Sponsored

Finally Got to See One In Person (Exterior Feedback)

HeavyMetalMonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2018 GT Premium PP/MR
He's in Canada... that's 85 kilometers per hour lol
In Canada more fear of hitting moose then cops
I've driven from Calgary to Edmonton more then a few times : )
Yeah I've been to Edmonton too. Nice place to train with the Canadian Army...which means it's not a great place for much else :lol:
Sponsored

HeavyMetalMonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2018 GT Premium PP/MR
Agree. The only thing I don't like about the 18 is the view looking over the hood from inside car... too flat

Other then that I can't tell that much of a difference between the 2 honestly.
The big thing I notice is the triangle shapes on the corners- it's not good or bad to me, it just is. The complaint about the droopy hood never made sense to me, it's way too subtle IMO.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Who's bragging? Just stating a simple fact that cops don't care if you go 80-85 generally. It's not bragging...just discussion.

Yes, we all get that you're super duper cool. I don't have mugshots but I have some video of some airborne ops out of an MV-22 Osprey. Can I be cool like you too? ;)

I’m not cool. That’s the point. We are all the same. You guys now live in a world where everything you do is recorded. Add driverless cars and road traffic will be chocked for any spirited driving. Add the push to eliminate gas engines in two decades and the traditional sports car is gone. I feel for you guys. Trust me on that !

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
The front of the 2018 look a bit more aggressive to me. I didn't like it in pictures but when I saw it I was like "ooooh....ok well that's not bad".

Sponsored

16 GT MM/Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
Is there any point in providing a useless opinion on something that is considered purely subjective
You mean something useless like your subjective opinion of other people's subjective opinions?

aspensilver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2006 MBenz SLK55 AMG - '97 BMW 540I - 2010 Audi S4
It seems that 82 is about the magic number in a 65 zone. I was going about 80 one day and there's a stretch in LA on I-5 that drops to 55. So 80 in a 55. I got pulled over and let go with a warning.

80-82 in a 65 and cops don't even look twice. The stretch of I-5 north of LA where it's 70, 80-90 is pretty standard.
Yup, they'll let you float a little over 80.
On I5 once you're out of the LA or SFbay area, you can go 85 and never get pulled over. 90 sometimes but only if you're in a long line.

Whenever I visit family in Ohio I'm always shocked at how grandma the driving is. Here in California if you're 5 over you're going slow 5-10 over is normal, e.g. 30-35 in a 25, fast would be 40+. You might even get honked at going the speed limit.

A few of the only good things about this god forsaken state.
Odd, besides the taxes I love California. I wouldn't choose any other state.

Yeah but CA < pretty much anywhere else in the US. If the whole state was just one big national park, then it'd be cool.
Must be a bit hyperbolic, places like Nevada are 90% awful desert with nothing around.

I like nature, ocean, good weather, winding back roads. I don't think another state has it all like California. Maybe Oregon or Virginia, but the weather isn't as good, or the food variety.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I stopped at my local Ford dealership today and they had 2 2018's next to a 2017. I did a careful inspection of the 2018 from front to back. I'm sorry but I still don't like it....
1. the black glossy grill in the front looks really bad.. cheap and does not match the rest of the plastics
2. the bonnet style bulging hood and open vents just don't look right. the hood on the 17's has the classic muscle car look. also not a fan of the hood line that curves outward toward the ends of the windshield.
3. I prefer the straight lined tri-bar taillights vs the angled look. The tribar tailights on the 2015-17 finally got that part right.
4. The accents lines in the trunk deck lid does nothing but add busyness. The original design was simple but elegant.
My 17 year old son who is NOT a car guy.. (he's into music and art), made these observations before i verbally said anything. He went back and forth between the 17 and 18 and noted each design change..every time he preferred the 17. I know, I know.... everyone has their opinion.. My frustration with these mid-cycle refreshes is that they are similar to Microsoft coming out with a new version of windows or Apple creating a "new" iphone each year. Instead of messing with the exterior design and changing things just for the sake of change--why not focus on improving the internals where it really counts? I think the performance improvements (engine, shifter, exhaust, and even interior quality) are just killer on the 2018's They fixed just about every gripe I had with mine. But why couldn't they just leave the exterior design well enough alone? If the body design were the same I would be tempted to trade in my 2016... but at this point I would rather mod what I have vs buying the new 2018 design.

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
I stopped at my local Ford dealership today and they had 2 2018's next to a 2017. I did a careful inspection of the 2018 from front to back. I'm sorry but I still don't like it....
1. the black glossy grill in the front looks really bad.. cheap and does not match
2. the bonnet style hood and open vents just don't look right
3. I prefer the straight lined tri-bar taillights vs the angled look.
4. The accents lines in the trunk deck lid does nothing but add busyness.
My 17 year old son who is NOT a car guy.. (he's into music and art), made these observations before i verbally said anything. He went back and forth between the 17 and 18 and noted each design change..every time he preferred the 17. I know, I know.... everyone has their opinion.. My frustration with these mid-cycle refreshes is that they are similar to Microsoft coming out with a new version of windows or Apple creating a "new" iphone each year. Instead of messing with the exterior design and changing things just for the sake of being able to present the buying public with something "new"---why not just focus on improving the internals where it really counts? I think the performance improvements (engine, shifter, exhaust, interior quality) are just killer on the 2018's They fixed just about every gripe I had with mine. But why couldn't they just leave the exterior design well enough alone? If the body design were the same I would be tempted to trade in my 2016... but I would rather mod what I have vs buying the new design.
While I partially agree, it’s worth noting there’s a bias as we are 2015-2017 owners. Therefore, we tend to rationalize why ours is better so that we don’t Have to pay to upgrade. I’m sure many people and obviously Ford internally agreed on the new look before they changed it.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
While I partially agree, it’s worth noting there’s a bias as we are 2015-2017 owners. Therefore, we tend to rationalize why ours is better so that we don’t Have to pay to upgrade. I’m sure many people and obviously Ford internally agreed on the new look before they changed it.

There are some misssteps from classical esthetic design but these were made for pedestrian safety or former visability gripes. Though that hood line has appeared in a few other non-Mustang models. I saw an 18 from behind this weekend at night and the curvy tail lights really do make the Mustang less obvious. The straight tribar was unmistakably Mustang and everyone knew you were driving a Mustang. It’s still there now but not so “in your face”; same with the front tribars simple and sort of like rank insignia as it is just decorative. People who have upgraded still like the old design but the 2018 GT does have its charms as in better performance.

It’s acceptable but not better and more change for change sake than anything else. I like the fact an art student critiqued the changes as I agree. The best design is a ground up redesign and this is a refresh. Everyone keeps telling me that it wil grow on me - nope. But we are really nitpicking here as fans. I have rendered judgement on other Mustangs I did not own and the refreshes are usually problematic. Just a reason to buy a newer model. A marketing gimmick.

Sponsored

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I know there are some people out there who are putting down the 2018 look to justify their purchase, but I am definitely not one of them. I absolutely loved the look of the Mustangs through the 60's and 70's... then they started morphing the car into something that did NOT look like a Mustang. Finally in 2005 they came to their senses and brought back the retro look, which I was not exactly crazy about but it was a vast improvement to what they did to the car for 2 decades.... But I still didn't think it was quite "right" yet. Then they did the refresh in 2010 which was getting much better... then all of a sudden they started messing with the front end again and did hideous stuff with the tri-bar taillights. It was almost like watching a bunch of kids with one marker stealing if from each other and trying a new design... then 2015 hit and wow... they nailed it. I guess the 2018 changes to the cosmetics are just too wholesale for me.---- It's almost like design engineer 1 said: "look guys, in order to continue to sell these cars we have to mix it up, make it look different... ...another design engineer (#2) says: "Why?"... the designer #1 says, "because"... the 2nd says: "because why?".....designer #1 says "I don't know why... just because.. it's the thing to do... apple does it, microsoft does it... everyone does it so we have to too... 2nd designer says.. but people really like this look.. can't we just tweak it a little... maybe add dual exhaust and lower the hood a bit but keep the same hood design? designer#1: no, no, no that just won't do ...it has to be radically different! exciting! we gotta create buzz around it! hire Duane Johnson to promote it.. etc. etc... Some people really like it and a lot of people like the increased performance. I guess I am just not a person who likes change for change sake.....That is why when I find something I like I stick with it....

sbrenskell

Waiting for OF
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stacie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Gt Premium FB Orange fury
Vehicle Showcase
I personally love the look of the 18s. It looks meaner. You see it coming up behind you and it just looks mean. I also love the back end they made it look better.

26685677_10155200344388730_4887040109205907567_o.jpg

And I love the PP spoiler it just adds some oomph to the back end. But I am pretty biased since I own this car. But my dad drove it the night I picked it up and he gave me a thumbs up.
26841048_10155209466008730_7436236487337092360_o.jpg

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I personally love the look of the 18s. It looks meaner. You see it coming up behind you and it just looks mean. I also love the back end they made it look better.

26685677_10155200344388730_4887040109205907567_o.jpg

And I love the PP spoiler it just adds some oomph to the back end. But I am pretty biased since I own this car. But my dad drove it the night I picked it up and he gave me a thumbs up.
I will say that one of the 2018's we saw in the car lot was Orange Fury with a black roof and that color looked killer! even better than competition orange...

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
I know there are some people out there who are putting down the 2018 look to justify their purchase, but I am definitely not one of them. I absolutely loved the look of the Mustangs through the 60's and 70's... then they started morphing the car into something that did NOT look like a Mustang. Finally in 2005 they came to their senses and brought back the retro look, which I was not exactly crazy about but it was a vast improvement to what they did to the car for 2 decades.... But I still didn't think it was quite "right" yet. Then they did the refresh in 2010 which was getting much better... then all of a sudden they started messing with the front end again and did hideous stuff with the tri-bar taillights. It was almost like watching a bunch of kids with one marker stealing if from each other and trying a new design... then 2015 hit and wow... they nailed it. I guess the 2018 changes to the cosmetics are just too wholesale for me.---- It's almost like design engineer 1 said: "look guys, in order to continue to sell these cars we have to mix it up, make it look different... ...another design engineer (#2) says: "Why?"... the designer #1 says, "because"... the 2nd says: "because why?".....designer #1 says "I don't know why... just because.. it's the thing to do... apple does it, microsoft does it... everyone does it so we have to too... 2nd designer says.. but people really like this look.. can't we just tweak it a little... maybe add dual exhaust and lower the hood a bit but keep the same hood design? designer#1: no, no, no that just won't do ...it has to be radically different! exciting! we gotta create buzz around it! hire Duane Johnson to promote it.. etc. etc... Some people really like it and a lot of people like the increased performance. I guess I am just not a person who likes change for change sake.....That is why when I find something I like I stick with it....
I actually think the best looking stang after the 60s-70s era was the s197s.
Sponsored