Sponsored

Roush Axle-back & X-Pipe sounds too raspy...

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
got my x on yesterday & its perfect. Car is louder than the h with resonators. At WOT sounds like an exotic sports car, cruising is a low rumble. If its too loud you're too old!
Sponsored

OP
OP
NorthernMuscle

NorthernMuscle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
...If its too loud you're too old!
That's a pretty childish thing to say lol

I like loud... We basically own the same car, (except it looks like you have the girl version, that changes gears for you :p ) with the same desire to mod the exhaust... we might just lead different lifestyles. If I were a 20-somthing little shit that wanted the douchebag meter to redline everytime I drove by, then I'd agree - there is no such thing as "too loud".

Reality is I'm a 39yr old businessman that chooses to drive this car purely for the fun of it, when I could just as easily be driving an E-coupe or something much more refined. In my case, there is such a thing as too loud, and if that makes me old, then I'm fine with the other perks being my age has ;P

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

I like loud... We basically own the same car, (except it looks like you have the girl version, that changes gears for you :p ) with the same desire to mod the exhaust... we might just lead different lifestyles. If I were a 20-somthing little shit that wanted the douchebag meter to redline everytime I drove by, then I'd agree - there is no such thing as "too loud".

Reality is I'm a 39yr old businessman that chooses to drive this car purely for the fun of it, when I could just as easily be driving an E-coupe or something much more refined. In my case, there is such a thing as too loud, and if that makes me old, then I'm fine with the other perks being my age has ;P

Nah. It isn't you, it's him. I'm 27 and don't appreciate my ears hurting from something that resembles nails on a chalkboard. Something could definitely be too loud. LTs, x-pipe, and roush axle backs are on the verge of making my ears bleed. I'd be curious to see what decibel rating I'm at. I may do that soon with my phone. There is a decibel app.

OP
OP
NorthernMuscle

NorthernMuscle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
...I'd be curious to see what decibel rating I'm at. I may do that soon with my phone. There is a decibel app.
I might too and compare. Remember to measure at a defined distance from the tailpipes, for instance 1 metre, or the db value won't mean much.

And like you sort of said, it's not just a pure "loudness" thing. It's too raspy. The generation that learned to drive on xboxes and play stations seem to like the sound more, referring to it as "European" or "high tech", but maybe that's just because it reminds them of their mom's TV speakers distorting.

I'm far from old, and have had crotch rockets that redline at 17,000 rpm, but I still prefer a little girth to the sound of a muscle car :)

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I might too and compare. Remember to measure at a defined distance from the tailpipes, for instance 1 metre, or the db value won't mean much.

And like you sort of said, it's not just a pure "loudness" thing. It's too raspy. The generation that learned to drive on xboxes and play stations seem to like the sound more, referring to it as "European" or "high tech", but maybe that's just because it reminds them of their mom's TV speakers distorting.

I'm far from old, and have had crotch rockets that redline at 17,000 rpm, but I still prefer a little girth to the sound of a muscle car :)
Go get those bottle resonators put in and be happy :)

Sponsored

morgande

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP Ingot Silver | 2013 Ford F150
No doubt about it: Roush axle-back + mid pipe is about the loudest setup you can get from an after-cat setup. CJ Pony said it was the loudest setup he heard on an S550, and that’s with stock exhaust manifolds, no headers.

I somewhat like this setup sound, even if it is a little raspy but it’s just too loud. My recommendation is def for an h-pipe over the X, as the h will reduce the rasp somewhat. The bottle resonators seem to be the trick to get this thing back to tolerable DB levels if you live and/or drive anywhere near a residential area. Now if you want just be “that guy” the go for what you know, but for most it’s just too loud.

JustaMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium

I also don't like too loud. IMO the 5.0 is not fast enough to justify an exhaust that you can hear from miles away. It just ruins it and neighbors/people just get angry and then you wonder why laws get put in place to restrict people from modifying their cars. Anywho, my Roush AB is in the mail and I'm seriously excited. I'll def. be keeping the stock resonators!

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase

I'm 44, retired Navy, IT Professional. My car is only really loud at WOT. I don't rev it or even drive hard. Was busting your chops.:D i prefer manuals until I had a 2000 Pontian Trans Am with Yank 3600 stall converter. :gossip:

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I'd be curious to see what decibel rating I'm at. I may do that soon with my phone. There is a decibel app.
I used a sound meter to measure the sound level in the cabin by placing it in the cup holder while I was driving with the windows down. I don’t remember the exact volume, but it was well over 100 dB. My car has Kooks green catted headers and a Borla S-type. I think it sounds great, but the volume is obnoxious. There’s no way in hell I’m going to be able to track my car at certain tracks without at least a resonator.

Reactions: Ebm

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
had the same set up and thought the same thing. put on a couple 12" vibrant straight thru resonators on and its has toned down the rasp and barely touches the volume but sounds 100x better

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

I used a sound meter to measure the sound level in the cabin by placing it in the cup holder while I was driving with the windows down. I don’t remember the exact volume, but it was well over 100 dB. My car has Kooks green catted headers and a Borla S-type. I think it sounds great, but the volume is obnoxious. There’s no way in hell I’m going to be able to track my car at certain tracks without at least a resonator.
I think I'll do this today to get a reading. I wouldn't doubt mine is at the decibel rating as yours. Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
NorthernMuscle

NorthernMuscle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
You guys suck... Now you have me looking at these Vibrant Resonators, when I thought I was done screwing around with the exhaust..

Listening to clips is also extremely frustrating, since nobody knows how to record sound properly, and even on great computer speakers most of it sounds bad. What's the downside to these resonators? I drop a few hundred $$ more, cut out pipe that I won't be able to easily swap back, and what will I get?

In taking away some of the raspiness, does it add any negative sound characteristics? One of the videos I heard they actually sounded more like the sound was in a bottle (for lack of better description). Does it just take the higher frequency out? What else?

OP
OP
NorthernMuscle

NorthernMuscle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Just for some closure on this thread, I ended up swapping the Roush x-pipe for a Mishimoto H-pipe and the sound is a "little" more what I was looking for, but as some mentioned above, it didn't make a huge difference, and is still a little too "raspy" and loud for my liking.

Just for perspective, I LOVE loud pipes, live out in the country, and know how to not be an asshole with the sound. That said, this car, with Roush axle backs, and no resonator is stupid loud for a daily driver. Most of the time it's all good, but if a cop were following me from a stop, or when firing it up first thing in the morning, I become very aware of it :)

If I had to put a number on the difference, I would say that 5-10% of the raspiness/harshness/trumpety/"high tech" sound/whatever you want to call it, was reduced by swapping the x-pipe for an h-pipe, and maybe <5% of the volume. Probably not worth the effort in most people's assessment, but I really wanted to see a straight A-B comparison (too bad I forgot to take some clips of before and after the swap...)

Even though I LOVED the Roush sound on my 08' and 10', next time around I think I'll try a different axle back, due to the sound of this engine...

Cheers.
I have a cheap option for you that will further eliminate the raspiness/harshness in the highend without altering the loudness or tone of your axle-back. Weld in a pair of Dynomax race mini bullet mufflers. They are tiny, 6-inches, but they'll clean out the raspiness/harshness in the highend. It made a very positive difference with my H-Pipe + no muffler setup. You can easily find a pair of the mufflers for $50.

289-24251.jpg

OP
OP
NorthernMuscle

NorthernMuscle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Go get those bottle resonators put in and be happy :)
Hey, I just noticed you have the Magnaflow Tru-X Resonated X-Pipe I was asking about right? Still think the inline bottles are best route, or just the easiest route?

Looks like we've got pretty similar tastes in other mods as well ;)
Sponsored