Sponsored

GT500 - Power or Weight?

What would make for the best performing car? Power or Weight?

• 650hp & 3,640lbs

Votes: 50 37.9%
  • 675hp & 3,780lbs

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • 700hp & 3,920lbs

Votes: 16 12.1%
  • 725hp & 4,060lbs

Votes: 32 24.2%
  • 750hp & 4,200lbs

Votes: 13 9.8%
  • 775hp & 4,340lbs

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • 800hp & 4,480lbs

Votes: 8 6.1%

• Total voters

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
Thank you. Most people just want a big number. A lot of people are short sighted when it comes to this stuff. Ford is trying to attract a different buyer now. One that wants a balanced car. There’s a reason why the GT350 is so wildly popular. And it’s far from the biggest horsepower number. Same with GT3, etc...
The lightest car is usually best but let’s be real it’s significantly more expensive to cut weight then add more power. And I’m sure we’ve seen roll races where hellcats beat Z06 so I can only picture the whining from the people that would want the lighter car. 700/3920 is going to give you a nice blend of not being too fat yet having the power. We’re at a point where technology has an ability to offset a lot of weight. Look at the ZL1 1LE, weighs about 3850, nearly as fast as Z06! Sometimes I think we get very caught up in weight numbers, I think if we went out drove these cars and guessed we would think they are much lighter. They’re 250 lb linebackers not 225 lb out of shape office guys!!
Sponsored

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
In terms of ideal performance, the lightest option above would be best.

However, in terms of what is realistic, I think the two options bracketing 4000 lbs will the most likely actual numbers. I therefore voted for the 3920 lb option, which would be pretty sweet if Ford was able to achieve it.

I actually think the numbers will be more like 715 & 4000 lbs.

-T

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
In terms of ideal performance, the lightest option above would be best.
Agreed. More power also tends to make more heat, which requires bigger coolers, requires beefier components (drivetrain, suspension, etc..), all of this adds weight, which requiring bigger brakes, which adds more weight. It's a viscous cycle.

"Simplify, then add lightness"
- Colin Chapman.

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere" - Colin Chapman

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Great post Stuntman.

Sponsored

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
I lol'd at 3640lbs.
Anything under 3900lbs would be laughable. The 2018 is already 3900lbs. Even if that is a loaded model, this car will have a blower + supporting mods. That is probably going to weight another 100+lbs. And add what Stuntman said, bigger brakes, bigger wheels, etc.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I lol'd at 3640lbs.
Anything under 3900lbs would be laughable. The 2018 is already 3900lbs. Even if that is a loaded model, this car will have a blower + supporting mods. That is probably going to weight another 100+lbs. And add what Stuntman said, bigger brakes, bigger wheels, etc.
Everyone who doesn't have a Mustang says they are heavier than they really are.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
If power-to-weight ratio was the be all and end all then I would disagree with those hints from members here indicating it will decimate the ZL1. There must be something besides these two numbers that will give it a clear advantage. That is where my curiousity lies. Judging by the video the car will get pumped guards, and wider rubber, but surely, there has to be some new tech beneath that no one's talking about.

I’m not saying that what BmacIL said is wrong, but as he have said before the numbers may have changed in he last months because of a lot of reasons.
If they change once can they change again? When they said "projected" it leaves the impression they're still working on it.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
If power-to-weight ratio was the be all and end all then I would disagree with those hints from members here indicating it will decimate the ZL1. There must be something besides these two numbers that will give it a clear advantage. That is where my curiousity lies. Judging by the video the car will get pumped guards, and wider rubber, but surely, there has to be some new tech beneath that no one's talking about.

If they change once can they change again? When they said "projected" it leaves the impression they're still working on it.
That’s what I’m wondering too. If the power to weight ratio really is around 5.76 and the car is heavy as that would make it. There has to be some tricks and things going on that’s giving the impression too members/insiders to say it’s going to decimate the competition.

Sponsored

Farruko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red GT 2016

If they already dropped the number from high 700’s to low 700’s is hard for them to go back up, since the most likely reason of the drop is durability/emissions/heat issues.

Or maybe, just maybe the reason is because of the DCT.

FishGeek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT Premium - Guard Metallic
Wouldn't it be more appropriate to examine torque to weight ratios?

Regardless....it would also depend, I guess, on whether you were in a straightline drag race or a circuit like autocross. With turns I would definitely go with lighter weight for all the reasons already stated (braking, turning). In a drag race, from a standstill you're likely to have to contend with sitting there roasting the tires rather than getting down the track in a really light car with high torque/HP.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
If they already dropped the number from high 700’s to low 700’s is hard for them to go back up, since the most likely reason of the drop is durability/emissions/heat issues.

Or maybe, just maybe the reason is because of the DCT.
It could be many reasons: DCT durability, axle durability, cooling, emissions. Bummer, though. As stated, at one point not very long ago there was an 8 in front...

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
Unless that low 700hp figure doesn't include the power from the electric motor it's basically a 2014 with way better handling and launch capabilities.

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
Unless that low 700hp figure doesn't include the power from the electric motor it's basically a 2014 with way better handling and launch capabilities.
So... in other words “a Great Car”, right? Hahahaa
Sponsored