Sponsored

Voltage fluctuations

ua13gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Race Red Boss 302
I noticed today that my voltage fluctuates from 12.0 to 13.6 but mostly around 12.2 unless I turn on the headlights and it settles near 12.6

Has anyone had this happen or is it some new type of power management?

My boss 302 always stayed between 13.2 and 13.5 relatively steady.
Sponsored

Nemesys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White S550
Yep, I researched this a lot, and from what I understand, the charging system doesnt crank up to 14.1 or 13s unless the battery is detected to be low.

steviebee72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1, FJG
mine did the same thing on saturday.. saw volts from 12.0 to 14.0. kinda was freaking me out.
also didnt increase with rpm like the older cars used to..
weird

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk, yea we know that, it means I'm in between surfing for mods. 2015 DIB 50 year GT PP

berserker_sid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard GT premium
mine did the same thing on saturday.. saw volts from 12.0 to 14.0. kinda was freaking me out.
also didnt increase with rpm like the older cars used to..
weird

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk, yea we know that, it means I'm in between surfing for mods. 2015 DIB 50 year GT PP
Brother this is normal... its not bad battery or fluctuations... its ur battery charging and discharging... so its normal

OP
OP

ua13gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Race Red Boss 302
Okay, I am relieved now. This was not the case on my 2013 Boss 302 the voltage stayed around 13.5 V constant.

Sponsored

mc lane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP AT, '05 Chrysler 300 C, '18 Navara Twin Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
not sure for the s550
but modern cars have a complex power Management
to save fuel, the Batterie is most intensely charged when are driving at a certain Speed and you step off the gas (in this case the alternator is switched to max Performance which helps slowing down your car without using the Brakes (the energy of your moving vehicle is transformed into electric energy to Charge your battery instead of transforming it into heat (because the brakepads are applied to the discs)
on the other Hand: when you are accelerating, the alternator is switched off (if the battery is not too far down) to save fuel (your engine has enough to do by moving your vehicle)
there are many other driving situations which lead to switching on or off...

berserker_sid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard GT premium
not sure for the s550
but modern cars have a complex power Management
to save fuel, the Batterie is most intensely charged when are driving at a certain Speed and you step off the gas (in this case the alternator is switched to max Performance which helps slowing down your car without using the Brakes (the energy of your moving vehicle is transformed into electric energy to Charge your battery instead of transforming it into heat (because the brakepads are applied to the discs)
on the other Hand: when you are accelerating, the alternator is switched off (if the battery is not too far down) to save fuel (your engine has enough to do by moving your vehicle)
there are many other driving situations which lead to switching on or off...
wat u telling is right but this concept for hybrid vehicles...not on normal and sports cars.. what you see on s550 or any car voltage fluctuation is normal charging discharging cycle .

H1 GT

Crew Chief
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
15 4C, 97 H1
Not just hybrids. I've been in other modern cars (not hybrids) that completely cut off the alternator when you're having fun so every ounce of power is dedicated to driving, not auxiliary systems.

What the OP described is normal. I don't know the specifics on the S550, but it may do as mentioned above, it may constantly keep the charge over 12v, and it may cut the alternators output over a certain amount of given throttle.
Sponsored