Sponsored

2019 GT350 Upgrades: Tech, Aerodynamics and Other GT500 Track Improvements

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Being 100% objective, the 1SS 1LE Camaro is one helluva value for a track car and compares quite well with a 350. The data recorder that comes with it is nice, but not as full featured as a Aim Solo DL.
Have you driven a 1SS 1LE? Especially looking for track driving feedback and thoughts from a GT350 owner.
Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Have you driven a 1SS 1LE? Especially looking for track driving feedback and thoughts from a GT350 owner.
I have. For low $40K's, it's criminal to offer that much performance. The Goodyear tires are spectacular. But my buddy is almost done with his and he only has about 8000 miles on the car. No autocross runs, a rally, two or so track days.

The car feels as nimble as a GT350. Not sure if that's a testament to the GT350's ability to hide its weight or the SS1 LE's surprising weight gain going from a 1SS to a 1LE pack. Both feel heavier than a base 1SS that's a whole 3700lbs or whatever it is that already hides its weight fairly well but the capabilities trump that handily. They put down power marginally as well. The SS is oversteer bias, the GT350 is understeer bias. They both feel the same on the street, the GT350 feels safer on track. The SS 1LE steering feels better on corner entry but is harder to point on exit. GT350 rotation feels more balanced, the SS 1LE can get snappy (obviously from its balance bias). The eLSD is magic. But that does make the GT350 feel more analog with the T2 diff.

Different strokes for different folks. Remember the SS 1LE is not as light as people make it out to be, it's about 3750lbs. Coolers, fluids, plumbing, and big brakes and tires add up. I still :doh: over the GT350 Track Pack weight.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I have. For low $40K's, it's criminal to offer that much performance. The Goodyear tires are spectacular. But my buddy is almost done with his and he only has about 8000 miles on the car. No autocross runs, a rally, two or so track days.

The car feels as nimble as a GT350. Not sure if that's a testament to the GT350's ability to hide its weight or the SS1 LE's surprising weight gain going from a 1SS to a 1LE pack. Both feel heavier than a base 1SS that's a whole 3700lbs or whatever it is that already hides its weight fairly well but the capabilities trump that handily. They put down power marginally as well. The SS is oversteer bias, the GT350 is understeer bias. They both feel the same on the street, the GT350 feels safer on track. The SS 1LE steering feels better on corner entry but is harder to point on exit. GT350 rotation feels more balanced, the SS 1LE can get snappy (obviously from its balance bias). The eLSD is magic. But that does make the GT350 feel more analog with the T2 diff.

Different strokes for different folks. Remember the SS 1LE is not as light as people make it out to be, it's about 3750lbs. Coolers, fluids, plumbing, and big brakes and tires add up. I still :doh: over the GT350 Track Pack weight.
Which is the main reason I purchased a base R after having owned a 16 TP. My R with my blue tooth amp and two speaker mod weighs less than 3700lbs. Almost 3670. And still want to take more off. The battery is next.

The 19 GT350 is still and amazing bargain with a fabulous engine, quirks and all. Put it this way, if my engine blew on the R I would keep replacing it until my extended warranty (7years 75km bumper to bumper) expires. By then I would simply rebuild the OEM motor or upgrade. Who am I kidding!!! Cant let go of the voodoo and its sound. rebuild it is.

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
"Available carbon fiber wheels" -gives the impression that CF wheels are now an option on the standard 350.
Yeah the way it's written could give someone that impression. It's probably just a case of it being poorly written and meant to be directed to just the GT350R.

Sponsored

TheDeadCow

Just some guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hot Rod
Vehicle Showcase
I only test drove a 2SS because the 1LE models weren't out yet. The ergonomics didn't fit me (poor visibility).

Comes with tow hooks, tranny/oil/diff coolers, data recorder, all for $45k. Seems like a good value.

One fatal flaw, can't get a helmet through the window...

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
One fatal flaw, can't get a helmet through the window...
Wait - really? That's almost as good of a "Feature" as not providing tow hook with a track-focused car. #GottaChaseThatWeightSavings

barrelfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
2019 GT350 eSourceBook update to dealers...GT350R is briefly mentioned
This information seems to indicate that the "sofa" seats are gone for 2019 as the convenience package is gone. I would hope this is not the case as the heated/ventilated seats are much preferred to Recaro for me.
Or...Ford is going back to the old 2016 nomenclature of "Technology Package" option to include the sofa seats? Would love for someone at Ford to clear this up.

fordxgt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 XLT 5.0L V8
Vehicle Showcase
2019 GT350 eSourceBook update to dealers...GT350R is briefly mentioned
It looks like the B&O sound system is standard equipment

Sponsored

H6G

IN OMNIA PARATVS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

When it comes to capabilities.... certainly 1LE can burn up the track. Unless, you have a driver who lacks some capabilities. Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :D:D:D
0E0EB1A1-5D0E-4D1F-BB4F-0507A5648176.jpg

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.

I have. Drove a regular GT350 and an SS1LE at Roebling Road in Bloomingdale, Georgia. The two were near identical in similar modes. Tires between the two were a wash. The 1LE had more low end grunt but petered out early and the GT350 kept on revving. Huge advantage at the end of the front straight as the 1LE went 3rd, 4th, and a quick shift to 5th before braking hard. The GT350 only needed 3rd and 4th for the entire course. I was able to hit 144mph in the GT350 and only about 141mph in the 1LE on that same straight.

Too bad it's a Camaro. The PDR, rev matching, tow hook, and rear mounted battery are things the GT350 should have as well at the very least.

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I plan on keeping my R for a very, very long time as I love this car in so many ways, but I must admit, an upgraded interior, sound system, and painted stripes make ordering a 2019 a serious consideration.

Also makes you wonder if there could be an all-new Carbon Fiber wheel design coming for the 2019 R? Or does it need to be structured like it is (or very close to the current design)?

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I have. Drove a regular GT350 and an SS1LE at Roebling Road in Bloomingdale, Georgia. The two were near identical in similar modes. Tires between the two were a wash. The 1LE had more low end grunt but petered out early and the GT350 kept on revving. Huge advantage at the end of the front straight as the 1LE went 3rd, 4th, and a quick shift to 5th before braking hard. The GT350 only needed 3rd and 4th for the entire course. I was able to hit 144mph in the GT350 and only about 141mph in the 1LE on that same straight.

Too bad it's a Camaro. The PDR, rev matching, tow hook, and rear mounted battery are things the GT350 should have as well at the very least.
My performance BMWs have had rear-mounted batteries since 1988. Ford will catch up eventually. ;-)
Sponsored