Sponsored

A/C Evaporator Factory Defect

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
The fact that they are not issuing recalls for this tells me that they don't give a shit. That's why I plan on bringing my car in for every tiny problem and having them fix it under bumper to bumper.
Car companies typically don't do recalls unless it's safety related, which this problem isn't. And they usually have to be forced to do safety recalls by the Gov't, but sometimes the car company will put one out by themselves.

Maybe if enough people contacted Ford they would extend the warranty just on the evaporator beyond the normal 3 year/36K miles factory warranty. :shrug:
Sponsored

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
It seems that everyone has this problem. Could this be a reason for a class action?

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Car companies typically don't do recalls unless it's safety related, which this problem isn't. And they usually have to be forced to do safety recalls by the Gov't, but sometimes the car company will put one out by themselves.

Maybe if enough people contacted Ford they would extend the warranty just on the evaporator beyond the normal 3 year/36K miles factory warranty. :shrug:
Suppose to be 112 for the next four days... is that safety related? Lol

surfs1st

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR GT
Mine died last week, Ford has had it for 6 days. I was lucky my warranty still has 9 thousand miles remaining. Supposed to be 102 here today. I'm military, slated to transfer in 4 days, was supposed to drive to my next duty station, that's not happening now. Going to have to fly there, check in, fly back and then drive, all on my dime. My 16 year olds 2006 Taurus, has had less problems than this 2 year old mustang.

The car is fun to drive, but its got to go before it runs out of warranty. Its just not reliable.

S7N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 KIA STINGER GT1 AWD
Another reason to have an extended warranty unless you're not keeping the car.

Sponsored

surfs1st

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR GT
So they said it was 1/3 low on refrigerant. They emptied it and refilled with UV dye and were unable to find any leak. They checked the AC drain for UV dye to see if it was in the evaporator. No luck, they told me to to bring it back if it stops working again so they can check for dye then.... oh welll I hope if it dies again its still in the warranty, i have 23k miles on it now:(
They tried the same thing with me after I told them it was the evaporator, they said it was a seal, wasted 2 days "fixing" a seal, then told me to come get it. They said if it broken again, bring it back, it was under warranty. I walked outside to get the car, and the car was already leaking refrigerant oil underneath. Handed the key back to them and left.

surfs1st

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR GT
John, regarding the smell, I think all you need is simply a filter change. As for the moisture you see coming out of the vents it's probably condensation because of the air humidity.
No mine was doing this too. What he's smelling is the refrigeration oil. It sprayed all over the cabin of my car when the evaporator failed.

Notes

Moustang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BLACK S550 EB/AT/PP/EU
It seems that everyone has this problem. Could this be a reason for a class action?
Sounds more like a reason for a EU recall! Funny though that the US had a few recall, but didn't' see any EU recalls for the same issues they had.

Another reason to have an extended warranty unless you're not keeping the car.
I wish I still could get the extended warranty...

chriswolf63

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 GMC SLT Premium Plus 4x4
My is also out. I dropped it off at ford, they said they will empty the system and pull a vaccum to see if there is a leak. The service writer said that with the new second gen r134a the system actually uses up a little refrigerant, I call BS on that. He also said there isn't a high pressure blow off, I could have sworn there I heard there was a blowoff of some sort when I tried to turn the AC on twice.
From the little I know about AC systems, most have a low pressure cutout sensor/switch to prevent the compressor from cavitation. There may or may not be a high pressure cutout.

chriswolf63

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Isn't it possible that if the EVAP core is leaking within the sealed HVAC box (which is behind the dash), then NO ONE would be able to see any UV dye since no one has the ability to see through solid objects with their EYES... geez, where's the common sense already. The EVAP core could still be defective even if the shop isn't seeing UV dye coming out of the drain tube.

Why doesn't the dealer reference the actual SSM that they have access to and replace the unit based on the facts provided within the SSM?

I have a feeling you'll be back at the dealer at a later date...
They can pump the system down and pull a vacuum on it. I'm amazed at some of the crap these FOMOCO Service Dept's are doing with this problem. There is no way this many S550's have low refrigerant. And new A/C systems don't use Freon. BS...BS...BS.. These recharges of refrigerant are just lazy Service folks trying to put a band aide on a serious environmental issue along with a known defective part... Mine has been in the shop for 16 frigging days now.. I have a 2016 GT Premium 401A fully loaded $43,465.00 MSRP that has less than 9,500 miles on it. My car was built on 17 May 2016, barely a year old and the whole front of the interior has to be ripped out for this... C'mon Man! Really? :shrug::doh::frusty: Sorry for the rant..........

Last edited:

Sponsored

chriswolf63

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
I currently have the same A/C issue on my car but slightly different.

I explain, my local dealer already recharged 2 times the system with new gaz, after that everything was fine, but now when I put the A/C the lowest I can to have cold air coming out, I have some kind of fog/moisture coming out the vents. It also smells not really good...

This is really annoying as this makes the cabin even more uncomfortable than just opening the windows.

Do you guys think it's the evaporator problem on my car ?
You are inhaling R134 refrigerant. I'd suggest taking the car back to the dealer and explain to them that your Evaporator Core is defective. Have them look into TSB #SSM-45815, NHTSA ID #10078988

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Adverse Health effects. The inhalation of high concentrations of R134a vapour may cause temporary central nervous system depression, with narcosis, lethargy and anaesthetic effects. Continued breathing of high concentrations of R134a vapours may produce cardiac irregularities, unconsciousness and death.

cechk01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
You are inhaling R134 refrigerant. I'd suggest taking the car back to the dealer and explain to them that your Evaporator Core is defective. Have them look into TSB #SSM-45815, NHTSA ID #10078988
That TSB is not explicitly about the Evap core

chriswolf63

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
same bullshit they fed me. they even said refrigerant gets used up while it cools the car.
So how does it get used up while it's cycling through a completely sealed system? I'm amazed at some of the BS that these FOMOCO service people are tell their customers. WTF??

Last edited:

surfs1st

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR GT
So how does it get used up while it's cycling through a completely sealed system? I'm amazed at some of the BS that these FOMOCO service people are tell their customers. FTW??

You and me both, completely unacceptable. They tired to fix just about everything else before the evaporator. I can only guess that they were hoping that by the time, it crapped out again and I brought it back again, it would be out of warranty. :mad:
Sponsored