First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
all windscreen tint is illegal in the uk
No it isn’t...:)

From DVLA website

Vehicles first used on 1 April 1985 or later
The front windscreen must let at least 75% of light through and the front side windows must let at least 70% of light through.

Drcooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Are you sure that it's only 12% from factory?
Does it mean that I can have windshield tinted as well?
I don't know exactly what the factory value is but it will be around 12% may be as high as 20%. Windscreen can be tinted but must have an VLT of 75% when done. Probably only useful for cutting out UV.

FilipV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW i3
I don't know exactly what the factory value is but it will be around 12% may be as high as 20%. Windscreen can be tinted but must have an VLT of 75% when done. Probably only useful for cutting out UV.
That's what I found:

"Clear glass only allows approximately 86% of light to pass & the slight tint of standard manufactured glass varies from the 70% maximum limit up to approx 80% of light passing through, thus any film being applied to these windows will drop the light transmissions to below the regulation limit."

I think it's a no no :(

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
No it isn’t...:)

From DVLA website

Vehicles first used on 1 April 1985 or later
The front windscreen must let at least 75% of light through and the front side windows must let at least 70% of light through.
thats a change as i got pulled and forced to remove a tint (blue not black so sub 10% reduction in transmission) on a car i had in the 90's was told it was explicitly illegal to tint or change the windscreen at all regardless of factory tints or not.

Sponsored

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Today I drove mine to work in the sun :D first time in ages, and apart from the stupid M4 traffic, it was bliss :)

I had time to appreciate how truly awful my glass is following all the water testing at Ford. I gave the glass a clean as I normally would but weeks of abuse has left them in a right state.

I had a chat with Nick @ DMC in Newbury & I'm swinging by on Sat morning for a quick glass clean up session :) he says he already has 4 Stangs in that are going to the Newbury meet :lol: anyone here?

Mike Clark

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Jaguar XF SportBrake, Jeep Renegade, GT 'vert
There I was looking at wheels and tints and tying to work out of my 'vert would look good with a spoiler (and if SWMBO would let me get away with it) and then I refreshed this thread. I thought about posting and normally wouldn't however, I decided for once to reply.

If someone is happy purchase something from somebody else, at the price quoted, then it doesn't matter one iota, as long as the purchaser is happy with the cost and the seller delivers what they say they will and is prepared to honour the product they've sold.

As to what may or may not be declared to HMRC - that is up to them.

Back on topic:

In other (delayed) news, I had my Roush AB's fitted by [MENTION=13889]djone101[/MENTION] over at GT101 (well actually Lee fitted them) and can recommend GT101 wholeheartedly, well worth the trip from Deepest Kent over to them. I've now got MPSS on the back end via my local tyre place too.

Now to spoiler or not to spoiler, that is my question

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
don't worry if HMRC find out you're reselling ebay bulbs for the amount you are you'll be locked up for daylight robbery and scamming and tax avoidance.

Back in your cage.
Have you told them about your light tint sales?:)

Snap On Pete

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
S550GT 2017MY Grabber Blue
did the same to mine today (a gentle touch with a soldering iron - and they fit over the locking nuts easily!) - cheap - but effective!
Yes good idea.. that or the Dremel...Mine sitting on the side, will give it a go shortly......and finally may even get round to putting my black 5.0 fender badges on.. now the weather is here.. :headbang:

Snap On Pete

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
S550GT 2017MY Grabber Blue
Yes good idea.. that or the Dremel...Mine sitting on the side, will give it a go shortly......and finally may even get round to putting my black 5.0 fender badges on.. now the weather is here.. :headbang:

Well quick and easy mod..Black wheel nut caps on ..touch with the dremel on the ones for the lockers.., and i also cut them down a tad, so they are the same as the other nuts now..
Dremel cutting disc is wicked..

And.........brilliant day for sorting out the Black Speedform Badges as its so warm (28 deg) outside...best day for putting them on..

Sawing action at the back of the badges with some fishing line.. Then used 2 old credit cards to do the same...chrome badges easily come off then in one piece.. Leaves some glue smeg, but 95% of that easily rubs off with yr thumb..

Some Autoglym tar remover takes the rest off, quick polish over. Then back with the old badge to size up, and use some tape to line up the bottom and side edges as a guide. Beware..as the old badges are left and right handed..

The new Speedform ones just peel and stick...Job Done.. :thumbsup:

Saves all that painting crap..... pm me if you want some... :clap2:

27692928148_b5175c6017_b.jpg
20180419_161959 by Peter Tew, on Flickr

39754046490_0090d202db_b.jpg
20180419_162010 by

SpArKy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
So here we go.. Picture from a different angle..

Is it legal..... probably not
Who cares...... I dont for sure

So dont lose any sleep over it guys.! i wont be..
i used to have the fronts slightly tinted on an old car and my worry was never whether it was illegal or not, the unlikely chance of a small fine didn't bother me much, it was more the fact that it invalidates your insurance. if i were to hit another car, they could argue that my vision was impaired by the tint and since it's not 'road legal' they wouldn't pay out.

it does look good though, would love to do mine.

W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 ORANGUSTANG
Vehicle Showcase
thats a change as i got pulled and forced to remove a tint (blue not black so sub 10% reduction in transmission) on a car i had in the 90's was told it was explicitly illegal to tint or change the windscreen at all regardless of factory tints or not.
I got pulled by the police in my previous car (5 series BMW)....

"the windows are all tinted illegally sir"

nope - as per from the factory

"Sir, you will have to remove all of the window tinting right now or I will arrange for the vehicle to be "recovered""

Officer - the only way I can do that is by smashing them all - do you really want me to do that - right here at the side of the road? they are all standard as fitted in the factory

"no sir, they have been tinted by yourself - they are obviously illegal" I will arrange for vehicle recovery"

... luckily another officer arrived - who happened to have a window tint tester with him in his car - all legal ... no issue

but I will emphasise "luck" as otherwise the car would have been towed

Moral - its just not worth the risk - some police officers can be a little over zealous - sometimes!

Bob-
Sponsored