Sponsored

NC Quick Pass transponder sticker location?

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
NC people - where did you place your sticker? The transponder sticker mounting instructions states that the sticker should be placed at least 4 inches from any electronic devices including rain or speed sensors. My '18 has both of those in the plastic box surrounding the rearview mirror. 4" away from that would be close to the middle of the windshield. Am I missing something?
Sponsored

Last edited:

DoubleX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Ford Mustang GT
I wouldn't overthink this.

Illinois has the iPASS, and I placed mine behind the rearview mirror.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
I have a 2018 Mustang service manual CD. From what I can see the interior mirror has a couple of light sensors for automatic dimming plus the electronics to control the dimming. Nothing else. The rain sensor is actually on the top of the dash directly below the mirror. Other items are elsewhere in the car. My NC EZPass transponder is mounted with the top edge about 1" below the black background for the mirror post and works fine on my 18 GT base GT with 301A. We put an NC Quick Pass label in the same location on our 97 Mustang GT but haven't driven it on the toll road yet.

FYI for folks in other states this NC toll road system reads transponders at freeway speeds so it needs a really good response from the label's RFID antenna compared to many other states where the readings are done at slower speeds. However, the system also takes pictures of license plates so if it misses the transponder once in a while it still has the picture.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I put my Florida Sunpass right behind the mirror as well. It's the perfect spot for me as I never even notice it from my seating position. Ours reads at highway speeds (70+) with no issues.

Also, not sure if any of you guys ride bikes but you can generally avoid it by riding the line through the toll. You avoid setting off the weight sensor that way.

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a 2018 Mustang service manual CD. From what I can see the interior mirror has a couple of light sensors for automatic dimming plus the electronics to control the dimming. Nothing else. The rain sensor is actually on the top of the dash directly below the mirror. Other items are elsewhere in the car. My NC EZPass transponder is mounted with the top edge about 1" below the black background for the mirror post and works fine on my 18 GT base GT with 301A. We put an NC Quick Pass label in the same location on our 97 Mustang GT but haven't driven it on the toll road yet.

FYI for folks in other states this NC toll road system reads transponders at freeway speeds so it needs a really good response from the label's RFID antenna compared to many other states where the readings are done at slower speeds. However, the system also takes pictures of license plates so if it misses the transponder once in a while it still has the picture.
That's weird - the manual says this - "The feature uses a rain sensor that is in the area around the interior mirror." And - "Keep the outside of the windshield clean. The rain sensor is very sensitive and the wipers may operate if dirt, mist or insects hit the windshield." When I look at the windshield in that black box area near the rear view mirror, there is a flat black disc stuck to the windshield, as well as a camera lens looking thing facing directly forward. Does the service manual show specifically what each of these are? I assumed the flat disc was the rain sensor.

You pay significantly more if they have to use the picture of your license plate method, so that's why I want to be sure the sticker will work.

Last edited:

Sponsored

DR_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
like a complete jerk
If they have a camera back up system then why even display it? Either the camera reads your plate and you get the cheaper rate or it doesn't and you get a free toll.

edit- sorry but didn't see that you get a higher rate there if they camera backup is used.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
You pay significantly more if they have to use the picture of your license plate method, so that's why I want to be sure the sticker will work.
Are you sure on that? With the Sunpass you pay the same regardless as long as you have your plate registered with your account. The administrative fee only applies if you have to pay the invoice they send by mail. If you have money in the account (mine auto replenishes at $10) and the plate registered, you should never get a mailed invoice.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If they have a camera back up system then why even display it? Either the camera reads your plate and you get the cheaper rate or it doesn't and you get a free toll.

edit- sorry but didn't see that you get a higher rate there if they camera backup is used.
Correct with edit. They do allow some amount of "transponder didn't work" incidents before charging the higher rate. Note to folks who don't live near this toll road: There are no toll booths. If you don't have a tag or transponder you get a bill in the mail using the higher rates.

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you sure on that? With the Sunpass you pay the same regardless as long as you have your plate registered with your account. The administrative fee only applies if you have to pay the invoice they send by mail. If you have money in the account (mine auto replenishes at $10) and the plate registered, you should never get a mailed invoice.
"Customers who choose not to participate in the NC Quick Pass program will pay their tolls through Bill by Mail. As a vehicle passes through a toll zone, an image of the license plate is taken from an overhead camera. The registered owner of the vehicle is identified through the Department of Motor Vehicles and a Bill by Mail is sent to the customer for payment. Bill by Mail customers will not receive the discounted toll rate that NC Quick Pass customers receive."

awmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium PP
That's weird - the manual says this - "The feature uses a rain sensor that is in the area around the interior mirror." And - "Keep the outside of the windshield clean. The rain sensor is very sensitive and the wipers may operate if dirt, mist or insects hit the windshield." When I look at the windshield in that black box area near the rear view mirror, there is a flat black disc stuck to the windshield, as well as a camera lens looking thing facing directly forward. Does the service manual show specifically what each of these are? I assumed the flat disc was the rain sensor.

I'm fairly confident the camera lens is the rain sensor. The light level sensor is on the dash for headlights, interior dimming and such.
Don't believe me? Just turn your car and wipers on, then drip water on different parts of the windshield, once the wipers turn on, you know you've found the sensor.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford part #17D547 is the rain sensor, and it's inside the black box surrounding the rear view mirror.

Last edited:

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford part #17D547 is the rain sensor, and it's inside the black box surrounding the rear view mirror.
I guess I better look at the FSM a little closer or pay attention to premium cars on dealer lots. Sorry about that. :doh:

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess I better look at the FSM a little closer or pay attention to premium cars on dealer lots. Sorry about that. :doh:
No worries. :)

Endokendal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Ruby Red
No such thing as toll roads in New Mexico... thousands of miles of empty roads... woo hoo!
Sponsored