Sponsored

Question about R springs

kart125

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350/2008 Saab TurboX SC
I'm looking to upgrade my Gt350 springs to R springs. I found on the general forums a spreadsheet with all the spring rates from stock to aftermaket springs.

They rate GT350 F/R to 194/914 and GT350R to 240/914.

Is there a benefit in going for the rear R springs since the spring rate is the same as the non-R?
Sponsored

zzj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zac
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 H1828
I think the R springs are a little bit lower regardless spring rate. You don't want lower front springs with higher non-R rear springs. They do have different part numbers for rear springs so there must be a reason for that since they have the same rate.

OP
OP
kart125

kart125

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350/2008 Saab TurboX SC
I've read in other threads confusing info about R springs lowering the car or not... Voodooo confirmed it does not lower the car and he knows his stuff. I agree that if different p/n there must be a reason...

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
The R springs are the way to go. Unless you want to lower the car. The R springs will lower the car 0 to 1/4". For how cheap the springs cost, I bought all 4 and powdered coated mine red so I knew for personal reference which springs I had on the car and wouldn't confuse them with the stock Non-R springs.

zzj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zac
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 H1828
I remember that post since I was wondering the same when I ordering the springs myself. I research a lot of online info and getting the answers from lowering 0, 1/8 and 1/4 inch. So it's not a very noticeable drop if they are lowered at all. Voodoo had both front and rear on his car. I end up got all of them. Rear pair cost about 200 or so if I remember it right. So I think I'd rather spend a little bit more to make myself worry free from lowering issue.

Sponsored

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
I remember that post since I was wondering the same when I ordering the springs myself. I research a lot of online info and getting the answers from lowering 0, 1/8 and 1/4 inch. So it's not a very noticeable drop if they are lowered at all. Voodoo had both front and rear on his car. I end up got all of them. Rear pair cost about 200 or so if I remember it right. So I think I'd rather spend a little bit more to make myself worry free from lowering issue.
You paid $200 for just the rear springs?

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Lol. Ok. I'm not the only one who's swapped to R springs.
But I am one of the first and you do not need to do anything else.

RoadRacer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Seems a little odd that increasing the front rates that much wouldn't require a recalibration of the magneride dampers. Is your opinion based on experience with your cars performance or validated by someone with understanding of the programming running our dampers?

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Seems a little odd that increasing the front rates that much wouldn't require a recalibration of the magneride dampers. Is your opinion based on experience with your cars performance or validated by someone with understanding of the programming running our dampers?
Thats ok. Don't take my word. Others have done it also.
DSC, vorshlag, cortex etc.
you asked and I answered your question. Plain and simple. If you want to run R springs you do not need a recalibration. But I'm also going to use a DSC controller to further enhance my cars performance.
If you notice my mods below I also replaced all the bushings with bearings, reduced weight with forgeline wheels, pilot sport cup 2 305/30 tires, replaced all the rubber chassis bushings with solid bushings, Vorshlag camber plates etc.

Bingo13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350R, '16 GT350 TRP, '18 GT PP2, '03 Cobra
The re-calibration is not needed. This is based on (7) track events with the R-springs installed and with a Ford Engineer attending an early event at TWS.

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
The Magneride shocks are the same ones used on the Corvette. Corvettes and Mustangs also use the same DSC controller to tune the damping. All Corvettes use same DSC calibration, regardless of spring. In fact the calibration values for the Shelby are identical to those of the Corvette. Michael Levitas has been daily driving an R for the past two weeks and will be releasing updated software and firmware next week. I mentioned to him that my car is bouncy on certain roads. He told me to be sure the "transport blocks" are out from the springs. Has anyone heard of those?
Sponsored