Sponsored

Question on 10 speed

Jaws12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
I want to reset the shift logic on my GT Premium so that it "re-learns" my driving style and reacts accordingly.

Does anyone know how this is accomplished?

The dealer said they would need my car for the entire day and re-flash the transmission and then drive it for a while so it doesn't act wonky.

Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored

p51

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver GT w/ PP
try unplugging the battery for a minute or 2?

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
It should adjust automatically. It's not like once it learns how you drive it will do the same forever.
What is making you think you need to reset it?

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
Jason is correct, the tranny continues to adjust. However, if you are in a hurry you can do as p51 says, just unhook the positive cable for a few minutes. Remember, either way it will take the tranny awhile to learn.

Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Jason is correct, the tranny continues to adjust. However, if you are in a hurry you can do as p51 says, just unhook the positive cable for a few minutes. Remember, either way it will take the tranny awhile to learn.
Unhooking the positive battery cable is not a good ideal if you get a spark while hooking it back up it's possible to fry the ecm

stevegt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium. 2019 GT PP1 ordered
Unhooking the positive battery cable is not a good ideal if you get a spark while hooking it back up it's possible to fry the ecm
Uhh, not to sure about that. I disconnect mine all the time and 6 years later my ecm is fine. I am disconnecting the neg though and do get a spark when booking it back up.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Wheres that info from?

ECM is protected against ESD, reverse polarity, and inductive kick back. PTC self resetting over current device, bipolar TVS transient voltage supression diode, reverse polarity protection diode, ferrite bead pie filter for EMI... this is not some 1990s ECU

A spark is simply inrush current charging the bulk capacitors on all the various power supply sections in all the sensors, bcm, ecu, abs, etc.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
Not sure about this transmission but others that have adaptive learning can be reset other ways too (ie, holding down gas pedal while putting car in accessory mode and releasing gas pedal). Some engineer with Ford would probably be the only one knowing this.

Sponsored

Deleted member 35644

I've been thinking about doing this myself. My transmission does some weird stuff sometimes. The most alarming is when it slams into drive and lurches forward the nanosecond the shifter is moved from P to D, with a warm engine at idle. Most of the time, it engages smoothly, with a normal delay, but every once in a while, I shift into Drive, and BAM....and the car jumps. I also get the occasional 'jerk' on the highway, like it can't decide what to do. The 6sp auto in my '17 never did any of this.

Anyone else experiencing this?

hawkbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT Premium PP
I've been thinking about doing this myself. My transmission does some weird stuff sometimes. The most alarming is when it slams into drive and lurches forward the nanosecond the shifter is moved from P to D, with a warm engine at idle. Most of the time, it engages smoothly, with a normal delay, but every once in a while, I shift into Drive, and BAM....and the car jumps. I also get the occasional 'jerk' on the highway, like it can't decide what to do. The 6sp auto in my '17 never did any of this.

There are a couple threads on this actually - mine does some weird crud from 4 - 5 and 5 - 6th, it will hold gears too long, lurch, etc - not shift sometimes (and its not from torque convertor lock up or from step down before you guys go there...)

Check for those other threads.

Mine is at dealer today partly having them look at this.

Ginger1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Premium

Mine does the same thing but the opposite. When the car is cold and I shift from Drive or Reverse into Park, BAM. 2018 Ecoboost with A10.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
This is the process to getting the 10R80 to “relearn” after a reset (originally supplied and posted by member DickR):

307-01 Automatic Transmission 2018 Mustang
General Procedures Procedure revision date: 01/13/2017

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adaptive Learning Drive Cycle
Activation

NOTE: Perform the adaptive learning drive cycle on a level road surface.

NOTE: The engine and transmission must be at normal operating temperature with the transmission fluid at the correct level.

Record then clear the DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes).

Warm the engine and transmission to normal operating temperature.

Accelerate from a stop with light throttle (15%) ensuring that the 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 4-5, 5-6, 6-7, 7-8 shifts occur at engine speeds between 1300-1600 rpm.

Continue to accelerate (may apply slightly more throttle after 7-8 upshift at 32-38 mph (51-61 km/h) until you achieve 55 mph (88 km/h) and the 8-9 and 9-10 shifts complete.

Brake very gently to a complete stop and hold foot on brake for five (5) seconds.

Perform a Neutral to Reverse engagement.

Repeat Steps 3 through 6 six additional times.

Copyright © Ford Motor Company
This is more good info from DickR too that was posted a while back about the 10R80’s shifting characteristics:

From the Factory Service Manual:

System Operation

The 10R80 transmission is a 10-speed, step ratio rear wheel drive transmission that is controlled by a PCM . The 10R80 has ten forward speeds, one reverse speed, four planetary gear sets, one mechanical One-Way Clutch or OWC, six friction clutches, an upper valve body, a lower valve body with eight solenoids, and PCM controlled electronics. The 10R80 utilizes six shift (A-F) solenoids that are linear force solenoids. Unlike previous shift solenoids they are mechanical in nature in that no transmission fluid passes through them. CIDAS s use a armature/pin assembly that moves a control valve in the main control valve body to control and apply hydraulic fluid pressure. Each clutch (A-F) is controlled by a corresponding shift solenoid (A-F). These solenoids are directly proportional in that zero current equals zero pressure and maximum current equals maximum pressure. If the power circuit to the transmission solenoids fails open, then all solenoids are failed electrically OFF, none of the clutch packs are able to engage and there is no fail safe operation.

Upshift Gear Sequence

At times the 10-speed transmission may skip gears when the vehicle starts from a complete stop. This is normal and desired behavior .

At part pedal when acceleration is brisk, single step upshifts would result in very frequent shift events (very short time in gear). Double step upshifts results when a longer time is spent in gear.

However, at light pedal or road load, single step upshifts will occur. The small 10-speed gear steps allow the engine speed to drop to lower values than it would in the 6-speed transmission; providing for the best fuel economy. In contrast, when the 10-speed transmission is at heavy or max pedal, the small steps keep the engine closer to the horsepower peak for best performance.

Down shift Gear Sequence

At times the 10-speed transmission may skip gears when the vehicle down shifts to a complete stop. This is normal and desired behavior .

The same skip shift strategy that is used for the upshift may be applied during down shift.
Info on road testing shifting. Note the info on how long it might take for the TCC (torque converter clutch) to lock up in tenth gear. Unfortunately no info on timing of TCC lock up in other gears.

Road Testing Vehicle
Shift Point Road Test

NOTE: Always drive the vehicle in a safe manner according to driving conditions and obey all traffic laws.

Upshift Gear Sequence

At times the 10-speed transmission may skip gears when the vehicle starts from a complete stop. This is normal and desired behavior .

At part pedal when acceleration is brisk, single step upshifts would result in very frequent shift events (very short time in gear). Double step upshifts results when a longer time is spent in gear.

However, at light pedal or road load, single step upshifts will occur. The small 10-speed gear steps allow the engine speed to drop to lower values than it would in the 6-speed transmission; providing for the best fuel economy. In contrast, when the 10-speed transmission is at heavy or max pedal, the small steps keep the engine closer to the horsepower peak for best performance.

Downshift Gear Sequence

At times the 10-speed transmission may skip gears when the vehicle down shifts to a complete stop. This is normal and desired behavior .

The same skip shift strategy that is used for the upshift may be applied during down shift.

Most performance based automatic transmission DTC s require the fault to be detected multiple times before setting a DTC . In many instances the faults musts be detected consecutively a predetermined number of times (up to five). Performing the shift point road test as detailed below increases the likelihood that a DTC sets if a fault is present in the system.

Shift Point Road Test

1. Bring engine and transmission up to normal operating temperature.

1. Operate the vehicle with the selector lever in the D position.

1. From a stop, accelerate the vehicle to 80 km/h (50 mph) with the shifts occurring at approximately 2000 rpm. Stay in 10th gear for 30 seconds or until the TCC applies. Repeat this two times.

1. From a stop, accelerate the vehicle to 80 km/h (50 mph) with the shifts occurring at approximately 3000 rpm. Stay in 10th gear for 30 seconds or until the TCC applies. Repeat this two times.

1. If the transmission fails to upshift/downshift,
    REFER to: Diagnosis By Symptom (307-01 Automatic Transmission, Diagnosis and Testing).

Shift Speed Chart

Shift Speed
1-2 15 mph ( 24 km/h)
2-3 20 mph ( 32 km/h)
3-4 27 mph ( 43 km/h)
4-5 32 mph ( 51 km/h)
5-6 37 mph ( 60 km/h)
6-7 42 mph ( 68 km/h)
7-8 48 mph ( 77 km/h)
8-9 52 mph ( 84 km/h)
9-10 60 mph ( 97 km/h)
Sponsored