GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
Direct injection pump runs off camshaft?? Even more strain on the crank sprocket???

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0

Sponsored

Blue Horse

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Direct injection pump runs off camshaft?? Even more strain on the crank sprocket???
Pretty soon there will be another RECALL,crank sprocket will end up just like the half shafts,bang and in pieces.:doh:

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Gears need to be fixed.
Rods look weak for boosted applications.
The fact that upgraded opg and timing gears aren't offered in a performance pack is beyond me. That's just extra profits left on the table for the aftermarket to capitalize on. The rods are actually stronger than those of the second gen.

I wonder how the, for lack of a better term, "spray-in-liners" on the cylinders will hold up on boosted applications?

My guess is, not very well. Will this be the Achilles heel of the 2018 Coyote engine for boost loving peeps? There is no way I would run this engine with any boosted application without sending the block out to have it sleeved.

That block is only as strong as the cylinder liners, and quite frankly, those scare the schiznit outta me. Time will tell.
You couldn't be more wrong. The spray in lines are actually significantly stronger than sleeves. They also allow more room for cooling around the cylinders.

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
The fact that upgraded opg and timing gears aren't offered in a performance pack is beyond me. That's just extra profits left on the table for the aftermarket to capitalize on. The rods are actually stronger than those of the second gen.

You couldn't be more wrong. The spray in lines are actually significantly stronger than sleeves. They also allow more room for cooling around the cylinders.
That's what MMR is for.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=10628]Mod Mustang Racing[/MENTION] any pics of the intake? If not, opinions on it? Heard it was a cross between genII intake and the voodoo intake. Also, you think it would work on the genII? Thank you.

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
I wonder how the, for lack of a better term, "spray-in-liners" on the cylinders will hold up on boosted applications?

My guess is, not very well. Will this be the Achilles heel of the 2018 Coyote engine for boost loving peeps? There is no way I would run this engine with any boosted application without sending the block out to have it sleeved.

That block is only as strong as the cylinder liners, and quite frankly, those scare the schiznit outta me. Time will tell.
You do know that the Plasma Transfer Wire Arc (PTWA) process was used in the supercharged '11-'14 GT500 cars, right? ...and that Nissan pays a license to use it in the GTR engine as well?

Your fears are groundless.

Sponsored

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
If I recall it's the same liners used in the 2013-2014 GT500 and 2015+ GT350. So considering the fact it's been used in a boosted application from the same manufacturer it should be fine for boosted applications.
I watched a video recently in which a senior FORD engineer talked about the "spray in liners" and of how they were new to the third gen Coyote motors. Also, the pics showing the bores of the gen 3 above clearly indicate the liners, if we can even call them that, are paper thin at best, and much, much thinner than the gen 2 Coyote engines.

I could be way, way wrong. I am not an engineer but I have worked on a bunch of Japanese motorcycle engines with Nikasil cylinder bore coatings, and the pics above look just like a Nikasil cylinder coating and not an actual steel sleeve that has been pressed into an aluminum block.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
A small company developed that plasma arc transfer technology. Ford bought it and figured out how to apply it to a cylinder wall. It was originally only able to be applied to a flat surface.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Hmmm, that injection system looks familiar.
Sponsored