Sponsored

2015-17 2.3 turbo accepted by NHRA for competition

yo ken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Not sure how many of you follow NHRA, but NHRA has put into their competition guide the 2015-17 2.3 turbo to compete in Stock Eliminator. NHRA Stock eliminator is one of NHRA's most popular classes with very strick rules on modifications.

Below is a link to a discussion on what we can expect from this combo. They mention Lund Racing as to the potential of the 2.3 turbo. There is some technical talk but its still is pretty interesting and nice to see NHRA involved with factory's cars again.

http://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=70169

I would be interested in some of your comments as NHRA would allow these cars to race at a much lighter weight, as low 3375 in certain classes.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Ken, if we could see the list of rules, that would be great. I don't know about running at a much lighter weight if there are alot of "don'ts" in the class. If they mean lighter weight by gutting the interior-ok. But it this means fiberglass/carbon fiber doors, fenders etc. costs might become prohibitive.

OP
OP

yo ken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Ken, if we could see the list of rules, that would be great. I don't know about running at a much lighter weight if there are alot of "don'ts" in the class. If they mean lighter weight by gutting the interior-ok. But it this means fiberglass/carbon fiber doors, fenders etc. costs might become prohibitive.
Stock rules are specific mostly to engines. It would be easier for me to tell you what you can or can not do than give you a link to the rule book.

You would have to use the stock turbo. Approved aftermarket rods and pistons are okay as long as compression and style of piston is used. Same with the crank, you can get a aftermarket crank approved as long as its not lighter and has the same stroke. Camshafts have to be stock lift, but any duration is okay. Any ignition system is legal as is any type of fuel injection system such as Holley or F.A.S.T or the stock maf and aftermarket tuners.

As far as Body, you have to use the stock interior and exterior parts. You can use aftermarket front racing seats. You can remove everything under the dash if you wish and remove center console, but the interior must be stock appearing. A roll bar will have to be added along with a safety harness. Stock radiator must be retained. Aftermarket intercooler is okay if it fits in the stock location. Any brand springs or shocks as long as they are the same configuration of the stock type. No coil over conversion. Transmission can be the stock 6 speed or after 6 speed manual. Automatic can be a C4 or the stock 6 speed auto. You will need a transmission shield for the auto. Any rear gear is okay. Aftermarket light weight brakes are okay, light weight wheels are okay. Rear tire must be a slick no larger than a 9x30. Drag radial not permitted, such as a nitto.

As for weight this combo fits into three different weight classes. The heaviest being 3600lbs.

I don't think I would recommend racing a car off the street, but it can be done. A fully race prepped car could easily be a number one qualifier. A car you would drive on the street and take to the track could still be very competitive. The index for the 3600lbs class is a 12.65. Street versions with an auto have run 11.80's. Running .85 under your index puts you at the top half of the qualifying order.

So to answer your question, you would not have to gut the car.

Here are the engine specs....

BORE 3.444STROKE 3.700

DISPLACEMENT 138
ROD LENGTH 5.878
C.R. 9.5
Turbo # FR3E-9424-JA

Notes
1= Round throttle body 2.362 (60mm)
2= 1.968 Compressor wheel diameter 1.996 Compressor housing diameter

Cylinder Head Castings
A= RFEJ7E-6090EB, EJ7E-6049-EE

Deck Piston .000