Reaction score
Website
www.j-w-racing.co.uk
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
S550 Magnetic Grey
Today we were mostly data logging for the latest map upgrades

Time will tell but hope to have cleared the hurdle that was holding the cars power back even with the big turbo conversion in place and ultimately hope we can wind our EB up towards the 430 - 450 mark in the coming days

the turbos good for 500hp but I'm not sure the engine would agree with that level of abuse so we will hold her back if we have to and then look to add the relevant internals before adding any more goodies

its all looking good though for some tidy figures in 2018!

cheers

Jason
Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase

Time will tell but hope to have cleared the hurdle that was holding the cars power back even with the big turbo conversion in place and ultimately hope we can wind our EB up towards the 430 - 450 mark in the coming days

the turbos good for 500hp but I'm not sure the engine would agree with that level of abuse so we will hold her back if we have to and then look to add the relevant internals before adding any more goodies

cheers

Jason
I assume you're talking 430-500 engine bhp rather than wheels? As the car craps out at 425w, even can crap out before, obviously you have the weak spot on the side of the block, the gasket, the rods, pistons, valve springs that all help push big turbo applications "that much further" then you start pissing in meth, NOS, E85 all that kinda good stuff for the huge power gains! Or so the americans tell us ;)!

JWR

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.j-w-racing.co.uk
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
S550 Magnetic Grey
I assume you're talking 430-500 engine bhp rather than wheels? As the car craps out at 425, even can crap out before, obviously you have the weak spot on the side of the block, the gasket, the rods, pistons, valve springs that all help push big turbo applications "that much further" then you start pissing in meth, NOS, E85 all that kinda good stuff for the huge power gains! Or so the americans tell us ;)!
yes talking crank power here

the 425 you refer to are you talking wheel power or crank ?

any figures referred to are only relevant to the place they were tested as different dynos give out different figures , whether measured at the wheels , the hubs or a calculated crank figure

our car stopped making power at about 410hp at the crank , on another dyno this may have been a higher figure who knows but that's what we see based on our hub figures and assessed losses between hub and crank , we have a lot more goodies to go on the car but it should be capable of making more power with the parts it currently has installed but it was being held back

now we think we have overcome that hurdle I don't want to push too far before internal work progresses , we have always advised people with the old Mk2 Focus RS 450hp + Forge the engine. That was a great 5cyl engine so I certainly don't want to risk a 4cyl at any more than that regardless as to whether anyone else thinks it may take it

haver yet to study ways of strengthening the block (if any is possible) but of course we will upgrade , rods , pistons , head gasket , head bolts etc. as a minimum requirement

the head would come later , likely improve valve springs etc when we change the cams

cheers

Jason :)

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
yes talking crank power here

the 425 you refer to are you talking wheel power or crank ?

any figures referred to are only relevant to the place they were tested as different dynos give out different figures , whether measured at the wheels , the hubs or a calculated crank figure

our car stopped making power at about 410hp at the crank , on another dyno this may have been a higher figure who knows but that's what we see based on our hub figures and assessed losses between hub and crank , we have a lot more goodies to go on the car but it should be capable of making more power with the parts it currently has installed but it was being held back

now we think we have overcome that hurdle I don't want to push too far before internal work progresses , we have always advised people with the old Mk2 Focus RS 450hp + Forge the engine. That was a great 5cyl engine so I certainly don't want to risk a 4cyl at any more than that regardless as to whether anyone else thinks it may take it

haver yet to study ways of strengthening the block (if any is possible) but of course we will upgrade , rods , pistons , head gasket , head bolts etc. as a minimum requirement

the head would come later , likely improve valve springs etc when we change the cams

cheers

Wheels sorry*, i did change it to "425W" but you must have quoted before that :p!
Sounds good, what do you think is the limiting factor for power currently then? HPFP? Fuel rails/injectors?

yeah different dynos measure differently, the quoted 425 is from a hub dyno.

JWR

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.j-w-racing.co.uk
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
S550 Magnetic Grey
Wheels sorry*, i did change it to "425W" but you must have quoted before that :p!
Sounds good, what do you think is the limiting factor for power currently then? HPFP? Fuel rails/injectors?

yeah different dynos measure differently, the quoted 425 is from a hub dyno.
I'm not sure id go as far as 425 at the hubs before doing internals but its a matter of opinion and its not that far off of where I'm aiming I guess

the HPFP is a big issue and a big ticket item to get people where they want to be, the Focus RS is likely to have the same issue as well

there are injectors available but they don't really help unless the pump is done , weve gone back to stock injectors for now , when they run out of puff we will look at using the hi flow ones again

cheers

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure id go as far as 425 at the hubs before doing internals but its a matter of opinion and its not that far off of where I'm aiming I guess

the HPFP is a big issue and a big ticket item to get people where they want to be, the Focus RS is likely to have the same issue as well

there are injectors available but they don't really help unless the pump is done , weve gone back to stock injectors for now , when they run out of puff we will look at using the hi flow ones again

cheers

Yeah i'd heard whispers of the HPFP being a limiting facotr for big boosted applications, either it failing or just being inconsistent with supply. That said, it's a relatively expensive fix from what i've seen :eyebulge:

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast

cheers

Jason
[MENTION=22085]JWR[/MENTION] the figures you are going after are on pump gas? According to Adam, the engine will start knocking at around 380whp on pump gas and as Steve said it will start crapping out at around 425whp. Very interested in your findings. I would love to be able to find a kit in the market that includes an upgraded turbo (Precision seems to be a very good choice) + necessary internals + tune.

Please keep us posted. Do you mind me asking to post this in the European section as well, as I am in this thread only occasionally?

sheps5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Deep impact blue 2015 GT
Whacked her on the dyno finally yesterday. Thoroughly happy with the results and just about correct for the mods I've doe. Which are Steeda CAI, catless long tubes, straight through exhaust with muffler delete and a Lund tune. Had the graphs explained to me today as I didn't really understand what's what on it and everything looks cushty so chuffed to bits. 481bhp and 474lb/ft of torque. Oh and my ears are now fooked! :lol:

[ame]https://vimeo.com/254182262[/ame]
[ame]https://vimeo.com/254182183[/ame]

JWR

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.j-w-racing.co.uk
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
S550 Magnetic Grey
Yeah i'd heard whispers of the HPFP being a limiting facotr for big boosted applications, either it failing or just being inconsistent with supply. That said, it's a relatively expensive fix from what i've seen :eyebulge:
yes , very expensive fix :eyebulge:

Sponsored

JWR

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.j-w-racing.co.uk
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
S550 Magnetic Grey
[MENTION=22085]JWR[/MENTION] the figures you are going after are on pump gas? According to Adam, the engine will start knocking at around 380whp on pump gas and as Steve said it will start crapping out at around 425whp. Very interested in your findings. I would love to be able to find a kit in the market that includes an upgraded turbo (Precision seems to be a very good choice) + necessary internals + tune.

Please keep us posted. Do you mind me asking to post this in the European section as well, as I am in this thread only occasionally?
no problem in posting our info wherever you want to :D

we are currently running on 'pump gas' , either Shell Nitro or Tesco 99

I'm extremely cautious about what any of the US tuners tell me , of course we respect them and they are still the best source for tuning the Mustang EB but many of them just cant help themselves with overblown claims (or at least not elaborating on how they achieve their results)

the setup we have on our car was a kit that a certain US tuner had big involvement with , working closely with the turbo manufacturer and making the software to suit. Between them claims of 450 - 475 engine power from the kit were thrown about but in reality we never saw anything near that.

We know the turbo can reach 500hp so that not a factor in why its not making it, for some reason you just cant extract any info from the US as to why their claims are so high or why the same car with the same kit is way down here in the UK

Eventual prodding and checking suggest that in many case the US boys are using E30 or E85 fuel to achieve their gains , whether that would show a 40 - 60hp gain I'm not so sure but it may explain some of the difference

We could put rocket fuel in our car but that's not the point, we are trying to build a car that produces the right results in full road going trim and with fuel I can buy in most towns!

We are close to dyno testing the car again and will see if this latest mod pushes us a little closer to where we want to be

cheers

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
no problem in posting our info wherever you want to :D

we are currently running on 'pump gas' , either Shell Nitro or Tesco 99

I'm extremely cautious about what any of the US tuners tell me , of course we respect them and they are still the best source for tuning the Mustang EB but many of them just cant help themselves with overblown claims (or at least not elaborating on how they achieve their results)

the setup we have on our car was a kit that a certain US tuner had big involvement with , working closely with the turbo manufacturer and making the software to suit. Between them claims of 450 - 475 engine power from the kit were thrown about but in reality we never saw anything near that.

We know the turbo can reach 500hp so that not a factor in why its not making it, for some reason you just cant extract any info from the US as to why their claims are so high or why the same car with the same kit is way down here in the UK

Eventual prodding and checking suggest that in many case the US boys are using E30 or E85 fuel to achieve their gains , whether that would show a 40 - 60hp gain I'm not so sure but it may explain some of the difference

We could put rocket fuel in our car but that's not the point, we are trying to build a car that produces the right results in full road going trim and with fuel I can buy in most towns!

We are close to dyno testing the car again and will see if this latest mod pushes us a little closer to where we want to be

cheers

As you rightly say, most of America quotes their "fbo" or turbo non block upgraded figures are with e30/85. I had the same issue with them when I posted my dyno results. E30/E85 seems to do wonders on this platform, however it has a bit of a pig of the time with some components, part of the unfortunate side effects of modding, is one mod then creates another. :frusty:

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Dropped mine off again @ Think Ford Guildford for round 2 of the wet carpet saga. Got the new Fiesta as a courtesy car, very nice indeed :)

JWR

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.j-w-racing.co.uk
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
S550 Magnetic Grey
As you rightly say, most of America quotes their "fbo" or turbo non block upgraded figures are with e30/85. I had the same issue with them when I posted my dyno results. E30/E85 seems to do wonders on this platform, however it has a bit of a pig of the time with some components, part of the unfortunate side effects of modding, is one mod then creates another. :frusty:
we will just carry on tuning on normal fuel , its the best way forward until the UK starts selling E30 / E85 on a decent scale

will do a video of the next dyno run and post the results when we have them

cheers

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
we will just carry on tuning on normal fuel , its the best way forward until the UK starts selling E30 / E85 on a decent scale

will do a video of the next dyno run and post the results when we have them

cheers

Sounds good, all your runs have been on the same dyno haven't they (Rookie sh1t) so can see each "Jump" in power per mod.

I'm running a few logs tonight on my HPFP and LPF to see if they're stuttering under power, and therefore holding some power back from the car. But at a cÂŁ2k fix, I could just get a turbo.

Which turbo are you currently running? As the TN drop in one seems Best in slot for stock motors / FBO applications with "large turbo"s needing new flanges, downpipes, other pipes the whole shebang, along with a new block before the block bangs too :p!
Sponsored