Wrenching on the S550

OP
OP

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)
Agree with that! The biggest difference now is the ability to purchase classic muscle car parts from a book or website. I guess if you have enough money you can build the entire car with new parts. Sure beats junk yard hunting on a 90 degree day.

We looked for months to find a dash panel for a Chevelle in 1994, now you can buy them new.
That’s beautiful, engine pic?
Sponsored

OP
OP

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)
Installing a short-throw shifter was, for me, a pretty difficult and labor-intensive process.

If I hadn't done it solo in my driveway or if I had smaller arms/hands/chest it would have been easier, but as it was my Tri-Ax installation took on the order of about 8 hours and there were a couple times I nearly chucked tools down the street in anger.
This is not what I’m looking forward to when it comes time for the shifter. Lol

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
This is not what I’m looking forward to when it comes time for the shifter. Lol
The MGW shifter came close to being a fun install. But missed it by thaaaat much.

The instruction videos were great other than (a) having just an update for the current model procedure so you have to watch the original model video then un/relearn the changes in the new video, and (b) a few places where the voice over remembers to add something about a previous step, so do NOT do one step and then play some more of the video, repeat. I personally would have liked written instructions which would be easier to refer to while working.

But the ONE thing that was a problem was the factory bolt that mounts the shifter to the top of the transmission. On some cars depending on transmission/engine combination and some luck of the draw, there is not enough clearance to remove/install the bolt because the tunnel is too close. The "easy" fix is to pull down on the trans to move that bolt hole to a wider portion of the tunnel. VERY simple if on a lift where you can pull down with your full weight or if on jack-stands and you have two people to pull down on the trans. I felt lucky and started the job on jack-stands by myself. Due to a combination of factors, I was stopped for days waiting until someone could help me pull down on the trans for 2 minutes to start the bolt. So make sure you have another set of hands if you are doing it on ramps/stands just in case your car is one that needs two sets.

Still, a great product and very glad I did it.

OP
OP

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)
The MGW shifter came close to being a fun install. But missed it by thaaaat much.

The instruction videos were great other than (a) having just an update for the current model procedure so you have to watch the original model video then un/relearn the changes in the new video, and (b) a few places where the voice over remembers to add something about a previous step, so do NOT do one step and then play some more of the video, repeat. I personally would have liked written instructions which would be easier to refer to while working.

But the ONE thing that was a problem was the factory bolt that mounts the shifter to the top of the transmission. On some cars depending on transmission/engine combination and some luck of the draw, there is not enough clearance to remove/install the bolt because the tunnel is too close. The "easy" fix is to pull down on the trans to move that bolt hole to a wider portion of the tunnel. VERY simple if on a lift where you can pull down with your full weight or if on jack-stands and you have two people to pull down on the trans. I felt lucky and started the job on jack-stands by myself. Due to a combination of factors, I was stopped for days waiting until someone could help me pull down on the trans for 2 minutes to start the bolt. So make sure you have another set of hands if you are doing it on ramps/stands just in case your car is one that needs two sets.

Still, a great product and very glad I did it.
Just curious, how high did you have the car while doing this. Lowest jack stand setting or higher.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Just curious, how high did you have the car while doing this. Lowest jack stand setting or higher.
Jacks stands vary in height. Mine are Harbor Freight 6 tons and they were near the top. I never actually measured. But if you are thinking about how hard you can pull down on the trans with the car on jack stands, the answer isn't that much because any force greater than your upper body weight just pulls you off the floor. On a lift, you can use your total weight. Sooo, sometimes it takes two people if the car is on jack stands.

OP
OP

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)
Jacks stands vary in height. Mine are Harbor Freight 6 tons and they were near the top. I never actually measured. But if you are thinking about how hard you can pull down on the trans with the car on jack stands, the answer isn't that much because any force greater than your upper body weight just pulls you off the floor. On a lift, you can use your total weight. Sooo, sometimes it takes two people if the car is on jack stands.
Sorry, didn’t make my question clear. Reason for asking height was curious about ease of doing shifter. I’m guessing a lift would/could make the project easier but I’m like most people assuming jack stands are the most common way. I’ll do it in a few months, hopefully I can enlist someone who has experience doing one. Thanks

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Sorry, didn’t make my question clear. Reason for asking height was curious about ease of doing shifter. I’m guessing a lift would/could make the project easier but I’m like most people assuming jack stands are the most common way. I’ll do it in a few months, hopefully I can enlist someone who has experience doing one. Thanks
No other than the clearance for the top bolt, the rest was pretty easy on the stands. Would I do it on a lift if I had access? Sure; but I wouldn't hesitate to do it on stands again.

OP
OP

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)
Since we are on the subject of shifters. I’ll be doing a cat back after the first of the year, should I plan on doing the shifter while the exhaust is down or does it really matter. If it matters I will be doing the MGW

Sponsored
OP
OP

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)
[MENTION=27640]bjstang[/MENTION], nice job. Looks OEM. How well do you feel the noise reduction will hold up, how well is it made

cgreen5150

cgreen5150
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, Premium, PP, Recaros
Since we are on the subject of shifters. I’ll be doing a cat back after the first of the year, should I plan on doing the shifter while the exhaust is down or does it really matter. If it matters I will be doing the MGW

Having the exhaust out of the way will make it easier, but not a necessity. I did mine on jack stands and it was actually not too bad at all. (with the exhaust on) Definitely a huge improvement in shifting.
Sponsored