HotBadgerFart

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
looks promising, thanks for installing and reviewing! Any chance you could record a video of you flipping through screens, etc? Pretty interested to see responsiveness, as well as curious about how long that HVAC adjustment notification hovers, and if you are able to make it go away my tapping the screen elsewhere, etc.

Also curious how waze functions - is it smooth as you are driving around?

Thanks again
Here's a quick video of the menus this morning.

Sponsored

OP
OP
HotBadgerFart

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
looks promising, thanks for installing and reviewing! Any chance you could record a video of you flipping through screens, etc? Pretty interested to see responsiveness, as well as curious about how long that HVAC adjustment notification hovers, and if you are able to make it go away my tapping the screen elsewhere, etc.

Also curious how waze functions - is it smooth as you are driving around?

Thanks again
The videos are subpar, but I recorded them @60FPS so you could see the responsiveness, despite my unsteady hands.

The HVAC screen is up for 10 seconds, and allows you to change most HVAC settings via the touch screen (I don't know why you'd want to though) Can't tap elsewhere, it's a full screen popup, I'll get a clip of that later.

OP
OP
HotBadgerFart

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Lots of questions here....

Does the backup camera work immediately at start before the unit boots up?

I don't know. My camera is offline right now.

With the temp control indication, does it give you anything that tells you where the heat/cool knob is positioned? Or is it just a static image? I've noticed the factory indicator on the knob is terrible to see unless lit up at night. Would be cool (pun not intended) if it showed heat/cool percent or bars. (Like the fan speed is currently.)

It's a pretty static image. Just shows where the air is selected (Vent, Defrost, Floor) and the fan speed.

What is feeding bluetooth audio from a phone like? I listen to tech podcasts and currently I can play through the factory radio with controls from the head unit. I'm expecting show names and pause, next, etc.

I don't know yet. I usually stream Spotify via Bluetooth, but now I just use Spotify installed on the unit.

How do the controls below the screen function? Arrows, eject, etc. Does the Tune knob work anywhere except a radio app?

The eject button does nothing AFAIK. The arrows still control things in SYNC (while I have it connected.) Tune knob only tunes the tuner.

Would also like to see some video showing boot, backup cam, switching apps, navigation.

I can get a boot video at some point. Can't help with backup cam, but did some other videos a couple posts up.

Regarding install. Is there anything that needs to be done that would complicate return to stock? (I generally want to know this about any mod.)

There is a plastic cover on the BACK of the stock radio that may need to be trimmed. I can not confirm, because mine was already done for a TomTop years ago. Even with the trimming done, it's not noticeable when reverted to stock.

It sounds like your SWC Voice button is still tied to Ford Sync. What does it
look like when you are interacting with sync? Just an overlay?

I'll get some pics or video of it. It's still tied to it, because I left the Module connected. This weekend I'll be testing without it.

Do both the Android OS and Sync have access to music on a UFD?

I don't know, I don't listen to music on USB drives.

I agree with you on getting the voice to work with something besides sync but I see an issue. What if I want to use OK google to play a song on the HU but want to place a call or send a TXT from the phone using OK Google?
I use OK Google and SYNC Voice to make calls, both work, but I'm connected to a hotspot.

It seems like this might work better with Android Auto where all your data and communication is going through the phone. Doesn't Google Assist/OK Google require a data connection? Then again if assistant was tied to the button and not the "ok google" voice prompt this may work better. Just not sure how this integration would go. I would find myself wanting to use the head unit to access and control content from the phone.

Android Auto will be tested soon. I will never use it, because I have a WiFi hotspot in my car that turns on when the car starts.

How is the screen in the sun?

This morning in glaring morning light, I could still see it. There is a glare, but I still have the stock screen protector on it.

Wearing sunglasses?

My future isn't that bright, so I have no idea.

Does the clock support AM/PM format?

Only 12 or 24 hour format. I'm not sure why anyone over the age of 7 would need to know if it's AM or PM from a clock.

quiong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang V6
Looks really promising. Is it tethering to your phone for the internet connection for waze? Does it do this automatically each time on startup?

Sponsored

OP
OP
HotBadgerFart

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Looks really promising. Is it tethering to your phone for the internet connection for waze? Does it do this automatically each time on startup?
I have a tiny WiFi Hotspot from T-Mobile (It's Alcatel I believe) that is USB powered with an internal battery. When I start the car, it powers the USB which turns the hotspot on, and the head unit automatically connects.

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
I got it from the guy at www.mustangrad.io as a Beta tester. I know he wants to get another dose of them on the market for more feedback before he actually starts officially selling them online.
I'd be interested in testing it, cant get that site to load though.

kh1818

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
FYI site is back up now - just signed up for email notification from them for updates. Last thing to convince me to pull the trigger would be an install video which i assume they will put up on their site! Pretty excited about this.

OP
OP
HotBadgerFart

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
So, I just spent the last hour on the phone with the guy, and he is going to open up a Beta Program on this unit. It will be a limited number of people (He said at least 20) who are interested in ordering a pre-production unit (like I did) at a discount and providing direct feedback to him, participating in testing patches/updates and feature upgrades before everyone else. He's working on getting all the information together to post on the site (which he said is having issues with his hosting by the way, so just keep trying.)

Sponsored

randy_tho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does the backup camera work immediately at start before the unit boots up?

I don't know. My camera is offline right now.
I'm betting it works immediately but this would be a deal breaker.

What is feeding bluetooth audio from a phone like? I listen to tech podcasts and currently I can play through the factory radio with controls from the head unit. I'm expecting show names and pause, next, etc.

I don't know yet. I usually stream Spotify via Bluetooth, but now I just use Spotify installed on the unit.
I'm not planning on paying more monthly fees to Verizon so I won't be doing the hotspot. Awesome use though. WiFi/Tethering could be an option but I would have to use something automated because don't want to deal with running this on my phone all the time or turning it off and on each time. I use player FM to download the stuff over Wifi at night so it is ready to go.

How do the controls below the screen function? Arrows, eject, etc. Does the Tune knob work anywhere except a radio app?

The eject button does nothing AFAIK. The arrows still control things in SYNC (while I have it connected.) Tune knob only tunes the tuner.
Doesn't this have an optical drive? Got to be a little used feature but was thinking it had one. I'll review the specs.

Would also like to see some video showing boot, backup cam, switching apps, navigation.

I can get a boot video at some point. Can't help with backup cam, but did some other videos a couple posts up.
Thanks.

It sounds like your SWC Voice button is still tied to Ford Sync. What does it
look like when you are interacting with sync? Just an overlay?

I'll get some pics or video of it. It's still tied to it, because I left the Module connected. This weekend I'll be testing without it.
Will be interesting to see when you do this. You may end up with a button panel on the dash that doesn't do anything and nonworking USB ports. I'm really curious how they seem to be getting the USB ports to work on two hosts.

Do both the Android OS and Sync have access to music on a UFD?

I don't know, I don't listen to music on USB drives.
Can you see a UFD mounted in android?

Wearing sunglasses?

My future isn't that bright, so I have no idea.

Lol. Some LCD screens are unusable with sunglasses.

Does the clock support AM/PM format?

Only 12 or 24 hour format. I'm not sure why anyone over the age of 7 would need to know if it's AM or PM from a clock.
Lol. Ok to be more specific: hh:mm not HH:mm :)

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like the site is back up again, kept going in and out for me all day.

randy_tho, I can answer one of those definitley: no optical drive. You can see it is definitely not there in the 3rd pic of the OP

For your other part about the connection, it should be very easy to get Tasker to handle that for you. On connecting to bluetooth -> turn on mobile hotspot which would then let you stream using the phone's connection. Found a XDA thread just to prove it does work.

And IDK if a Sprint SIM will work or not, but you could get a FreedomPOP plan for free. It's only half a gig, but that should be plenty for streaming while you're driving...except for if you go anywhere at all because then the signal will drop because its sprint!

randy_tho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've heard of tasker and would probably end up going that direction. Sprint is non-existent here.

Looks like the site is back up again, kept going in and out for me all day.

randy_tho, I can answer one of those definitley: no optical drive. You can see it is definitely not there in the 3rd pic of the OP

For your other part about the connection, it should be very easy to get Tasker to handle that for you. On connecting to bluetooth -> turn on mobile hotspot which would then let you stream using the phone's connection. Found a XDA thread just to prove it does work.

And IDK if a Sprint SIM will work or not, but you could get a FreedomPOP plan for free. It's only half a gig, but that should be plenty for streaming while you're driving...except for if you go anywhere at all because then the signal will drop because its sprint!

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
I'm confused is it just a blatant lie? the website also says the unit comes with 7.1.2 is it only the beta units that come with Marshmallow and production will be Nougat? I assume there will be no hardware differences from beta to production model, just software upgrades?
Sponsored