Got car back last Fri. All working great. Tech did a super job. Not found anything that would reveal the whole dash was taken out. Hopefully no more issues. I buy new cars to avoid aggravation.

bmatt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP, 2014 Honda Odyssey EX-L
Mine went out at 4,800 miles! I posted in another thread about my 9 day ordeal. Got car back last Fri. All working great. Tech did a super job. Not found anything that would reveal the whole dash was taken out. Hopefully no more issues. I buy new cars to avoid aggravation.
Thats good to hear, I was worried about the dash. Hopefully mine goes smoothly. I did notice my passenger side is cooler too, I manually disabled the AC for now. The odd thing is the climate control always showed AC lit no matter if it was heating or cooling, I always thought it was odd. Now I wonder if it had been running all the time. My Honda with climate control would disable AC if it was heating, I believe. Maybe a software glitch?

Last edited:

Sponsored

lilgdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Mine went out at 23k, took two weeks to get it in for service locally. took it to the dealer Monday, got it back Wednesday, all they did was evacuate the system and recharge, tech said Ford would not authorize replacement of any ac components, which he said was the problem, he said it "locked" up due to a sensor issue, said ford knows about it, but they did not authorize tearing the dash out for any parts replacement

Long Run Nick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2016 ECB Manual Prem PP Nav CO "Orange Crush"
Mine went out at 23k, took two weeks to get it in for service locally. took it to the dealer Monday, got it back Wednesday, all they did was evacuate the system and recharge, tech said Ford would not authorize replacement of any ac components, which he said was the problem, he said it "locked" up due to a sensor issue, said ford knows about it, but they did not authorize tearing the dash out for any parts replacement
Suggest you contact Ford. From a little research it appears that in a lot of cases it is the evaporator, which is a timely job. One of the techs I talked with advised that Ford starting sending out a whole new replacement for the evaporator. Up until recently they would replace just the core evaporator. The new part is the whole deal.
Let us know what Ford has to say. Also,
might not hurt to talk to other Ford dealer service managers.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I don't seem to see our local Ford Service Rep member chiming in on many threads like this anymore. Have they stopped monitoring the board? Mostly in response to posts like lilgdad where it's obvious the dealership is not up to speed on what's going on with issues with the Mustang.

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black Ecoboost Base Auto w/ 19's
My AC just died.. took ownership in Oct 2015.. 16MY, 8,900 miles exactly.. Sad day.. especially in the Florida weather.. Lol.

I was planning to cancel my Ford ESP.. I might have to use it now for the loaner car..

15dib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
My a/c stopped blowing cold air and it sounds like something is stuck because it doesn't blow air as much as it did yesterday. It sucks because I have 43k miles. I never noticed any odd noises due to longtubes and the procharger. I'm hoping it's not the evaporated and something else that's minor.
Any ideas?
Sponsored