Sponsored

Silly question but asking anyway (exhausts)

STangfan44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
car
Been reading a lot these days as I try and get a hold of the whole mod situation and knowing I wanted a new exhaust. Just curious, I know a cat back like Borla gives a little extra horse power (and I don't want it for HP, more for sound, really), but does it put any extra strain on the engine or anything?

I know a catback like a borla is not as restrictive as the factory resonator/exhaust, so this HP gain, it is something the car's computer sees something better is going on in relation to the exhaust and adjusts accordingly or does the gain just occur because the engine is doing its thing like normal and it's going into a more efficient exhaust system?

Either way, I can't imagine using the catback exhaust would be anything remotely as likely to reduce engine or component life like intakes, tunes, and the like, but I do like to learn how things work.

Thanks for any responses.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
No, it does nothing negative. A catback will give you a few HP but it'll be near the measurement error so it's not really advertised as a selling point. Gains come from a small decrease in overall exhaust backpressure.