Sponsored

Trailer hitch and wiring?

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
There are several aftermarket retailers that sell compatible Class I trailer hitches for Mustangs and T-connector wiring harnesses.
I am going to assume that by next summer (2015), that there will be hitches and wiring harnesses available for the 2015.

The 2015 Owners Manual talks about weight limitations for towing.
More importantly, the Manual states that owners should NOT connect trailer wiring to the rear wiring.

Do any Forum members have trailer hitches on their Mustangs? If so,
did you wire up the trailer wiring to the rear wiring or did you have to run
the power wire all the way up to the battery?

Would changing the trailer lights from incandescent to LED lower the power requirements enough to allow me to just hook on a T-connector?

I had to do that with my Toyota sedan.

Update...Just talked to my dealer...I will need to run a hot wire directly from the battery to the rear to the hitch wiring harness. He doubts that the LED wiring would be able to handle any additional
amperage.
Sponsored

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
Aren't the tail lights already LED? If so, that might be the heart of the problem. The system is already low amperage enough to not be able to support adding extra lights to it, maybe? I would put a hitch on mine, but probably not the wiring. I'd use it for carrying a bike rack, since I haven't found a roof rack for the convertible top yet... :D

OVRKILL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Built '91 Land Cruiser, '15 EB PP MT
Pardon the zombie post! I haven't found any other threads on trailer wiring.

I would not try to run standard lights off of the LED power lines. I'm sure they can handle it, but I'd rather expand the limits than push them.

I do have a rough plan of attack but it's mostly conjecture at this point until I get a copy of the s550 FSM.

Based on the s197 I'm assuming that there are two constant power lines going to a control board - one for stop, one for signals. This board handles things like flashing, sequencing, and voltage regulation for the LEDs. If this is the case, then I should have no trouble using them as control lines for a simple relay box. I will need to add a flasher assembly after the relay if it gets constant power, which is the approach I'd prefer for the relay's sake anyway.

I'll be sure to share my diagrams and build when I get the car in January.

http://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/tail-light-wiring-diagram-458049/

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
The kit I bought from etrailer includes a cable to run all the way direct to the battery, with an inline fuse and terminals. I just put it in some plastic wire loom to help protect it. Pretty easy to install, though I could crawl under the Edge to route the wire, I can barely get my arm under the Mustang without ramps or a jack.

Piece of cake, but why would you put a trailer hitch on a Mustang?

I did on my '67 and towed my 14' sailboat behind it for years. Thought about it on my '04 just to use a no touch receiver hitch bike rack, but never did.

Sponsored

OP
OP

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hitch receiver on 2015...

I put more than a thousand miles a year on my bike. I was hoping to be able to take my bike with my TY convertible. My brother told me to wrap the bike in a tarp and throw it in the back seat. One more person who is not shotgunning.

BC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/PP, Guard
I put more than a thousand miles a year on my bike. I was hoping to be able to take my bike with my TY convertible. My brother told me to wrap the bike in a tarp and throw it in the back seat. One more person who is not shotgunning.
Anybody actually put a hitch and receiver on their GT yet? If so what make and model? And is it possible to put one on without it looking terrible?

Having a hard time finding something that says it fits 2015 GT.

I too would like to do this, but only for bike rack use. Don't want to get the type with straps that sit on the rear.

But if all else fails I have plan B...which I tried to day with success,
I have a Specialized mountain bike. I pulled the front wheel off, pulled the seat out, put down the rear seats and I have a heavy duty 3 x 5 mat that I laid down front to back.

I was able to get my bike in and close the trunk without too much effort but I'd rather do the hitch mounted carrier.

BC

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
Used to do that with my 2004 and it has a much smaller trunk, and the amps hung down from the package tray which made taking two bikes impossible without hanging out the open trunk.

OP
OP

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I realize that I would have to run a fused power line directly from the battery back to the hitch. The real problem will be to how to attach a hitch to the car. There seems to be even less room/height available to run a Class 1 hitch under the back up light and onto the chassis than my 2010. After abrading the trunk on a previous car, I won't use a "pads and straps" bike rack.

OP
OP

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Back in 1972, i used to pull an 18 foot speed boat with my Mach I. Never had a problem with towing. Now I am worried about hauling a couple of bikes off the back (LOL).
Sponsored