Sponsored

Terrible paint defect

amotorsports

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 PROCHARGED BLACK GT PREMIUIM
Half my car is paint flawed. It looks terrible. Not to mention it is black and the more you clean the car the worse it looks... I rather just leave the dirt on the car.....
paint_mustang.jpg
Sponsored

Ultrakla$$ic

Whoflung Poo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Ingot Silver Premium
Need better pics and storyline............that looks terrible.

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
Was the car prepped and detailed by the dealer?
Seems like somebody really jacked it up and the paint needs major correction.

redline727

Thread Killer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Vehicle(s)
2021 Oxford White Mustang GT
A really good detailer that specializes in paint correction can take care of that. But it won't be cheap.

SkattrBrane

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 Race Red
Looks like it was cleaned with a scotch brite pad!

Sponsored

OP
OP
amotorsports

amotorsports

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was deployed and bought the car at the overseas location. I picked it up in the states soon after returning. After that I took it to get work done on it and my mechanic called me and said their was something wrong with my clearcoat. When I went over to his shop under the fluorescent light it is very awful. Now that I know its their I cant miss it. It looks like someone wiped the car down on one side with something on a rag that eat the clear or wasn't prepped properly before clear. it also seems to look like its getting worse. Im the only one that has washed the car so Im 100 percent positive that I didn't do this. I alos only have 5k on the car. This is my hobby car....Im just wondering if anyone else has had this happen. I seen one like this earlier on hear is the reason I posted....

OP
OP
amotorsports

amotorsports

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01-09-2015, 03:19 AM #1 VRYALT3R3D

Drives: '15 GT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Defect in the paint on rear bumper

:rant:

I will be going to the body shop on Monday to see if they can fix it without a repaint.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
To me it resembles hazing due to improper washing/waxing - or if car is run through car wash - and many swirl marks can be seen too. Not saying you did it, just relaying what it "looks like".

Your Ford Service Center body shop should be able to buff that all out using proper products that will remove the hazing and all of the swirls too.

Black cars are a PIA for clear coat care especially if wash mits/sponges have any type of debris stuck in them (same is true with buffer or wax pads). Also when cars are taken through local automated car washes, there's always shit on their materials too as it rubs up and down the vehicle.

Never use the brushes or wands at a self serve car wash bay on the body of your car - I've seen too many Contractor trucks, 4Wheelers and "Mudders" use those bays and the wands to wipe down all the mud and grit from their vehicles... That stuff transfers to the next vehicle!

I used to own a Black 1992 Mustang GT, a Black 1984 SVO and a 1995 Cosmos Black BMW M3 - they all looked super incredible when clean and waxed up - but the maintenance for the exterior of a Black car is just tedious...

Last edited:
OP
OP
amotorsports

amotorsports

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
im the only one to wash the car. I always use clean rags. I wash by hand. At first I thought it might of been from hard water. Its only on one half of the car is the weird part. Like two people were cleaning it. Im not two people. As much money and time I have in this car for the paint to look this bad is ridiculous. At nmra they took pics and I said hey only take on this side.grrrrrr

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Was it like this from the dealer?
Some dealers just wipe their dirty cars down with a wet towel. Its like sand papering the car.
Also when you say you wash the car yourself. How are you washing it exactly? What are you using?
A bad hand wash can cause more damage than using a machine.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Try this - go to your local auto parts store, pick up a bottle of this:

http://www.meguiars.com/m-en/product/1666/ultimate-compound

It's safe to use - don't sweat the "compound" in the name.

In the shade (garage, carport or under trees), use it on a 2'x2' section. If doing the fender, apply it length wise - DO NOT apply or remove in a circular motion (with any product). If applying by hand (or orbital), DO NOT press extremely hard when applying or removing the product. You want to keep an even weight and pressure on the body panel. When removing, remove the product with a micro fiber towel. Then look at it, see if the appearance improves. If appearance does improve, keep using the product in the same area until the hazing and swirls are completely gone, then move to next section.

Once done with the product, then apply your favorite wax or polish - in the same manner - NO circular motion.

Black paint shows the most swirls, so try not to do the circular motion. If using a buffer system like a Porter Cable 7424, that buffer won't leave swirls even though it's pad rotates in an orbital manner., more so when using it in a left-to-right or up-down motion.

OP
OP
amotorsports

amotorsports

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will try this...

MikeD1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat
^^^ What Phil said.

Hard to tell from the pic you posted, but it does look like wash damage from dirty/rough towels & rags or a bad buff job by some dealership noob or they were dry wiping the car.

Black is the absolute worst for showing every tiny defect & requires meticulous care to keep it looking good. I had 2 black cars in a row & it was a PITA keeping them looking good.

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
I'm really sorry this happened to your car.
Some one who did not know what they doing handled/prepped/detailed this car.
A competent detailer should be able to perform the needed correction...figure a few days of work and $600-800 for good results.
Thank you for your service.
USAF, NC
'94-02

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
Go to Harbor Freight and get one of these and a blue pad. Go to a paint supply store and get this or order it from Amazon. With a black car, you will use these over and over! Great investment.
You really can't hurt the paint with a blue pad and Finesse It. Take your time and do a 2x2ft section at a time. take the pad off and rinse it out a dry it with a towel when it gets dry compound on it. After you do a panel, wax it with a high quality carnauba past wax.
Here are a couple of pictures of a tank I painted after wet sanding and then buffing with the above products. Did I mention, take your time...
WP_20150725_001.jpg
WP_20150725_003.jpg
Sponsored