Sponsored

Ford reducing total platforms to 5, one RWD unibody, new Explorer will be RWD...

articrandom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang
I have never been a fan of SUVs, especially not the 90% of them that get sold nowadays, nothing but a lifted, smaller version of a sedan... bulkier and more likely to flip. Yes, people are like sheep and believe that they will be safer in them and they think they are just higher in them and see the road better (but they will not use blinkers or side mirrors).

Anyway, I am actually happy to see that the sedan market is getting quite a few AWD/RWD and powerful engines. My next car, if I need more room, will be either the Taurus SHO, Fusion Sport, Charger Hemi, VW Arteon, or the Kia Stinger GT.

Hopefully the SUV era will die soon and people get a real SUV car if they really need AWD, room, and "drive higher" and not a wanna be SUV.
Sponsored

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
I have never been a fan of SUVs, especially not the 90% of them that get sold nowadays, nothing but a lifted, smaller version of a sedan... bulkier and more likely to flip. Yes, people are like sheep and believe that they will be safer in them and they think they are just higher in them and see the road better (but they will not use blinkers or side mirrors).

Anyway, I am actually happy to see that the sedan market is getting quite a few AWD/RWD and powerful engines. My next car, if I need more room, will be either the Taurus SHO, Fusion Sport, Charger Hemi, VW Arteon, or the Kia Stinger GT.

Hopefully the SUV era will die soon and people get a real SUV car if they really need AWD, room, and "drive higher" and not a wanna be SUV.
To be fair, SUVs are great for the area around here. Many store fronts and shopping centers have steep inclines where if I brought my mustang it would scrape. The sedans that come out nowadays, like my friends civic, are lower and scrape more than my mustang.

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

carguy1701

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Fusion Titanium

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Generally Iā€™m pissed that since the change in government here and theā€I donā€™t give a crap about the environment or the futureā€mentality, auto companies are starting to push the SUVā€™s and crossovers again.
Car companies sell what people want to buy. They don't force people to buy anything.

If anything the government is still encouraging people to buy little crap boxes, electrics and overly complicated hybrids. Most people would prefer to drive something larger though, and are willing to pay more for it.

I'd love a pickup, but with the current government policies they have become far too expensive for my tastes. I still see a ton of them on the road though. I'm not sure how people afford them. IMO you should be able to get an entry pickup for less than a base Mustang. It used to be that way, but no more.

Sponsored

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Generally Iā€™m pissed that since the change in government here and theā€I donā€™t give a crap about the environment or the futureā€mentality, auto companies are starting to push the SUVā€™s and crossovers again. Saying coupes and sedans arenā€™t selling. Tell that to the Germans, tell that to the japanese. I work for Toyota, Camryā€™s are still selling very well because they are redesigned, look good and offer great content for the money. The Fusion is a great car, you know why itā€™s not selling? Because the dash and interior still look like my 2013! The engine and driveline are terrific and the AWD option is a major plus for me. Toyota and BMW just spent hundreds of millions on the new Supra and Z4whichnBmW will sell very well and Toyota may do the same with the Supra, unlike the Toyota 86. People will buy whatever product you make if itā€™s marketed correctly and offers things that are unique and high content. Iā€™m not an suv guy. I MAY want a Bronco, but Iā€™d be far more interested in a Fusion AWD sedan that is styled well, has good performance and offers a beautiful cabin. Not that I should have to say this but I LOVE my Mustang and want more cars like that from Ford than SUVs like the Explorer!
Blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Sales on SUV's, Crossovers and trucks are legitimately higher in the US. People buy what they want, and if they wanted sedans, then they would buy sedans.

That's the free market at work.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I ended up buying a sedan for my daily because I just don't really enjoy driving an SUV nor have the need for it. Plus side to this, you can get a great deal on one because everyone is buying an SUV.

MadCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
You guys say that now while gas is relatively cheap. A few years ago when it was $4 a gallon their was a lot of crying. When it gets there again we will see how everyone who doesn't haul or tow anything loves to daily their trucks and SUVs.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
You guys say that now while gas is relatively cheap. A few years ago when it was $4 a gallon their was a lot of crying. When it gets there again we will see how everyone who doesn't haul or tow anything loves to daily their trucks and SUVs.
It would be awesome (not really) if gas prices went up, because then maybe I could afford to buy a pickup. People don't always realize how small their gas bill is compared to their car payments.

Sponsored

itguy08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, 2010 Taurus SHO, 2011 F150
It would be awesome (not really) if gas prices went up, because then maybe I could afford to buy a pickup. People don't always realize how small their gas bill is compared to their car payments.
Used could help - that's the only way we could afford a pickup with the features we wanted.

It's amazing - last time gas spiked to $4, I did a spreadsheet comparing the various MPG levels over a week's commute. It's not as great as you would think. Even $1 extra a gallon is not that much when you figure a $300+ month car payment.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Used could help - that's the only way we could afford a pickup with the features we wanted.

It's amazing - last time gas spiked to $4, I did a spreadsheet comparing the various MPG levels over a week's commute. It's not as great as you would think. Even $1 extra a gallon is not that much when you figure a $300+ month car payment.
Once a vehicle gets close to 20 mpg there isn't a lot of savings left unless you drive way more than most people do. Now, if you have an older pickup that gets single digit fuel economy - then you can save real money with a more fuel efficient vehicle.

carguy1701

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
You have it exactly backward. RIP Mustang if it can't share a platform - just has it has for most of it's history.
Pretty much this. GM was smart to move the Camaro on to Zeta and then Alpha. The Challenger, assuming it continues, may share a platform with the Alfa Romeo Guilia in the future.

carguy1701

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
When was the last time Mustang even had a clean slate platform anyway? SN95, S197, S550 are modified versions of each other. A whole revamp is a good thing. Weight savings is the future, and if the Explorer gets aluminumized so will the Mustang with the platform costs shared between each other.
S197 and S550 shared nothing with SN95, and S550 was the closest thing it ever had to a clean slate redesign; S197 shared floorpan and firewall stampings with the DEW98 platform (better known as the Lincoln LS/Jaguar X-type), but was otherwise unique.
Sponsored

Last edited: