Sponsored

2019 GT500 Caught Benchmarking Porsche 911 GT3

Skullbussa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT-R
it sounds like it won't be the 10 speed trans but the DCT from the Ford GT. Serious question what would it take then for you to spend 75-80k? If you want a dedicated track car one should buy a 350R and call it a day.
I'm the worlds biggest proponent of DCT but the only problem it solves mated to a heavy supercharged car is a fast quarter mile time. The DCT is much more appropriate for a track car where manual shifts speed is paramount. For stomp-the-gas-at-the-tree runs, an Auto 10 would be better. Programming for such a tranny would be super simple. Now if they want to throw in the GT engine with the DCT, that would get me to sit up and pay attention. And ditch those hideous stripes while you are at it.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
You laugh at this but how can we get lost in details about car packaging and cost concerns and completely ignore economies of scale? A bespoke motor like the FPC makes zero sense, much less sense than Ford knowing back in 2010 as it developed this platform that in 7 years they'd need to find a way to turn this car into a track beast with a reliable and proven method of forced induction, one that fits nicely with the strategy of both their halo car as well as your neighbors Escape. Turbos.

I know I don't have all the information Ford engineers have and I know it is not a question of "get this TTV8 to fit into this Mustang" and I am trying to not play YouTube Commenter Know-It-All role. :) But, and I hope to God this isn't the first time you've heard this, but superchargers reek of aftermarket "I couldn't afford the top model so I'm going to slap this on" power adder.

All judgment off until the car is out at dealers and I can test drive it. But like I said earlier, I'm done waiting for this car and will be pulling the trigger on the 350.

For a car company steeped in motorsport legend Ford is curiously shy of going head to head with the Corvette and 911. I know they could knock it out of the park if they tried. I just wish they WOULD try.
I'd argue they did that with the GT350/350R. It came out of nowhere. It has the respect from enthusiasts at all levels and brands. It is amazing fun to drive, ready to be beat on at the track, and has one of the best soundtracks in any car, period. I wish you luck with yours.

I work in engineering in the industry, btw :)

ProblemHouston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang Fastback GT350 replica
I haven't priced checked in a while but I do believe you can get a 350R now for 80-85K and a current gen ACR isn't going for less then 130K not sure how those really compare price wise. If money is no issue then that's one thing.

If tracking is your main thing I'd probably recommend an R over a Z06, and that's coming from a Z06 owner. The Z is an amazing all around car but it just doesn't manage heat well, so you have to really manage it yourself or you'll be in limp mode, but damn is it a great street car. The interior (if that matters to you) is a massive step up. That would be one of my concerns about paying 75-80K is that there won't even be options to bring the interior up to par with other cars costing that much. I do 2-4 track days a year, a couple drag days and alot of general street driving but I do like a quality interior with some bells and whistles.
For me it's not about the track or the strip it's more like having something to be proud of and different. I guess that is why I am just in love with the GT350 is because of the FPC and the sound of the car is like nothing else. I am wanting the GT500 to have that some thing that mags gush about and every youtube video reviewer with cars costing twice the price fall in love with.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
For me it's not about the track or the strip it's more like having something to be proud of and different. I guess that is why I am just in love with the GT350 is because of the FPC and the sound of the car is like nothing else. I am wanting the GT500 to have that some thing that mags gush about and every youtube video reviewer with cars costing twice the price fall in love with.
I get what your saying. Doesn't 800+ hp, a Dct and what I'm guessing is going to be a heck of a engineered chassis, sound like something to be proud of? No it probably wont sound as awesome as the FPC but the performance-to cost likely will get all the reviewers to love it.

Sponsored

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
Found it! I didn't see that one before when I went through them. They'll be using the new MPSS 4s and I'm sure optional (maybe standard) sport cup 2's and those tires are damn good.

I'm just wondering if that 2.6 (2600rpm) is reference to it's 0-60mph because it sure as hell isn't consistent with the road speed.

attachment.jpg

Dary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT
Back on topic.

This spied Mustang would make more sense to be the next SE featuring the rumored engine update to 5.2 (FPC or CPC). Pushing power to 580 hp would match the GT3 power to weight ratio.

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
gonna take a wild guess and be that guys that burst everyones bubble but that picture regarding the 9.87 looks straight up like line lock timer counting down and not a 1/4 slip...but thats just me.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
For the money as much as I'm not a Chevy guy the 1le ss is a great deal for track people. Supposedly Chevy is even honoring warranty even if it has something break on track. Id imagine it's a fun car with FBO too. Id imagine it wouldn't hang with an R for tons of laps but seems it did comparably well to the R time at willow springs even if different days.
The SS1LE won't hang with an R, and as more laps accrued the gap would just get wider.

The Camaros are not a good car to do much aftermarket work on... the amustang is.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The SS1LE won't hang with an R, and as more laps accrued the gap would just get wider.

The Camaros are not a good car to do much aftermarket work on... the amustang is.
Actually it pretty much does...:(

Only 1.5 sec slower than the R around Laguna Seca, 3 seconds at VIR with a professional driver. For most of us, and for the crowd you'd see at an HPDE, they'd be about the same. Some light mods to the LT1 and it'd be right there.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather the R, but some of the features on the 1LE are tough to beat (adjustable camber plates, adjustable rear bar, eDiff, and the PTM modes are done better).

Sponsored

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
I'm just wondering if that 2.6 (2600rpm) is reference to it's 0-60mph because it sure as hell isn't consistent with the road speed.

attachment.jpg
That would make more sense. I looked up times and nothing concludes a 9.87 from a rwd car traps at 135, more like 138 or higher specially on street tires. A 2.6 would still be very impressive and probably lead to like a 10.3-10.6 1/4 @ around 135. Which are Supercar numbers

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06

Only 1.5 sec slower than the R around Laguna Seca, 3 seconds at VIR with a professional driver. For most of us, and for the crowd you'd see at an HPDE, they'd be about the same. Some light mods to the LT1 and it'd be right there.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather the R, but some of the features on the 1LE are tough to beat (adjustable camber plates, adjustable rear bar, eDiff, and the PTM modes are done better).
I'd rather the R as well looks better and sounds better but that 1LE at its price is impressive and the R has the sport cup 2 tires advantage.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
gonna take a wild guess and be that guys that burst everyones bubble but that picture regarding the 9.87 looks straight up like line lock timer counting down and not a 1/4 slip...but thats just me.
With a 1/4 calculator, to get a time of 9.87 it would take around 850+ HP in a 3900 lb car to get that number. Wishful thinking, but we'll see how this all pans out. My guess is 10.5, maybe minus a bit, with 800 HP.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302

Stock for stock the R is hands down faster and a better drive, even with the factory mods to the 1LE. Those are the consensus opinions of the editors, as well. So it doesn't hang with the R.

As far as "modding" a 1LE... have you seen the chassis of a 1LE on a lift? Good luck with that. Even the exhaust on the 1LE suffers from packaging issues.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
Stock for stock the R is hands down faster and a better drive, even with the factory mods to the 1LE. Those are the consensus opinions of the editors, as well. So it doesn't hang with the R.

As far as "modding" a 1LE... have you seen the chassis of a 1LE on a lift? Good luck with that. Even the exhaust on the 1LE suffers from packaging issues.

There is a notable tire delta between the 1LE and the GT350R... If you put SC2 on the 1LE that changes things.

Do the same weight reduction an R has on the 1LE things change more. There is probably still a solid 165 lb weight delta in body, cradles, and suspension between and GT350/R and the 1LE

Personally I want to see a GT350 or GT350R run against the 1LE with randy driving on the same day.
Sponsored