Ordering Basics

Mustang1260

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th Limited Edition, WW, Manual
Everyone - just a few Ordering basics. Not colors or options but the reality.

The Bullitt is being allocated and in smaller numbers then the GT350.
Every dealer who wanted a GT350 could join the program ($1000 for 2 yrs/2 cars total for 16/17).

This is NOT the case for the Bullitt. With the finding of the original 68 and all the publicity Ford is making this a halo car. A unicorn. They know dealers get showroom traffic and ADMs for these. They are reward cars based upon various sales activities by the dealerships. Thus unlike the GT350 program lots of smaller dealerships will get 0 cars. With lots of dealers getting just 1.

Now for Ordering: any dealer can order anything and the system takes the Order and if unallocated will sit on material hold until the model year runs out unbuilt. Lots of GT350R buyers got burned on Orders that were never built. Dealers placed the Order under the hope that with a standing retail Order maybe the regional manager would hook them up with an extra allocation (good luck with that).

So just because your Order goes in doesn't mean your getting a car.

You need to verify that your dealership HAS allocation for the car. Ford has already done the initial allocations. Most regional managers have informed their stores--but that doesn't mean the sales guys have gotten the word yet.And no you can't verify by calling Ford Performance. They will simply say the Order is in the system but unless the regional manager has allocated for it (Ford Performance can't check on that) your "order" is as valid as a $3 bill.

These cars are not built on first order first car. The allocation pricess spreads the cars out depending on how Ford is going to produce them. Thus if you ordered from a small dealership with 1 allocation your car may arrive long after someone who ordered much after you but from a mega store that received multiple allocations.

MOST dealership are honest crooks. They should tell you exactly how many allocations they received and where you are in relation (we are getting 1 car and it is yours kinda thing). If the dealership is squirally at all as to their allocation then consider yourselves warned.

Remember this ain't Amazon and ya don't get Prime shipping.

Excuse typos- on the road on an iPad.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Sounds familiar. I offered up 5k ADM allocation leads a little while ago and everyone called B.S. this is an allocated car and i had it confirmed that only 700-800 will be available nationwide for MY19.

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Thank you Mustang1260. But, the reality kind of sucks.

I guess I’ll be continuing to drive my 2015, and there won’t be a Bullitt in my future. I’d love to have a Bullitt, but not so much that I’m willing to bend over and grab my ankles with a rapacious ADM. I guess now I can pull the trigger on some light mods for my car.

I’ll make some popcorn, it’ll be interesting to watch.

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
I contacted 12 dealers from Mass to the mid Atlantic states.

They don’t know what to do with this car!
One dealer wanted to add 15k ADM, some are waiting to see what the market will demand and others are clueless.

A few lucky people may pay MSRP, others will pay a hefty markup.
One dealer compared it to Rapters and GT 350r’s

If I had a Mustang, I might wait, but I’m getting antsy.

OP
OP

Mustang1260

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
I fully understand guys. My msrp deal fell apart on Friday as Management now wants to auction their 1 halo. Now i'm a bit spoiled-up to 2014 as a friend owned a dealership. Well he sold it going into 15 and retired thus i had to ride this train to get my 50th LE at msrp and eventually gave up on an R. He was no adm on anything, new dealership owner aint of that mind set.

So i made a call and bluntly asked my friend if he still had contacts...of course he did and gave me what public info he had. The biggest change is the low production haloing of the car. Ford loves and hates the Bullitt. The 01 was planned for about 6500 units and they sold roughly 5600. The 08 was to be 1 yr at 7700 units. Well they went 2 yrs and hit about 6600 in sales. Big under sellers with both models. Both also sold during economic down times.

This yr with the energy of the original 68 going public, no GT350 announced (yet?) Barrett Jackson and Jay Leno hoopla, etc Ford has decided to bring the production numbers down, no issue of big rebates to get rid of stock like 01 and 09, make it a halo car that folks have to fight for.

As a former owner of an 01 and 08 (bought new) lets say i'm more then a little pissed right now.

If they go into the 2020MY then the GT500 may upstage it and make the battle to get one a wee bit easier. But that is a big if.

Sponsored

jimmypop13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 HHR SS
Well this is dumb. What happened to them saying if you want one you can get one because they won't be limited? Mustangs and ADM seem to go hand in hand these past few years. I've never liked dealerships anyway and this doesn't help. I wish Ford could just sell straight to us like Tesla

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Everyone - just a few Ordering basics. Not colors or options but the reality.

The Bullitt is being allocated and in smaller numbers then the GT350.
Every dealer who wanted a GT350 could join the program ($1000 for 2 yrs/2 cars total for 16/17).

This is NOT the case for the Bullitt. With the finding of the original 68 and all the publicity Ford is making this a halo car. A unicorn. They know dealers get showroom traffic and ADMs for these. They are reward cars based upon various sales activities by the dealerships. Thus unlike the GT350 program lots of smaller dealerships will get 0 cars. With lots of dealers getting just 1.

Now for Ordering: any dealer can order anything and the system takes the Order and if unallocated will sit on material hold until the model year runs out unbuilt. Lots of GT350R buyers got burned on Orders that were never built. Dealers placed the Order under the hope that with a standing retail Order maybe the regional manager would hook them up with an extra allocation (good luck with that).

So just because your Order goes in doesn't mean your getting a car.

You need to verify that your dealership HAS allocation for the car. Ford has already done the initial allocations. Most regional managers have informed their stores--but that doesn't mean the sales guys have gotten the word yet.And no you can't verify by calling Ford Performance. They will simply say the Order is in the system but unless the regional manager has allocated for it (Ford Performance can't check on that) your "order" is as valid as a $3 bill.

These cars are not built on first order first car. The allocation pricess spreads the cars out depending on how Ford is going to produce them. Thus if you ordered from a small dealership with 1 allocation your car may arrive long after someone who ordered much after you but from a mega store that received multiple allocations.

MOST dealership are honest crooks. They should tell you exactly how many allocations they received and where you are in relation (we are getting 1 car and it is yours kinda thing). If the dealership is squirally at all as to their allocation then consider yourselves warned.

Remember this ain't Amazon and ya don't get Prime shipping.

Excuse typos- on the road on an iPad.

How many GT350's did Ford make, each year..?

OP
OP

Mustang1260

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Well this is dumb. What happened to them saying if you want one you can get one because they won't be limited?
Every written document released by Ford has stated Limited Edition with no specifc number stated.

Talking heads at shows generally are very far behind the knowledge 8 ball.

And yeah, you want one you CAN get one.....just like a GT350R. Anyone who truly wanted a GT350R can get one. There is a difference between getting one and getting one at MSRP.

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Well this is dumb. What happened to them saying if you want one you can get one because they won't be limited? Mustangs and ADM seem to go hand in hand these past few years. I've never liked dealerships anyway and this doesn't help. I wish Ford could just sell straight to us like Tesla
What happened? First, they lied. Second, as Mustang1260 said, sure, anyone that really wants a Bullitt can buy one - as long as they’re willing to pay any price the dealer asks.

I’m not.

OP
OP

Mustang1260

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Again guys.....look at tbe documents released by Ford. They never stated unending numbers..... they have never stated the intended production numbers.... Ford also was of the opinion that if you wanted a 50th Anniversary Limited Edition GT you could get one....they only made 1964 of those. I believe the last new ones have finally sold but some of those sat on lots for yrs....yeah, you had to pay the price but if you wanted one you could get one. The only Ford this really doesn't apply to is the new Ford GT. They don't sit on lots, Ford awards the right to buy directly to individuals and they are built to the buyers specification.

Every document from DAY 1 said limited edition. I have yet to see ANYTHING from Ford that states otherwise. The you want one you can get one came from car show chatter that took on its own life on this forum. People staffing the Ford booths at shows are way down the food chain or in the reverse very high up and just not involved in setting production numbers. And when asked at those new car shows as to specific numbers Ford declined to answer.

Last edited:

Sponsored

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I totally get it. I understand about 'halo car', and why Ford is limiting production of the Bullitt based on their less than happy experiences with the previous Bullitts. I also understand how dealers will be mouth-wateringly giddy at the prospects of 'auctioning' off their limited supply of Bullitts - nothing makes a car salesperson happier than ADM. I know it's all about what makes the most financial sense for them.

But, what they lose sight of in doing is is the pissed off customers factor. For every Bullitt they manage to sell with an inflated ADM, there may be 5 (or more) potential buyers who will be pissed off with the whole game. Like me. Market research has shown that when someone is happy with a deal they tell on average about 5 people. But, when they're unhappy, they tell on average 20 people.

So, for each sale of a Bullitt, Ford risks creating a lot of ill will with people. It seems very short-sighted. Instead of building enough product to satisfy demand - which would maximize their revenues - they choose this approach for a quick buck on a handful of cars. It doesn't seem like the way to build long-term relationships with buyers. But then, CEO Jim Hackett is all about the short-term. He doesn't seem to understand or care about the long term (since he'll be long gone, living large on his stock options).

With a $5-$20k ADM, that would put the price of a Bullitt squarely in Corvette Grand Sport territory. As much as I like Mustangs, and have owned 5 of them in my life (including my first car, a 1965 convertible), this could put me over to shopping GM next time.

OP
OP

Mustang1260

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
analogman/Nick

Couldn't agree more. I'm not justifying what Ford is doing and I'm not advocating anyone pay over MSRP. Right now I am mad as hell. The Ford GT at $450k is a halo car, a bloody Mustang - not. Up until the end of 2014 a friend of mine owned a Ford dealership. He taught me alot about ordering, allocation etc and i just try to advise and counter some of the stupidity posted on this forum about the processes.

Part of the reason for the interest is the work by and community effect of IMBOC. They kept the chatter alive around the Bullitt well after the 2001 Bullitt. Their presence at shows has created a lot of interest, publicity for Ford over the years. As a former owner of an 01 and 08 i'm beyond pissed. There wouldnt have been 08/09 and 19/20 Bullitts to sell but for that community and now Ford has flipped them the giant bird.

And lets get real--it is simply a green GT PP1. It is a street car not a track car. An extra 20 hp in reality is not a bfd --although some of the 15 yr olds on the forum think that the extra 20 hp will give them magical driving power and abilities. Steve McQueen never saw it, didn't design it....it is a very cool tribute car enjoyed by a great community within the Mustang world and Ford just pissed on that community and the fan base it brought to Ford.

Right now I'm stepping back and taking a deep breath. But in reality my 15 LE will probably be sold this summer and Museum Delivery arranged for a car in Bowling Green.

I probably also jinxed myself. When I sold my 08 I gave the buyer my Bullitt Jacket. Well in January I was able to track down a NOS Bullitt jacket and bought it....i guess i was premature and placed my bet too early.

Past Mustangs: 66 Coupe, 99 GT 35th LE, 01 Bullitt (never should of sold it) 01 Saleen, 03 Mach 1, 04 Mach 1, 08 Bullitt, 12 Boss 302. Soon to be former: 15 GT 50th LE

Past Vettes: 04 Z06, 07 Z06, 04 Z06 LeMans (never should have sold it), 10 Grand Sport

Last edited:

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I think this "he said she said" rumor mill is spinning this situation wildly out of proportion. Yes it'll probably be harder to get than a regular GT. But is it impossible to get at MSRP? No. There are dealers willing to sell these at MSRP, it just might be more than a 20 minute drive from your house. So it all comes down to how badly you want the car at MSRP. Many on here are laid back and don't mind waiting another year if they have to drive more than 20 minutes to take delivery of it. For those people, the good news is that Ford is building this car for 2 model years and by then the hype will likely have faded. Only time will tell how many get made and what demand ends up being. It's still far too early to tell and dealers are riding the early hype which will be quickly subsiding based on all the easily discouraged people I see on here.

Maybe we should make a new thread with a list of dealers doing MSRP deals like they did on the Shelby sub-forum. That way it'll be there in black and white. And if you're unwilling to fly-in/drive/trailer the car home from out of state, you only have yourself to blame. I'd go across the country to buy this car at MSRP if I had to, but I know I'm more obsessed than most. It's easy to place the blame on your local dealership, but if you're unwilling to do the research/leg work to get it when the opportunities are out there, you're doing this to yourself. If we all bought only from the MSRP dealers, the others would fall in line sooner I think. Just my 2 cents.

I always chuckle when I see the rotting new 2016 GT350R the dummies at my local dealer are still trying to get 10K ADM on. Some dealers are too stupid to realize waiting 3 years for a sucker to pay markup actually hurts them financially. In the meantime, they could be making 4K a car selling at MSRP, and selling as many as there's demand for.

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
David/Mustang1260

I think we both feel exactly the same way about how the whole Bullitt situation is unfolding. Pissed as hell. I was already having trouble justifying in my mind the >$30k it was likely going to cost (at MSRP) for a new Bullitt on top of what my 2015 GT PP is worth - for, as you say, just a green GT PP1, with an extra 20 hp that I'd never feel in 'seat of the pants' street driving. With a ridiculous ADM on top of that, it's just beyond crazy.

People remember being pissed on a lot longer than they do nice deals. This might come back to bite Ford in the ass - some ADM on a handful of Bullitts won't make it up if Mustang sales decline, which they risk doing with the already nosebleed price increases. But, I don't think Jim Hackett cares about any of that.

I'll take a breather too, but I strongly suspect I'll be following you on the road to Bowling Green.

OP
OP

Mustang1260

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bullitt - Fully understand. But of note, I do know Northern Ca dealers (i'm not of a one and done mindset) those within 250+ miles of me and one by one the MSRP guys (hmmm being sexist) have disappeared bought out by bigger automotive groups.

But there are always exceptions like the Ford dealer in Silicon Valley, the land of money, who could get but doesn't seek ADMs. They even sell GT350Rs at msrp. But alias they now have waiting lists on the 'hot cars' that far exceed their allotments.
Sponsored