HR361 - 2017 GT350R - The Story

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Hello everyone,

First, this is not one of those "look what I got" (R posts). Congrats not necessary, but thank you. The point of this story is what I have been suspecting for some time now. The GT350 market has softened and the R market is starting to change.

My story..... Back in May of 2016, I placed an order after I was able to find an allocation after excruciating searches and failed attempts around the country. I happened to find one at my local dealer, after a buyer backed out. The market at that time was averaging 20K ADM all day long.

Fast forward to oldmachguy's post that Flat Rock was to produce a total of 1,000 R models in the 2017 MY. There have been sporadic reports of deals in the 10's and 5's and a few at MSRP.

Recently, there was a post here on the forum that a dealer in the Tampa area had a triple yellow GT350R for sale at 5k ADM. At the time, I had an allocation from my local dealer for a 10K ADM. I contacted the Tampa dealer and was told the car would be sold to me for a 5K ADM. I called my local dealer and explained the situation. I was told they would match the 5K ADM. I agreed. I passed on the triple yellow R at 5K over.

Yesterday, I texted the salesman at the dealership to inquire about the fate of the triple yellow R. I was told it was still available. I offered MSRP. It was rejected. Eventually it was agreed upon for a 2K ADM.

I posted a thread inquiring about trade in vs private sale. It was debated back and forth, but it was close enough to just trade my 2016 Track Pack in and be done with it. As much as I hated to see the car go, it was a no brainer to get a good trade value and an R at 2K.

Today I lined up all the details and packed up the track pack 350 and headed to the Tampa area. It was hard saying goodbye to a car that was very good to me, but we wrapped up all the details and I left with HR361. A thankful and special shoutout to [MENTION=22907]dron_jones[/MENTION] for the heads up and lead on this R.

Now, for all of you "this isn't real without any pics" folks, here you go.

picture.jpg

picture.jpg

picture.jpg

picture.jpg

picture.jpg

The only hiccup today was that they could not find the splitter. I was told that a new one was on order and as soon as it arrives, it would be sent fedex to me.

Again, the point of this story is that the prices of R's are coming down. This car has been on the radar here on this forum for a while now. It is my understanding that the car was the subject of other threads and on other boards. Nobody bought it at 5k. Without batting an eye, my dealer agreed to lower my 10K ADM to 5K.

With all that said, the part that matters is the dealers have to re-learn the supply and demand aspect of the R market. I think it is safe to say that they are all in a form of denial and wishful thinking. I recently had a long layover in south Florida and called a lot of dealers around the country. I got more of the same. 20K..... bla bla bla. As these cars sit, reality will have to set in sooner or later. The car I bought today sat for 2 1/2 months.

My advice is be persistent. Don't give up if you want one of these. As time goes on, I believe that the prices will fall at dealers who were asking unreasonable ADM's.

Now, with that being said, a lot of this is contingent upon what happens in MY 18. Full year? Short year? 1000 R's 100? This bit of information will dictate where the R market will go. I wish I could say more, but my crystal ball is in the shop.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
Great buy and good trade in I believe. Now updater your avatar.

Av8orntn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Yellow looks great on these cars. I have HR316 and it is yellow. When I first saw your title I thought that it said you just picked up HR316 and did a double take. Enjoy!

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
I used stories like these as examples when I did my research. Most dealers as you describe are in denial and are only looking at asking prices on EBay and other car sites thinking this is current market. I will add however, my best offer was $7500 over on a left over '16 in a color I was not too fond of. My MSRP deal was more luck, as I stumbled onto a dealer that doesn't charge ADM's on any of their specialty vehicles that just happened to have a dealer ordered allocation on route that was not spoken for.

ROC1ROB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
It took me 3 weeks but I eventually got my GT350 at MSRP with some extras thrown in. Keep pressuring these guys they know there BS is coming to an end. I love the color..... maybe I should have waited longer. LOL

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I used stories like these as examples when I did my research. Most dealers as you describe are in denial and are only looking at asking prices on EBay and other car sites thinking this is current market. I will add however, my best offer was $7500 over on a left over '16 in a color I was not too fond of. My MSRP deal was more luck, as I stumbled onto a dealer that doesn't charge ADM's on any of their specialty vehicles that just happened to have a dealer ordered allocation on route that was not spoken for.
And very true. That is the reason for the "persistence" part of my post above. If you are not trying on a regular basis, you will never score. Again, never give up and settle only where you are comfortable.

Very nice score. You are one of the lucky ones!

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Gorgeous car. Objectively speaking I think the fact that the yellow with black and red striping isn't one of the more popular color combos along with trading in a car at the same time likely affected your ADM. Mark-ups and re-sale are very heavily affected by colors. Should have tried asking for a base GT350 splitter in the meantime to "hold you over" hehe.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Bonafide R. Dayum.

Congrats on the persistence finally paying off.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Gorgeous car. Objectively speaking I think the fact that the yellow with black and red striping isn't one of the more popular color combos along with trading in a car at the same time likely affected your ADM. Mark-ups and re-sale are very heavily affected by colors. Should have tried asking for a base GT350 splitter in the meantime to "hold you over" hehe.
A cash deal of 2k ADM was made and the trade was an afterthought. I didn't have to trade to get that deal, but nonetheless, with another R on the way, the track pack had to go.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Bonafide R. Dayum.

Congrats on the persistence finally paying off.
And the kicker....... your caliperfexion studs went with it. I wasn't going to undo that mod......

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I missed the splitter part. I happen to have a new in box standard splitter. They told me a week for the splitter and I don't want to drive it until it is wrapped.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I like to collect any info available on my car - so FYI, you can get the electronic PDF version of your window sticker here - as well as screenshot the ad at the dealer, if you're nerdy like me.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Jeff

Last edited:

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Cleaned it up - PMd.
Sponsored