OP

Mjc1241

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Reese
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I did not have time based on my scheduled appointment time, plus I had another test planned that didn't quite work out. I did not want to hold the shop up anymore. Yes, testing my car same day pre and post throttle body install would have been the best test but worked with what was available at the time.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Greg35

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
' 18 GT350
First off I would like to say thanks to the other member for his time and effort put forth to try to document
any possible measurable performance gains from this newly-available item. I do believe most will agree -
even as this person himself has said- that the dyno protocol utilized was less than ideal.
As noted in my prior posts (#15,17) I will be doing a dyno comparison on this ported TB in the manner
suggested by Pencil Geek . Will be reporting back to all my results.

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
It takes five minutes to swap throttle bodies. Easily done during a dyno session.

mustangr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue w/Black Stipes
Vehicle Showcase
Get a chance to dyno yet?
:ford:

First off I would like to say thanks to the other member for his time and effort put forth to try to document
any possible measurable performance gains from this newly-available item. I do believe most will agree -
even as this person himself has said- that the dyno protocol utilized was less than ideal.
As noted in my prior posts (#15,17) I will be doing a dyno comparison on this ported TB in the manner
suggested by Pencil Geek . Will be reporting back to all my results.

Greg35

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
' 18 GT350
Unfortunately no, my past 2 days off work I've been too busy to get back to do further dyno work.:frusty: I am anxious to do this but just hasn't been possible yet. Hopefully less than 3 wks. out . :thumbsup:

Sponsored

Jayme

DoggystyleRacing®
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aedhp.com
First Name
Jayme
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Did you need an updated tune with the ported throttle body?

MAV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I ported mine a couple of weeks ago, and honestly, you're not going to notice anything. It's just one of those little things that might help airflow a touch here or there, but it's not something you can feel.
file.jpeg

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I ported mine a couple of weeks ago, and honestly, you're not going to notice anything. It's just one of those little things that might help airflow a touch here or there, but it's not something you can feel.
By chance did you measure how far out you ported it to from the stock 87mm?

MAV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
No, but it's still 87mm because that's the diameter of the butterfly valve. "Porting" in this case only means smoothing the rough edges left over from casting and machining to smooth the airflow into the TB. You have to be careful not to get into the actual machined area where the valve seats.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
No, but it's still 87mm because that's the diameter of the butterfly valve. "Porting" in this case only means smoothing the rough edges left over from casting and machining to smooth the airflow into the TB. You have to be careful not to get into the actual machined area where the valve seats.
Yeah sounds more like a throttle body spacer effect more than anything.

Sponsored

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
You really need to verify the impact of any work to the TB on a flowbench. My experience with porting cylinder heads for big inch top fuel engines tells me there is nothing to be gained unless you can open up the inside diameter. Sharp edges or transitions can impact the flow, generally smoothing rough surfaces on a large cross section area, such as this throttle body, will not show any significant change in flow. How this translates into any type of power gain is probably a mute point when there are so many conditions downstream that control the amount of air moving through this engine.

Last edited:

ldp82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Genesis 5.0 & 996 cab
I was looking to bore out a stock GT350 throttle body but I read this and it has given me pause:

"In regards to the throttle body redesign, Kershaw mentions, “Maintaining idle and emissions is critical and far easier with the round throttle body. The GT350 was able to hit its performance targets with a slightly larger 87 mm over the GT’s 80 mm. The GT350 manifold has proven so good that we tried to make a slightly modified Cobra Jet manifold that would package under the S550 hoodline but it wasn’t any better than the stock GT350 with the stock, round throttle body. With a cowl hood or lowered engine, the Cobra Jet manifold is worth some power but few customers are interested in going down that path. We developed a 92 mm but the gain was so minimal that we have shelved it for now. Plus, it would be off-road only and currently we don’t see the level of aftermarket support to make it worthwhile.”"

link where quote is found:
http://www.fordmuscle.com/tech-stor...old-shootout-gt-gt350-boss-302-and-cobra-jet/

I think I am reading it right that a 92mm TB on the Voodoo didn't do all that much. So is the stock exhaust limiting flow?

Last edited:

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I think I am reading it right that a 92mm TB on the Voodoo didn't do all that much. So is the stock exhaust limiting flow?
This was discussed in a different thread. We're thinking the biggest bottleneck is actually the cams. Need more duration.
Sponsored