Sponsored

Battery voltage

ponie1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red PP GT
What is everyone's battery voltage while cruising on throttle, in gear off throttle and idle?

I noticed today that mine was as low as 12.6 volts while cruising in 5th gear on throttle. When I would let off the throttle while in gear, the voltage would jump up as high as 14.2 volts, then back down when back on the throttle. When I was stopped at idle, voltage would drop to as low as 12.1 volts.
This does not seem normal to me. Typically, the voltage should be around 14 volts during normal operation, so that the battery will charge.
Am I missing something here?
Sponsored

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
Ive never had my display voltage up but did you have your foot on the brake when stopped at idle?

OP
OP
ponie1992

ponie1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red PP GT
Ive never had my display voltage up but did you have your foot on the brake when stopped at idle?
Showed the same voltage whether on or off the brake.

TruBlu16GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darrin
Vehicle(s)
'16 Blue GT Base
It was explained to me that this is Ford's "Smart Charge" system in action. I noticed the same thing on my car and was told not to be concerned as it's normal. The alternator will only charge when absolutely necessary. But I'm in the same boat as you, seeing less than 14.4 volts when running scares the poop out of me too.

OP
OP
ponie1992

ponie1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red PP GT
It was explained to me that this is Ford's "Smart Charge" system in action. I noticed the same thing on my car and was told not to be concerned as it's normal. The alternator will only charge when absolutely necessary. But I'm in the same boat as you, seeing less than 14.4 volts when running scares the poop out of me too.
Right! Seeing 12.1V is not good imo. That's actually draining the battery. It's weird cause it varies so much. Since I've been watching it, I rarely see over 14V.

Sponsored

Twenty15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium | DIB
I noticed this the other day as well, but did not think to pursue the problem on this forum. Glad it is normal.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Ford has smart charging only charge when needed to reduce drag on the engine also prolongs the life of the alternator.

Mrpopper239

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leonardo
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
What is everyone's battery voltage while cruising on throttle, in gear off throttle and idle?

I noticed today that mine was as low as 12.6 volts while cruising in 5th gear on throttle. When I would let off the throttle while in gear, the voltage would jump up as high as 14.2 volts, then back down when back on the throttle. When I was stopped at idle, voltage would drop to as low as 12.1 volts.
This does not seem normal to me. Typically, the voltage should be around 14 volts during normal operation, so that the battery will charge.
Am I missing something here?
Really wish I can find some help/answers to why my battery voltage when it drops in the 12s my idle just starts to drop, sporadically and seems to only do it when the voltage drops. Haven’t done anything crazy to the car regarding electronics, it’s stock in that sense. Only bolt ons are roush exhaust and a cold air intake everything else is stock. Sorry for the long post just trying to fix my issue.

OP
OP
ponie1992

ponie1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red PP GT
Really wish I can find some help/answers to why my battery voltage when it drops in the 12s my idle just starts to drop, sporadically and seems to only do it when the voltage drops. Haven’t done anything crazy to the car regarding electronics, it’s stock in that sense. Only bolt ons are roush exhaust and a cold air intake everything else is stock. Sorry for the long post just trying to fix my issue.
How low does the idle drop?

Sponsored
OP
OP
ponie1992

ponie1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red PP GT
Oh it drops low like slam or stalls out at times and just way below 300 rpms and then when the voltage kicks back up it goes back to around 650 rpms
Yeah, that's an issue. I'd have the alternator checked.

drive_55_not

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Coyote, S197 3v, 2018 Gen3 [RIP], 2020 Challenger 'Cat
Has brand new alternator

Most of the stalling issues seem to be VCT related,, My 2018 stalled occationally on 93, really acted up when I ran E85,, I switched back to 93 for the winter and left it parked most of the time and it hasn't stalled on me since I started driving it more a few weeks ago..

You could also have a vacuum leak somewhere ,,, I checked on my car but didn't find anything that stood out.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2016-mustang-gt-idle-dip-and-stall.114262/

Mrpopper239

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leonardo
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Most of the stalling issues seem to be VCT related,, My 2018 stalled occationally on 93, really acted up when I ran E85,, I switched back to 93 for the winter and left it parked most of the time and it hasn't stalled on me since I started driving it more a few weeks ago..

You could also have a vacuum leak somewhere ,,, I checked on my car but didn't find anything that stood out.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2016-mustang-gt-idle-dip-and-stall.114262/

Yeah that’s what I’ve been reading so I took a shot and ordered some new vct solenoids...idk what else to do. Hopefully that fixes the issues
Sponsored