Sponsored

Bullitt Mustang on National Mall

MUSThavaSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT 6 speed PP
I love the Bullit, but isn't putting it in a glass box on the Washington Mall just a bit much? Is the Smithsonian next?

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Not the first car to be displayed there, won't be the last....

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
It’s cool and part of iconic cars on display. (Not just a Bullitt)

Snagged

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Cobra, '17 Corrolla
I love the Bullit, but isn't putting it in a glass box on the Washington Mall just a bit much? Is the Smithsonian next?
I don't think so. One of the most American things is the Mustang and movies. Seems like a great spot for it.

Sponsored

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
OK, which of the two original cars is that? I thought the one I saw at Knott's Fabulous Fords was the "Hero" version and the one in D.C. was the "Stunt" version. The one at Knott's had CA black plates JJZ109, but last night I saw Jay Leno and the owner of the "Hero" car driving it around the Ford Test track and it had Jersey BULITT plates on it. I don't remember seeing the "Stunt" car with any plates at all, which makes me think the D.C. car is the Mexican "Stunt" car.

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
OK, which of the two original cars is that? I thought the one I saw at Knott's Fabulous Fords was the "Hero" version and the one in D.C. was the "Stunt" version. The one at Knott's had CA black plates JJZ109, but last night I saw Jay Leno and the owner of the "Hero" car driving it around the Ford Test track and it had Jersey BULITT plates on it. I don't remember seeing the "Stunt" car with any plates at all, which makes me think the D.C. car is the Mexican "Stunt" car.
The original Hero car is registered in NJ. I believe the car at Knots was a replica car. It also looked pretty restored from photos. I believe the car in DC is the Hero car with its plates changed out. The Stunt car is still being rebuilt I believe. It was literally just part of a shell so unless they are replicating rust on it, it would have fresh paint.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
The car in D.C. is the car driven by Steve McQueen and is the hero car but also did many stunts (reverse burnout, skidding off the road at the end, etc). The Mexican car is the "jump" car driven by Bud Ekins and is supposedly undergoing a restoration still somewhere quietly on the west coast, but it was pretty far gone and much of it won't be original.

The original JJZ 109 plates were long separated from the original cars and were recently up for auction earlier this year with an asking price close to $30,000. Replicas are readily available and if the plates are real CA plates on the car at Knott's then it must be whoever owns the replica that got the new vintage vanity plates first. The car at Knott's was just a Bullitt clone since it has reverse lights and those were deleted on the movie cars.

The hero car after being sold to a Warner Brothers employee then was bought by a detective on the east coast who then sold it to the current owner's father, hence the "Bulitt" plates on it from 1980.
Sponsored