Sponsored

3.7 V6 dropped for 2018 Refresh!

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
Ford is offering 0% 72-month financing in Central Florida right now. I don't know if they're offering that nationally, though. If they are, and you have the opportunity to buy on the Z-plan, now is an awesome time to buy a new GT. Your Z-plan discount is the same as the A-plan, so you're not going to get any better discount. With Z and A-plan, you're guaranteed to receive the financing offer, too, unless things have changed the last couple years since I was able to buy Z-plan. If I were you, and you're really interested in a new GT, I'd seriously look at doing things now. Just my $.02... :thumbsup:
*sigh* Your .02 is how my .02 is thinking also. I wouldnt be rolling any negative equity in either. Waiting til the end of year clearance would be better, so I have some time.

How did it feel going from a 4.0 to a 3.7? Always wondered this as I've never driven a 4.0.
As for the 4.0L to 3.7L transition. I thought the 4.0 was adequate, but the acceleration was flat throughout the whole RPM range. The 3.31 rear end helped quite a bit. The 5 speed was all over the place, hard and notchy (the MGW shifter helped a lot). The clutch was a cinder block. I put a diablosport tune on it, which woke it up, but it was still nothing compared to the 3.7. The Cologne engine has been around since the 60s, it was tough as nails but very outdated in 2010.

If your bored, check out exhaust videos of the 4.0L. Muffler deletes sound really good.
Sponsored

Last edited:

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr

gov cheese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7 051A Guard
Had a 2001 3.8 mustang (190hp) manual for 12 years before trading in on 2016 V6. As a daily driver 300 hp is plenty. With traffic the way it is rarely get to use all 300hp let a only an extra 135 with a GT.
The V6 i choose was under 25k, and the GT base went for just under 32k.
This pony will be in the stable for a long time.

SAL-E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Ruby Red
The V6 is what I was looking for. I've had three Mustangs... all 6 cylinder (one straight 6 (1965... first car), the others V6). Perfect for what I want. I see this as a loss and likely show stopper if I hadn't already bought my '17. I guess I'll be keeping it for quite some time.

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
The V6 is what I was looking for. I've had three Mustangs... all 6 cylinder (one straight 6 (1965... first car), the others V6). Perfect for what I want. I see this as a loss and likely show stopper if I hadn't already bought my '17. I guess I'll be keeping it for quite some time.
Props to you for not giving in and getting a v8.

Sponsored

DANA44

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 convertible
The 3.7 ,if it had been in an import coupe it would have been all the rage. But Ford designed and built it with reliability, performance and economy but branded it a base engine. For some they can’t get pass having a base engine on a piece of paper. Now it will live on in the $45K Continental weighing in at 4000+ lbs. Stuff that tank with 4 healthy Americans with luggage in the trunk it will tip the scale at over 5000 lbs. That’s before going hitting the drive through. Is its next home the Bronco?

MagneticA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Manual v6 Mustang
Love my '15 as much today as the day I bought it. She'll be my coach for as long as she holds up. And a part of me actually likes that it doesn't have much technology in it. There's nothing like old technology to really show age.

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
I got my V6 at the end of March 2015. I ordered it the way I wanted it and I have loved this car from day one. I still think it's better than an 4 EB but I never diss anyone who drives one because I just felt the V6 was right for me. I'll be keeping this a very long time but when I get another Mustang to start building my collection I may go for a GT or the Hybrid depending on my desires at the time. I had two V8 Mustangs in the past so it's not like I've never know the V8 mystique, but if Ford eventually eliminates the V8 I may have to get the GT for the last year the 8 is offered. I'm hoping to get a 60th Anniversary model so the V8 would be nice :)

USMC V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Premium 51A, GT 18"wheels, spoiler
I've had my 2015 V6, Auto, 051A Premium, w/ GT 18" Foundry wheels and Spoiler paid $23,000 after $5700 with trade in and veterans discounts ford offered, just at 2 years ago and just turned 11,000 miles and having it running just the way I want it. With $800.00 in mods, K&N drop in stock big box, PedalMAX, TB spacer and SCT 93 tuner w/ +25% shifting firmness. It's very quick from a stop through the gears to 120 mph. After reading about the 2018 GT and seeing the pictures the glass gauge cluster and 455 hp, the price tag w/ all options your setting a about $50,000 I'll pass. I'd rather have a used 2015, 2016 GT350 for about the same price. But at 68 yrs old I'm a little behind the power curve. lol

Sponsored

six_shooter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 DIB, 2018 HD Iron 1200
The engine will be out of the mustang, but it will stick around in other cars like the continental as another poster mentioned. I am coming up on my 2 year mark with my 3.7, just shy of 60k miles. Rock solid reliable and plenty of power. It isn't a GT but it pulls really well IMO.

I commute 120/miles roundtrip a day and it gets decent mileage too. I think this car could last me a long time, I'm hoping to keep it for 6 years/180-200k or so. By then, that would be at the time the S550 is going out and the S650 is coming in. If I get another mustand then, and if they have a mid level V6 EB trim like the 2.7V6 in the F150, I'd probably go for that. A GT is whole other level from a performance standpoint but the price premium reflects that. Something in the middle at ~350HP would be just right for me IMO.

Zero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
As sad as it is to watch the under-appreciated V6 (temporarily?) drive off into the sunset, it's departure doesn't negate my love for the car or blemish it's incredible value.

Truth be told, when I had to buy a new car a few months back, the Mustang wasn't even on my list. I was looking for something more practical. After driving numerous well-reviewed daily drivers, a last-minute impulse decision brought me to the Ford parking lot, where I would eventually sit down in a V6 Mustang and take it for a spin. During that drive, I noticed that even the V6 possessed this intangible quality that almost none of the other vehicles I tested had - soul!

That's what really gets me going. Soul! That's what continues to put a smile on my face every time.

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
I don't know about the whole soul thing but I agree that it had a different feel to it. But then I've only driven '06 matrix & corolla and a '13 crv. And let me tell you this little v6 we have is quite the spectacle when I first test drove it.

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
I came from a 2002 Camry, 2010 Mazdaspeed3, 2014 Nissan Sentra, and then my 2015 V6 Mustang.

The Camry was just my parents car that I used.

The MS3 was definitely a fun little toy, but I felt like it wasn't the car for me anymore. I started to lose interest in the hatchback styling and even started to feel embarrassed by it.

The Sentra was slow as f*** and it was a pain to drive that thing even though it had a very comfortable interior and the 6spd was very smooth...plus very affordable. It was definitely the point A to B type car.

The V6 Mustang was perfect, great power, great styling, budget friendly, great sound, RWD. I could definitely see myself driving this car for much longer than the MS3 and Sentra.

TURTL3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LB Mustang 3.7 6MT
Pulling this thing in 2nd gear at 3K rpm is always a good time.

To be honest, I don't feel like I'm missing much being down hp on the V8. I do plan to keep this car until I break even on it or get some positive equity, so a few years, but I find it pointless to upgrade to a V8. It's the same car but just faster. The V6 is plenty fast enough. The experience of the V8 S550 wouldn't be different enough for me to want to finance it for another 60 months (I don't lease).

I've said it a million times: The value of the V6 is mind blowing. By making it the stepchild of the bunch, Ford actually did us, the buyers, a huge favor. It's the best kept secret of the segment and we've all benefited from that. I definitely don't envy guys/girls who bent over backwards to squeeze into a base GT just because Jalopnik said that the V8 is the only "true" Mustang. I paid a lot less and I'm sure I'm having just as much fun.

If it's one thing I'll be looking for when my V6 journey is over, it's a "tighter", more agile sports car. The base V6 handles surprisingly well, and with my 9 inch wide Sumitomos, I have plenty of grip, but my GTI spoiled me a bit. My dream car is a 911, so I think that's going to be next up for me years from now. Maybe a Jaguar F Type V6. Dunno. But that's years down the road. I'm enjoying every minute with my V6 S550 at the moment.
Sponsored