Sponsored

"Venom Kills Demons" - Jim Owens (Ford Performance Marketing Manager)

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Carbon fibre rims were said to be too expensive at one point then their they were standard on the R.. I'm guessing some panels may get the same treatments.
Albeit, Ford out sourced the CF wheel production and only for a small amount. How many GT350R's produced thus far? If Ford produced CF wheels for every GT350 that would be a different story. Carbon fiber production is not easy and very complex unlike stamping steel or aluminum.
https://www.compositesworld.com/columns/autocomposites-and-the-myth-of-5lb-carbon-fiber
Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
The hood and fenders are likely to transition to composite. Savings aren't major here as aluminum is pretty light to begin with.

I'm hoping the Ford/BASF composite subframe (in the rear) makes an appearance but I suspect that Ford will once again, underdeliver here.
In the U.S. Army there is a popular phrase, "hope for the best and expect the worst" LOL

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
It won't be much more than 4000lbs. Just my deduction. Hard to see how it'll obliterate its direct competition.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
It won't be much more than 4000lbs. Just my deduction. Hard to see how it'll obliterate its direct competition.
Yeah. I do t know about obliterating but it will give them hell.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
I remember too! But for 130K!!! I will be looking else were for weight reduction and so will most that would drop that kind of dough on a car. To be clear, weight reduction cost a lot and as Epiphany already mentioned, how far is ford willing to go and at what cost?
I never said it was worthy of the cost, I was just pointing out cutting over 400 lbs is not minimal weight loss. Also this is an aftermarket relatively small company. Ford can probably produce carbon fiber for a 3rd or 4th the cost. It’s still going to be heavy no doubt
But hey hold on now, $130K true is a LOT of money, but that gives you an R that is approximately down to GT3 levels of weight, yet with more power and torque! Might seem like a lot, but I think the performance benefits there would be HUGE, not to mention the feeling behind the wheel.

The hood and fenders are likely to transition to composite. Savings aren't major here as aluminum is pretty light to begin with.

I'm hoping the Ford/BASF composite subframe (in the rear) makes an appearance but I suspect that Ford will once again, underdeliver here.
I'm guessing though that if anything they would try to focus on light weight in the mid-front section of the car to try and offset the additional weight of the supercharger and coolers, etc.

Might even leave some items untouched in the rear (even though they could lightweight them) for the sake of balance, thoughts?

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
A beefier IRS (halfshafts and case ears) could always use an offset. Up front there are quite a few ways they can do it but as always its all about cost.

Dary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT
Could Ford use Gorilla Glass again and replace the green house to save a bit of weight and to lower the center of gravity same as in the GT? Granted, the GT used this tech only on the windshield and rear window/engine cover.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
A carbon roof would be nice, too. Been available on the likes of the M4 for a while.

The most recent image from Motor Trend shows it with a painted roof (and stripes) and you'd assume they'd want to leave it bare, so perhaps not.

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
Could Ford use Gorilla Glass again and replace the green house to save a bit of weight and to lower the center of gravity same as in the GT? Granted, the GT used this tech only on the windshield and rear window/engine cover.
Gorilla Glass? better yet, imagine it having "polycarbonate" fixed windows :lol: hahahaha I'm sorry, too much "race car" imagination for me hahaha

ford_mustang_mk6_lexan_polycarbonate_windows.jpg

Sponsored

jmcatee10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Latest video with more insight.

Hello folks here is a newer video of Jim going in more detail (well as much as he could) about the Venom Kills Demons comment. FYI.. the interview begins @ 7:54

[ame]

My apologies if this was posted previously.

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT