Sponsored

BMR's "CB005" S550 IRS Cradle Bushing Lockout Kit - PICS & INFO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
We have 4 different Vertical Link offerings. The only one that has been inconsistent with noises would be the Delrin bushing ones, which we've revised to help eliminate that.

We sell thousands of vertical links and the amount of customers I assist with NVH issues is extremely low compared to the amount we ship.

Next sale is in November. ;)
What's the major difference in between the Poly links and the spherical bearing links wheel hop wise?

I understand for pure performance applications, your going to give up NHV and comfort for the sake of performance, so the delrin links would be the way to go, but how much am I giving up over the delrin if I went Poly? Race cars are meant to do one thing, go as fast as possible around the track or down the strip. NHV is a non-concern. But my GT PP does more often what it's name sake implies, Grand Touring, so high increases in NVH are a no go for me. That was one thing I HATED about my Ecoboost Mustang. That 2.3 TDI engine was so darn clanky and coarse feeling compared to the Coyote 5.0, which just purrs smoothly all the time...half the time I thought it was going to blow up in my face lol (never did, but makes the car less enjoyable to drive).

I see you offer Poly vertical links for 1/2 the price of the delrin ones. I was thinking this might be a good compromise on the vertical links over the factory ones for a street car.

I have a 2016 Ruby Red PP GT now (gotta update my sig still from the 2016 Ecoboost I had). But it's nearly bone stock save the Corsa Cat Back it came with, window tint and my RTR Tech 7 flow formed wheels I kept from the EB.

Given the rather substantial bump in power, I don't feel the engine is the first place to look on a PP GT, but rather the suspension to best make use of what's already there.

I'm looking to address the biggest culprits of wheel hop other than the diff bushings. I did poly bushings on the EB, NEVER again on a street car. As I said before, it sounded like a bowling ball was rolling around in the trunk. Just not acceptable for a daily driven street car, so that leaves the IRS.

TCA048 - Vertical Links, Rear Lower Control Arms, Polyurethane Bushings: https://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=1846&superpro=0

Also I see three different types of Delrin links, two is spherical bearings, one without delrin inserts: https://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&vehicleid=24&maincatid=113&catid=416

What are the applications of each? I am presently leaning towards the Poly ones for $99 as it's a street car that sees occasional drag and somewhat frequent Auto X (which I enjoy much more than drag most of the time). The rear end of a PP car is what needs all the work, the front end already has spherical bearings on all the linkages save the strut mount and the solid rubber on the main rear link where it attaches to the chassis (but given it's a solid rubber core there's little give). The front end on these cars feels laser precise from the factory, the back end is a whole new ball game of nothingness and squishy hippie love....
Sponsored

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
What's the major difference in between the Poly links and the spherical bearing links wheel hop wise?

I understand for pure performance applications, your going to give up NHV and comfort for the sake of performance, so the delrin links would be the way to go, but how much am I giving up over the delrin if I went Poly? Race cars are meant to do one thing, go as fast as possible around the track or down the strip. NHV is a non-concern. But my GT PP does more often what it's name sake implies, Grand Touring, so high increases in NVH are a no go for me. That was one thing I HATED about my Ecoboost Mustang. That 2.3 TDI engine was so darn clanky and coarse feeling compared to the Coyote 5.0, which just purrs smoothly all the time...half the time I thought it was going to blow up in my face lol (never did, but makes the car less enjoyable to drive).

I see you offer Poly vertical links for 1/2 the price of the delrin ones. I was thinking this might be a good compromise on the vertical links over the factory ones for a street car.

I have a 2016 Ruby Red PP GT now (gotta update my sig still from the 2016 Ecoboost I had). But it's nearly bone stock save the Corsa Cat Back it came with, window tint and my RTR Tech 7 flow formed wheels I kept from the EB.

Given the rather substantial bump in power, I don't feel the engine is the first place to look on a PP GT, but rather the suspension to best make use of what's already there.

I'm looking to address the biggest culprits of wheel hop other than the diff bushings. I did poly bushings on the EB, NEVER again on a street car. As I said before, it sounded like a bowling ball was rolling around in the trunk. Just not acceptable for a daily driven street car, so that leaves the IRS.

TCA048 - Vertical Links, Rear Lower Control Arms, Polyurethane Bushings: https://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=1846&superpro=0

Also I see three different types of Delrin links, two is spherical bearings, one without delrin inserts: https://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&vehicleid=24&maincatid=113&catid=416

What are the applications of each? I am presently leaning towards the Poly ones for $99 as it's a street car that sees occasional drag and somewhat frequent Auto X (which I enjoy much more than drag most of the time). The rear end of a PP car is what needs all the work, the front end already has spherical bearings on all the linkages save the strut mount and the solid rubber on the main rear link where it attaches to the chassis (but given it's a solid rubber core there's little give). The front end on these cars feels laser precise from the factory, the back end is a whole new ball game of nothingness and squishy hippie love....
TCA048 will give you what you're looking for :thumbsup:

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
[MENTION=10281]BmacIL[/MENTION] I just ordered my TCA048, are yours in? Keen to gain your impressions.

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
Thanks for the feedback!

I tell people on a daily basis, start minimal with our Performance Springs and the CB005 - and let's go from there.

A few simple mods really does go a long way!
Great advice Kelly!

I've installed both the SP080 Performance Springs and the CB005 Cradle Lockout Kit... absolutely LOVE both of these BMR mods!! I personally consider them both to be 'must have' upgrades for the S550.

OP
OP
BMR Tech

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Congrats to Palm Beach Dyno, The Shop CT and RareFab!

They just went quicker than any other 6R80 trans S550 Mustang out there!

This is the quickest sixty-foot time for a CB005 that we know of, a BLISTERING 1.21!

[ame]

Sponsored

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Congrats to Palm Beach Dyno, The Shop CT and RareFab!

They just went quicker than any other 6R80 trans S550 Mustang out there!

This is the quickest sixty-foot time for a CB005 that we know of, a BLISTERING 1.21!

That's a pretty fast car...I think there was a Gen 1 S550 in the 7's now (7.9 if I remember). Fastest Camaro I've seen on the list was also in high 7's with a 7.8 I think.

Sky is the limit when you go full after market, platform doesn't matter then at that point I think.

But for street cars, how do the Performance springs compare to stock Performance Package springs in terms of spring rate?

Mine is a daily driver GT PP. I already have your cradle lock out kit and want to lower the ride height a bit and maybe reduce the body roll a tad more (not bad, but stock suspension height on the mustangs always seems so high for a sports car). Sticking with just a few key suspension mods for now and getting to know the GT more. Already spent a year and half with the EB so I'm somewhat familiar with the chassis and it's strengths / weaknesses.

The Handling springs are probably too stiff and seem geared more towards a track car than a daily / auto x / occasional track car unless I'm off center on that.

OP
OP
BMR Tech

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
Our SP080 are our most popular springs.

They lower a PP GT on average, about 1.2" front and 0.50" rear.

From seeing your posts, that is what I highly suggest you use. They are amazing.
BMR_SP080_IMG_1402 copy.jpg

OP
OP
BMR Tech

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
Stock PP GT rates are:

165lb/in Front
728lb/in Rear

SP080 Spring rates are:

170lb/in Front
740lb/in Rear

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Stock PP GT rates are:

165lb/in Front
728lb/in Rear

SP080 Spring rates are:

170lb/in Front
740lb/in Rear
This doesn't seem like much of an increases. And while I do agree that for a street car you don't want to go crazy with spring rates, is it really worth it (besides the lowering standpoint) to do the springs for a measily 5lb/in up front and 12lb/in in the rear?

Excuse my ignorance and it is in no way a bash on the product...just trying to justify spending some $400 for a seemingly marginal increase on paper.

OP
OP
BMR Tech

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
This doesn't seem like much of an increases. And while I do agree that for a street car you don't want to go crazy with spring rates, is it really worth it (besides the lowering standpoint) to do the springs for a measily 5lb/in up front and 12lb/in in the rear?

Excuse my ignorance and it is in no way a bash on the product...just trying to justify spending some $400 for a seemingly marginal increase on paper.
$400? I think you are looking in the wrong place, our springs retail for $209.95, and can usually be had at that price or less shipped.

Additional components are not needed for the installation. Alignment check is recommended, but often times adjustment is not needed.

As for the measly comment, not everyone wants to have a significantly stiffer spring. The most common person who lowers their car wants a good looking stance with springs that work with the stock dampers - the SP080 fits the bill, hence the reason they are one of the most popular S550 springs out there.

Looking for more rate? Plenty of options available. Looking for the stiffest Linear springs and plan to actually put the car to use in corners, look at our SP083 Handling Spring Kit. :cheers:

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
As for the measly comment, not everyone wants to have a significantly stiffer spring. The most common person who lowers their car wants a good looking stance with springs that work with the stock dampers - the SP080 fits the bill, hence the reason they are one of the most popular S550 springs out there.
I agree, so this seems more of a spring to lower the car more so than one to improve handling performance (while also working with the stock dampers).

Looking for the stiffest Linear springs and plan to actually put the car to use in corners, look at our SP083 Handling Spring Kit.
I assume those won't work well with stock PP dampers?

OP
OP
BMR Tech

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
You nailed it.

Performance: Great all-around performance, use stock dampers if you want, great looks.

Handling: Aftermarket dampers, GREAT HANDLING, great looks.

Drag: Drag race use, not great handling, awesome looks.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I agree, so this seems more of a spring to lower the car more so than one to improve handling performance (while also working with the stock dampers).

I assume those won't work well with stock PP dampers?
They improve handling but not because of the minor rate change. CG improvement and spring match improvement, as well as the ride height stagger that improves the balance of the car.

Dave_6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB Mustang GT PP
My SP080s and CB005 came in a couple days ago. Going to wait until the jacking rails arrive and the weather warms up before installing it all.

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They improve handling but not because of the minor rate change. CG improvement and spring match improvement, as well as the ride height stagger that improves the balance of the car.
Agreed. These are NOT dedicated track springs. They are lowering springs with comparable rates to the PP springs. So yes they do improve handling substantially on a base model, but less so on a PP car.

The small increase in spring rate won't net much for a PP car, however the lower center of gravity will plant the car better in corners, especially with the larger drop in front as the car is a bit nose heavy (54/46 balance).

I bought a set of caster / camber plates to go along with the SP080's and the BMR full cradle lock out kit. I'm not really interested in drag, which isn't the strong suite or purpose of the IRS rear end anyway nor is it something I personally enjoy. I LOVE road courses though, auto x, full track and back country roads, canyon roads etc.

The S550 GT actually handles on something other than a drag strip unlike the S197 GT's. Live axles only get you so far on bumpy roads compared to independent rear end....

On a 3750~3800 lb car that's 2025 lbs up front and 1725 lbs out back, of course the down force increases front or back depending on breaking, acceleration, corner speed, corner bank etc.

Keeping the nose a little lower should also counteract the slight squat somewhat and keep handling more neutral during corner exit, or at least one would think.

Read a couple of reviews of people who actually took a PP GT to the track, unless they are horribly biased against the Ford, they are all very positive on what a stock PP can actually do, especially compared to the older S197. With a few rather cheap tweaks, the GT can easily be brought back up to Gen 6 SS levels. Shouldn't be a problem to put down a little coin considering you paid 4k~5k less in the first place.

Seems to me the best route is always the aftermarket when you looking for the best over all quality. There are less constraints than what Ford or GM have to deal with on production line cars and what is and is not economically feasible for them to do. Just look at what two great brands can do for the GT's, BMR and Ford Performance both have some top notch stuff!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.