Sponsored

MT Head 2 Head - 2018 Camaro SS 1LE vs 2018 Mustang GT

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Having owned a 1SS for a little while before it blew up and Chevy bought it back and refunded my $ and now having a '15 GT, I can tell you that the differences weren't that great.

Mine is Whippled so considerably quicker than my 1SS but test drove a few stock '17 PP Mustangs. The SS is faster but only slightly. The most noticeable difference is the power down low.

However the Camaro visibility in the rear is horrible. The cabin is also really cramped with the windshield in your face. And reliability on the Camaro has been pretty bad. All cars have issues but what you see on the Camaro board is......bad. Lots of broad issues.

The Mustang is definitely more livable and pleasant to pilot day to day and the performance difference isn't that substantial IMO.
I've owned both as well and difference is clearly more than slightly stock vs stock, especially as the speeds increase.
Just look at the 0-100 and 0-150..
My camaro's acceleration actually thrills me at times. I never felt that way in my 5.0, even when tuned.

C/D TEST
RESULTS
ACCELERATION
0–30 MPH 1.6 sec 1.7 sec
0–60 MPH 3.9 sec 4.4 sec
0–100 MPH 8.9 sec 10.5 sec
0–150 MPH 25.1 sec 29.0 sec
ÂĽ-MILE @ MPH 12.3 sec @ 116 13.0 sec @ 112
ROLLING START, 5–60 MPH 4.0 sec 4.8 sec
Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
All this talk about pushing these cars to their limits is not the real world. A relative of mine sells Camaros in Red Lion, PA at a Chevrolet dealer. He brought home a '17 2SS a few months ago and brought it over here to my house. He wanted me to drive it and go for a ride in my '15 GT which at the time only had lowering springs and a resonator delete.

The 2SS was a cool car and I liked a lot about it, but the GT is SO much more practical and easy to live with. I kind of talked up the SS more than I felt just to make him feel good about bringing it over. He wasn't trying to sell me a car, but his exact words to me after I complimented the SS were, ''Bro, I'd take that GT any day over one of these''. That's a true story and although I liked the 2SS, it had a punishing ride especially on these rural back roads and was horrendous to see out of compared to the GT. The interior was nice, but reminded me of something I can't explain, maybe toy like, but quality on both cars seemed about equal.

It comes down to one thought for me. If you want all out performance, other things are going to suffer. I don't drive like a maniac but every now and then, for the most part I just want to be comfortable and enjoy the ride and when I do get on it, my car scoots just fine. Will be installing a tune here very soon and that will be a nice bump for my '15 GT.
They're GTs. Grand Tourers. I just drove back and forth to Houston TX., and the drive was a joy. Very comfortable, quiet, controlled, powerful, easy, calm.

Space, pace and grace.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
I've owned both as well and difference is clearly more than slightly stock vs stock, especially as the speeds increase.
Just look at the 0-100 and 0-150..
My camaro's acceleration actually thrills me at times. I never felt that way in my 5.0, even when tuned.

C/D TEST
RESULTS
ACCELERATION
0–30 MPH 1.6 sec 1.7 sec
0–60 MPH 3.9 sec 4.4 sec
0–100 MPH 8.9 sec 10.5 sec
0–150 MPH 25.1 sec 29.0 sec
ÂĽ-MILE @ MPH 12.3 sec @ 116 13.0 sec @ 112
ROLLING START, 5–60 MPH 4.0 sec 4.8 sec
Good job picking an old test and pretending it's still relevant.

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good job picking an old test and pretending it's still relevant.
It's relevant to what Nomadic said(comparing the 15-17 GT to the 6gen SS). Saying there is only a slight difference there is kidding yourself.

Need more data for the overall 6gen SS vs 18 GT conclusion.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
It's relevant to what Nomadic said(comparing the 15-17 GT to the 6gen SS). Saying there is only a slight difference there is kidding yourself.

Need more data for the overall 6gen SS vs 18 GT conclusion.
Here are the 18 manual numbers from C&D's instrumented test. The 10 speed auto will be noticeably faster:

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 4.3 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 9.7 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 16.4 sec
Zero to 150 mph: 23.0 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 5.1 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 10.7 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 9.6 sec
Standing ÂĽ-mile: 12.6 sec @ 115 mph
Top speed (governor limited, mfr's claim): 155 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 164 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.96 g

Beacuse Ford offers performance upgrades and lets you keep your warranty I suspect the differences will be much closer.

Sponsored

16 GT MM/Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
How does one steal that which is given to them?
Its called using an illustration to make a point, easy enough to understand.

The "stealing" occurred when the engine came from another model. The equivalent would be if the GT's engine was "stolen" from the GT 350.

See?

This is not my quote, this is what they said in the review. It doesn't matter what the goal was, what matters is the GT PP went against the Camaro 1LE and it lost. The reviewer offered his opinion as to why it lost and he said "too much GT in the GT".

Now, to your point I have no doubt in my mind this was by design from Ford. However, everyone knows the GT PP leaves room on the table when it comes to its handling. There is room for improvement. Ford should make the PP more akin to what it offers in its track/handling packages than what it offers stock. Maybe it would have done better in this test. For now, we will have to wait for PP2.
You used, accept it. What matters is that a regular PP went against a 1LE and you don't comprehend the problem with that.

Now, to your point. The fact that a car can be "improved" is moot as everyone knows a manufacturer will produce a vehicle that their buyers want and would then invariably sell (take note Chevy). So the regular PP was made for a specific reason, and the PP2 for another.

For now, we will have to wait for the PP2.

... Just look at the 0-100 and 0-150..
My camaro's acceleration actually thrills me at times. I never felt that way in my 5.0 ...
Just look at the '18 GT's numbers ...

C/D TEST RESULTS
16 SS manual/18 GT manual
0-60 mph: 4.0/4.3 sec
5-60 mph: 4.8/5.1 sec
ÂĽ-mile: 12.3 @ 118/12.6 sec @ 115 mph

Now that the GT is within a few tenths of the SS, the "thrill" is there for GT owners as well. And as with previous Mustangs, you can still actually see out of it without making use of BLIS.

Ain't motoring grand!

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here are the 18 manual numbers from C&D's instrumented test. The 10 speed auto will be noticeably faster:

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 4.3 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 9.7 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 16.4 sec
Zero to 150 mph: 23.0 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 5.1 sec

Top gear, 30-50 mph: 10.7 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 9.6 sec
Standing ÂĽ-mile: 12.6 sec @ 115 mph
Top speed (governor limited, mfr's claim): 155 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 164 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.96 g

Beacuse Ford offers performance upgrades and lets you keep your warranty I suspect the differences will be much closer.
Different day different test. I'm not convinced the 18 gt manual is quicker than the SS. The 10A GT does seem to have edge however, especially in the 1/4 mile.

Just look at the '18 GT's numbers ...

C/D TEST RESULTS
16 SS manual/18 GT manual
0-60 mph: 4.0/4.3 sec
5-60 mph: 4.8/5.1 sec
ÂĽ-mile: 12.3 @ 118/12.6 sec @ 115 mph

Now that the GT is within a few tenths of the SS, the "thrill" is there for GT owners as well. And as with previous Mustangs, you can still actually see out of it without making use of BLIS.

Ain't motoring grand!
Yup I like what they did with the 18 GT. The thrill should now be similar.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Different day different test. I'm not convinced the 18 gt manual is quicker than the SS. The 10A GT does seem to have edge however, especially in the 1/4 mile.
I never said it was quicker but the gap is closer and your a Ford warranty backed tune and upgrade from probably beating it.

Personally I don't really care if the Mustang is a hair slower, I prefer the looks and much more functional interior the car offers.

90%+ of the time I will be commuting to work and running errands. Chevy clearly focused on performance and handling with the 6th gen Camaro and did an awesome job. Where I think they missed the ball was exterior styling and overall functionality. I'm in my mid 40's and that stuff matters to me vs when I was younger with nobody else riding in the car with me.

Reactions: 113

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I never said it was quicker but the gap is closer and your a Ford warranty backed tune and upgrade from probably beating it.

Personally I don't really care if the Mustang is a hair slower, I prefer the looks and much more functional interior the car offers.

90%+ of the time I will be commuting to work and running errands. Chevy clearly focused on performance and handling with the 6th gen Camaro and did an awesome job. Where I think they missed the ball was exterior styling and overall functionality. I'm in my mid 40's and that stuff matters to me vs when I was younger with nobody else riding in the car with me.
I'm not aware of a warranty backed tune for the 18GT as of yet :shrug:

Looks are subjective and I feel they both look great.
I commute 80 miles a day in my 2SS and it's a lot more comfortable than my 15' base GT was. The GT seats actually hurt my back.
Visibility hasn't been an issue for me personally but I can see how its not for everyone.

gmlt1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
Fast street cars
MotorTrend and the rest of Ten will never change.
1LE vs a GT?
Why not a regular SS vs a GT?
Will there be a 1LE vs GT PP2?
You can bet that Hot Rod and the like will push this as a pro chevy victory to no end!
Where is the shame?

Because a base SS will beat a base GT. The GT tested is a PP1, the SS has the 1LE

Sponsored

xDUMPWEEDx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP (Base/Oxford White)
Because a base SS will beat a base GT. The GT tested is a PP1, the SS has the 1LE
Correct.
GT has no direct competition with the Camaro.
GT PP competes against the base SS.
GT PP2 competes against the SS 1LE.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
“The GTPP1 compares to the base SS”

Aka

“I need to stack the comparison so the Ford won’t lose”.

Come on guys, be straight on this and don’t go into the changing the conditions of the test bullshit that Camaro6 does, we’re better than that

Syphon23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Corvette
Correct.
GT has no direct competition with the Camaro.
GT PP competes against the base SS.
GT PP2 competes against the SS 1LE.
This is a battle of track packs..Chevy's best vs Fords best... Ford lost.. deal with it and stop making dumb excuses.

Ford needs to drop this dumb PP1 and PP2 and who knows if they make a PP3.. Just make one damn PP and make it good.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
This is a battle of track packs..Chevy's best vs Fords best... Ford lost.. deal with it and stop making dumb excuses.

Ford needs to drop this dumb PP1 and PP2 and who knows if they make a PP3.. Just make one damn PP and make it good.
I disagree. I am one of those people who want PP1 but not PP2. Cup2 tires suck for daily driving and the new Sport 4s tires are a perfect mix for daily driving (summer) and occasional track.

Now what Ford could do is just make PP1 standard on all Mustang GT's but then the prices would be much higher and lots of people would be upset because they want all seasons and they won't ever need Brembos or a former suspension. Or they would get priced out of buying a new GT.

I don't think the test was unfair, this is what Motortrend had available, but I do agree that PP2 vs 1LE and PP1 vs SS is the best comapriosom. I'm sure we will get it soon because Mustang vs Camaro head to head = tons of hits for Motortrend, etc.

xDUMPWEEDx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP (Base/Oxford White)
giphy.gif

PP1 isn't Ford's best. PP1 is also significantly cheaper than the 1LE.
Sponsored