Rev matching, down shifting and heal toe, MANUAL TRANS ONLY

LICobra

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 K0933
I rev match in both my manual cars, years ago I to learned heel/toe at the Bob Bondurant driving school and practice it when the opportunity allows....:D

I did install the Steeda heel/toe gas pedal and the garage line spacer in my GT to assist in the process.
Steeda heel toe with garageline spacer.jpg

SoulTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Prem. Oxford White
Always rev match my downshifts when getting into a lower gear or coasting to a light to hear the sweet coyote rather than just using the brakes until I stop. Slowing like this does wear the clutch more than brake pads but I don't think significantly enough to warrant not doing it. Will be even better when the Corsa Xtreme is on :D

I don't know how to heel-toe, tried and failed hard from 4-3 because I can hardly reach the gas and the brakes come on pretty hard for street speeds. I find that to be more of a racing application as a lot have stated in this thread. My friend can do it extremely smoothly in his new Mazda 3 but he's been driving stick a lot longer than myself and well it's a completely different car haha. A lot easier to drive than a 5.0

Joshg120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
The DIY spacer looks tempting but I may just pony up the 90 bucks for the garageline piece. Seems like something that you wouldn't want to mess up. I'm excited to do the spacer and the steeda heel/toe pedal, should make the process much easier

TURTL3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LB Mustang 3.7 6MT
The DIY spacer looks tempting but I may just pony up the 90 bucks for the garageline piece. Seems like something that you wouldn't want to mess up. I'm excited to do the spacer and the steeda heel/toe pedal, should make the process much easier
It's 3 10mm nuts, that's all. Real easy to install the spacers. I installed some and it really didn't make much difference but YMMV

Sponsored

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Always rev match my downshifts when getting into a lower gear or coasting to a light to hear the sweet coyote rather than just using the brakes until I stop. Slowing like this does wear the clutch more than brake pads but I don't think significantly enough to warrant not doing it.
If you are correctly rev-matching there should be very, very little additional wear to the clutch. Does your engine increase/decrease RPM when you let the clutch out?

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Don't really see the point of heel-and-toe in daily traffic unless you haul ass wherever you go and drive like Ken Block. Rev matching, sure, but heel and toe seems a bit of an over kill.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Don't really see the point of heel-and-toe in daily traffic unless you haul ass wherever you go and drive like Ken Block. Rev matching, sure, but heel and toe seems a bit of an over kill.
Agreed - particularly with brake pads that have high initial bite.

Picking up the H-T skill might not be as much of a problem if you live out in the country compared to living in a heavily developed suburban sprawl.

Norm

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered some of these to try. At worst I waste $7 and a little bit of time.
https://www.mcmaster.com/#92842A600

I don't heel-toe all the time when I daily drive, mostly just rev-matching, but when I do drive a little more aggressively, I do.

OP
OP
guncrazy72

guncrazy72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP black on black
I mess with heal toe a bit trying to get it down for the possibility of needing it in Autocross, which I really doubt I will depending on the course size.

My blimps are getting much better though as each day goes on. Ive been playing with letting the clutch out faster and slower to see what is smoothest.

Sponsored

Dudie7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I simply can't comfortably accomplish heel/toe in this car with the seating position that I drive in. I'm 6'2...

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
3 bolts and a electrical connector you have to undo, since you hve the pedal out you can install the steeda heel toe pedal easier. Very simple mods

SoulTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Prem. Oxford White
If you are correctly rev-matching there should be very, very little additional wear to the clutch. Does your engine increase/decrease RPM when you let the clutch out?
I guess I meant wear as in it's just additional use of the clutch not improper use vs solely using brakes until you go into neutral at a stop.

I'm not a pro but I usually hit rev matches pretty well and always aim to over rev them a bit than under if I do miss them.

Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
300 hp with 3 pedals
Not trying to show you the `point' here, but I will say that heel/toe will make (even) daily driving more enjoyable.

I don't drive aggressively at all in daily driving; and I do heel/toe everyday (as there are certain places/turns on my way to work/home where, if the lights are green, are perfect for heel/toe); and I am sure that my driving quality would get negatively affected if I did not learn/use heel-and-toe. :cheers:

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
I ordered some of these to try. At worst I waste $7 and a little bit of time.
https://www.mcmaster.com/#92842A600

I don't heel-toe all the time when I daily drive, mostly just rev-matching, but when I do drive a little more aggressively, I do.
Hey [MENTION=10281]BmacIL[/MENTION], why would you want a concave part instead of a flat one?

I was thinking of replicating the garageline (or whatever brand that was) piece with some scrap aluminum stock I have around work, probably will need more than one to reach the optimal height.
Sponsored