Sponsored

Getting Scared Of New Cars.

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
Not sure if this is the correct subgroup so mods please move if not appropriate. So in looking at the new car crop, American muscle cars in particular, I have to say I am getting the willy's here. The Mustangs have the evap problems, driveline vibrations which BTW go back several years, motors blowing up and so forth. The Camaros have the TC vibration, plastic oil pan leaks and other issues. Then there is FCA which seem to have QC problems with assembly so cars not put together correctly at the factory.
And all seem to be living on the edge with direct injection and carbon deposits etc.

What's even scarier is the lack of parts stock, even basic stuff like valve cover gaskets. And this is across all brands.

So I'm 58yo have lived through the original American muscle car era, albeit 2nd hand cars, but we all had Chargers, Mustangs, Camaros, GTO etc back then.
Sure they broke, but were easy to fix and more importantly cheap to fix.

So what is going on with the big 3?

It seems we can't build a car that actually works. at least the major, engine, tranny, drive train and so forth.

Is it the robotics?
Poor parts quality from the suppliers?
Poor design?
Human errors?
Technology that is too advanced?
Trying to satisfy the EPA, emissions, CAFE standards?

What do ya'll think the problem is?
And yes, I get it that the Internet is going to attract far more people with problem than those with problem free cars, but even still, there seems to be a very bad pattern developing here.

That being said, what do ya'll think the solution is?

Like I said, when I see people having serious problems on a car with 1k miles I worry.

Comments for discussion.......
Sponsored

OP
OP

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
Please, not another doom & gloom thread...
Not trying to be a Debbie Downer here, but look at the various fora and it's obvious there is a problem here. And across all brands it seems similar.

Do you disagree with that premise?

rum_punch_ruby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Supercharged 17 GT Premium, Performance Pack
Vehicle Showcase
This is my 3rd Mustang and any problems I've had were owner induced. I know I'm gonna pay for saying that.

control4userguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
Cut to the core here- humans budget/set standards/watch over other humans, humans design, humans engineer and humans assemble. Cars had problems in other decades and continue to do so today. Common denominator? Humans.

Sponsored

OP
OP

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
This is my 3rd Mustang and any problems I've had were owner induced. I know I'm gonna pay for saying that.
Lol! The Mustang gremlins are going to come and get you!

For me, I have an 03 GT Centennial Edition with about 160k+ miles.

Only problems I have had above routine maintenance have been:

1. Cooling fan died due to bad bearing
2. Alternator causing flickering battery light.
3. Starter exploded. No start :)

Only one that left me stranded was starter and that was 2 miles from home.

All occurred over 100k miles so I can't complain. It's been a great car for me which is why I am considering a new Mustang.

OP
OP

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
Cut to the core here- humans budget/set standards/watch over other humans, humans design, humans engineer and humans assemble. Cars had problems in other decades and continue to do so today. Common denominator? Humans.
As an engineer, that's my opinion as well.
I think regulations are compounding the problems though.
Ask me someday about my theories of computers, designed by humans BTW, taking over the earth. In a nutshell, until a perfect computer exists that can design an even "more" perfect computer, it ain't gonna happen.

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
If the Auto industry is anything like the company I am an Engineer at everything is rushed. Rush to design/build prototypes, try to eliminate any extra prototyping steps, if Proto A goes relatively good, attempt to release the product skipping Proto B. Then once it's released, scramble to fix the issues as they pop up and send whatever you can make work to the customer. Before you are even done implementing fixes, purchasing is cross shopping the parts/components to the lowest cost manufacture. Then deal with addressing what you get when those lowest cost bidders start sending parts. Scramble to make work/send the finished product out to the customer to meet demand. Just when all of that is running smooth, time to release the next design and repeat all the same headaches.

kidamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt 10 sp auto
All brands have their issues, all

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
Not sure if this is the correct subgroup so mods please move if not appropriate. So in looking at the new car crop, American muscle cars in particular, I have to say I am getting the willy's here. The Mustangs have the evap problems, driveline vibrations which BTW go back several years, motors blowing up and so forth. The Camaros have the TC vibration, plastic oil pan leaks and other issues. Then there is FCA which seem to have QC problems with assembly so cars not put together correctly at the factory.
And all seem to be living on the edge with direct injection and carbon deposits etc.

What's even scarier is the lack of parts stock, even basic stuff like valve cover gaskets. And this is across all brands.

So I'm 58yo have lived through the original American muscle car era, albeit 2nd hand cars, but we all had Chargers, Mustangs, Camaros, GTO etc back then.
Sure they broke, but were easy to fix and more importantly cheap to fix.

So what is going on with the big 3?

It seems we can't build a car that actually works. at least the major, engine, tranny, drive train and so forth.

Is it the robotics?
Poor parts quality from the suppliers?
Poor design?
Human errors?
Technology that is too advanced?
Trying to satisfy the EPA, emissions, CAFE standards?

What do ya'll think the problem is?
And yes, I get it that the Internet is going to attract far more people with problem than those with problem free cars, but even still, there seems to be a very bad pattern developing here.

That being said, what do ya'll think the solution is?

Like I said, when I see people having serious problems on a car with 1k miles I worry.

Comments for discussion.......

The problem is perception and not reality. 20 years ago you could not go on a dozen forums a night to see people complain about their cars problems. Its probably 100 to 1 satisfied owners to people with an issue, but rarely do those satisfied owners make a big long post about how everything is groovy.

Cars now are better built, more reliable, better handling, and safer than they ever could have dreamed of in the original muscle car era. However, we also have the means to broadcast to the world our dissatisfaction with any little thing and thousands will take notice. Cars have blown up with 1000 miles since they were invented, the difference is in those days only you and your neighbor knew about it.

Sponsored
OP
OP

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
The problem is perception and not reality. 20 years ago you could not go on a dozen forums a night to see people complain about their cars problems. Its probably 100 to 1 satisfied owners to people with an issue, but rarely do those satisfied owners make a big long post about how everything is groovy.

Cars now are better built, more reliable, better handling, and safer than they ever could have dreamed of in the original muscle car era. However, we also have the means to broadcast to the world our dissatisfaction with any little thing and thousands will take notice. Cars have blown up with 1000 miles since they were invented, the difference is in those days only you and your neighbor knew about it.
True statements. Prior to social media the only way to learn about cars was from car clubs, magazines and the experiences of others. If something was truly awful it would make the mainstream papers. Still I wonder if we are just getting caught up in technology and allowing it to rule us for various reasons. We have certainly benefited in terms of safety, overall reliability, gas mileage, emissions and so forth and things are great when it all works. The problem is when the technology fails it can sometimes become a nightmare for the consumer and sometimes because the dealers are either unable or unwilling to fix the cars properly.
Personally I would never want to go back to tuning a car or setting up a carb using a vacuum gauge but at the same time a typical car with 5+ body control modules on the CANBUS seems excessive to me.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Cars are more reliable than they have ever been. Forums will make you think they're ticking time bombs. Relax. Buy a Honda or Toyota and you'll have the most reliable car on earth.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
Not trying to be a Debbie Downer here, but look at the various fora and it's obvious there is a problem here. And across all brands it seems similar.

Do you disagree with that premise?
You do know that for every "look at my problem" post there are 1000 people that have a perfect car...its a machine made by humans, there are bound to be issues. If you are not old enough ask folks what cars from the 70's and 80' were like and you will see the QC is 100's of times better now than 20-30 years ago
Sponsored