Watson 4 Point Roll Cage installed in HR361

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I was going to include this install within the HR361 thread here http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86609&page=8 . However, as I started to upload the photos and the sheer amount of information that was to be conveyed, I thought maybe that this ought to just be its own thread.

First, for anyone contemplating installing this into their 350, I would recommend reading the installation instructions as provided by Watson Racing. Here is the link. http://www.watsonracing.com/images/instructions/wr-s550-4-6pt-roll-bar-guide.pdf . I would not consider this setup as a temporary (track day) installation or for anyone who requires the use of a back seat. Way, way, too much work. Put it in and leave it there. With that said, the side trim panels will have to be trimmed and if you do not have an R, you will most likely need a rear seat delete (which will have to be trimmed as well.

The installation instructions are quite good. However, step 13 talks about build variances in S550 Mustangs. This, in my opinion is the worst part of the job. Because Watson Racing cannot control the build variances of Ford, they have to manufacture their product to try to comply with as many of those variances that Ford puts out. The instructions are cook book vanilla with one exception..... dealing with those variances of the ford manufacture. The most critical part of this install is step #20. The photo in the instruction pdf shows a stripped down body with nothing in the way. It would be easy and great if we had the luxury of locating and drilling holes to correctly place and drill for the nut plate so that we can mount the rear legs, however we have a rear, brake lines, wiring harness, and a fuel line to contend with. Follow the instructions up to step 20. Take your time in correctly locating and drilling the locations for the nut plates. They will exactly coincide with the horizontal beam. Too far forward or too far aft and you have screwed up the entire job.

I'll go through the instructions step by step with my thoughts and hints where applicable.

Steps 1-13) Follow as instructions indicate. Remove and retain plastic shoulder harness trip at the top of the shoulder harness. Have a roll of duct tape handy to protect areas from getting scratched.

Step 14) Installing the main roll hoop into the car requires that the far end go under the wiring harness and slightly outside the car to get the other end into the car.

Hint Use towels, duct tape, etc to protect the finish of paint and trim as needed
picture.jpg

Step 15-19) Follow as instructions indicate.
Hint
To avoid tearing up the paint on the bottom of the leg brackets and the deck of the car, I installed a neoprene adhesive gasket for finish preservation as well as a air/weather seal.
picture.jpg

Step 20-27). This is critical. This is the part that the car needs to be up on a jack. Temporarily install the rear legs of the cage and note where they lie in reference the spot welds of the deck to the horizontal beam. The legs can move forward and back, but not left and right. To determine where they go, you must reference the horizontal beam below the deck (under the car). Note each spot weld location and orientation in relation to the rear leg bracket mounting holes. Now, go under the car and physically compare how the center of the rear leg bracket holes (in relation to the spot welds) line up with the nut plate underneath the car. They must coincide. Hint. The nut plate bracket, when located correctly, will lay flat against the deck, and be up against the horizontal beam. If the leg bracket doesn't coincide with the location of the nut plate, then the leg bracket will have to be moved forward or aft to accommodate the location of the nut plate in relation to the horizontal beam. IIRC, the spacing forward to aft for the leg bracket is 5" on center. That leaves no room (forward and aft) of placement of the nut plate bracket that is mounted forward and aft of the horizontal beam under the car.

Hint
Once you locate the nut plate against the beam below the car. Note the spot weld location so that you can draw a line of reference to center of the nut on the nut plate. Use a caliper to measure 5" from that line to create a new reference line for the other three holes on the other side of the horizontal beam.
picture.jpg

Hint
I used IRWIN COBALT drill bits on a very low speed to drill the holes. You will find that the flange of the beam will not cover the entire 1/2" drill hole. The bit will tend to walk towards the end of the drilling. Once the hole is nearly through, use a dremmel or whatever to finish the 1/2" hole. The center 1/4" holes are not a concern.

Hint
WARNING!! There are brake lines, a fuel line, and a wiring harness directly below where you will be drilling. Take the time to move the affected lines and protect them from damage.

Hint
Drilling location and accuracy is absolutely critical. I recommend constructing a template and using a center punch to locate the pilot holes correctly.
picture.jpg

Hint
Use a circular file to chamfer the underside of the freshly drilled holes
picture.jpg

Hint
Use a primer and allow to dry before adding a lacquer coat to prevent rust
picture.jpg

Hint
Use a quality lacquer paint to cover the primed areas to prevent corrosion
picture.jpg

Steps 28-37)
Follow in accordance with instructions.

Steps 38-40)
I agonized over this one and honestly, I don't know what to recommend. I tried to find PVC with 1.75" ID at lowes and home depot. Nope. Closest thing was 2" electrical schedule 80 PVC, but it wasn't balls on. Next, I looked at a laser gun sight I had laying around, but there wasn't enough real estate on the stub to make that work. I finally robbed a cardboard tube that had an exact ID of 1.75" and I thought it would work great. It was very close. Doing it again, I would probably use the angle iron method. Mine turned out ok though....

picture.jpg

picture.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

H6G

IN OMNIA PARATVS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Now that’s quality workmanship! Your step-by-step instructions are outstanding! Even the guys in TechOps would be impressed.....

Next Phase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mopar
Thanks for posting, this is on my winter project list of things to do... Well done!

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Awesome thread [MENTION=21800]Tomster[/MENTION] :cheers:
Tons of great info:thumbsup:

A tip, rather than duct tape and whatever to cover the ends of anything, try using old micofiber towels secured with shrink wrap (available at HD, Lowes, Uhaul..). Example-https://www.homedepot.com/p/Pratt-Retail-Specialties-5-in-x-1000-ft-Stretch-Wrap-5005001/202029371
Easy on, easy off :D

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
My kids would be so pissed.

Sponsored

fuhrius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R, Focus RS, Raptor
nice work Tom.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Why would you install that over a 4 point that uses the stock rear belts? Aside from the fact you dont have stock rear belts lol.
I missed something. Install what over a 4 pt harness? I think we are on the same page, but I recommended to not install and take it out again. Despite what the description says, this roll bar is not readily installed or removed. However it can be done.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I missed something. Install what over a 4 pt harness? I think we are on the same page, but I recommended to not install and take it out again. Despite what the description says, this roll bar is not readily installed or removed. However it can be done.
That harness bar. I have a 4 point using the stock rear seat belt points

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Always enjoy reading up on your latest Tom. Nice work.

I've lagged on this one for too long. One thing I've had the itch to do would be black anodized billet collars that would come in halves and bolt around the downtubes where they pass through the seat delete panel in order to dress everything up.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Always enjoy reading up on your latest Tom. Nice work.

I've lagged on this one for too long. One thing I've had the itch to do would be black anodized billet collars that would come in halves and bolt around the downtubes where they pass through the seat delete panel in order to dress everything up.
Tob,

Thank you!

The only trouble I see with that is that the seat delete is a flexible item. I was just in the back doing the contortion dance to replace the rear speakers while I had it apart. That seat delete moves around and has to be a flexible item. If you were to put halves around the downtubes, it may interfere with the flexibility of the seat delete. Here is one right back at you..... Leave enough play to allow for flexibility and that would rock!!

Overall, I don't think anyone else would have done better had I hired the job out. So much attention to detail and working with little inconsistencies in the stacking of tolerances would have drove anyone else to just say F it and get it out the door.

I always appreciate your comments, thank you!

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Tob,

Thank you!

The only trouble I see with that is that the seat delete is a flexible item. I was just in the back doing the contortion dance to replace the rear speakers while I had it apart. That seat delete moves around and has to be a flexible item. If you were to put halves around the downtubes, it may interfere with the flexibility of the seat delete. Here is one right back at you..... Leave enough play to allow for flexibility and that would rock!!

I always appreciate your comments, thank you!
I didn't say the RSD panel had to be affixed to the collar as it could indeed float since the collar would be clamped to the downtube...:)

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I didn't say the RSD panel had to be affixed to the collar as it could indeed float since the collar would be clamped to the downtube...:)
Pure genius........

Rimox51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Very nice write up. I'm planning on doing this this winter as well.
Any photos of the mounts on the underside?

Did you have to remove the many lines underneath or just loosen mounts and protect?
Sponsored