Mustang Shelby GT500?

Allegro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2018 RC GT Premium
The Ford teaser video clearly calls the new GT500 'Mustang Shelby GT500'. Is this the official name for this car? When I got my 2007 GT500 it was worth your life to call it a 'Mustang'. It was a Shelby GT500. There was no Mustang ID on the car, except in the black dot matrix windshield top band where there was a pony outline in the middle. Some owners were really upset with this 'Mustang' inference and came up with all kinds of strange and wonderful ways to get rid of it. The 'Mustang Shelby GT500' in the teaser video looks like an emblem. Is this going to appear on the new GT500?
Sponsored

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
The 'Mustang Shelby GT500' in the teaser video looks like an emblem. Is this going to appear on the new GT500?
I don't think so, in my opinion it will be the same than the current GT350.

The Ford teaser video clearly calls the new GT500 'Mustang Shelby GT500'. Is this the official name for this car? When I got my 2007 GT500 it was worth your life to call it a 'Mustang'. It was a Shelby GT500. There was no Mustang ID on the car, except in the black dot matrix windshield top band where there was a pony outline in the middle. Some owners were really upset with this 'Mustang' inference and came up with all kinds of strange and wonderful ways to get rid of it.
Both 2020 and 2007 GT500 (and all in between) are "Mustangs", those owners are just full of it and they wanted to feel superior but that's it. I mean "Shelby GT500 and Shelby GT350" are just the name of the variant but Mustang at the end.

I mean, when you look for a GT350 on the website, where do you have to click on "vehicles"?

Even if it doesn't have any Mustang emblem, it's still a Mustang.
SHelby.JPG

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Dear God,

please convince those at Ford to offer the content in the upcoming GT500 as mere options that can be checked on a regular plain Jane Mustang, much like the LX HO Fox bodies from years ago. Those that have to have "S H E L B Y" plastered all over the car can pay for the royalties and be instantly recognized at the next cars and coffee event if/when the car is allowed out of it's protective bubble.

Thanks. See you down the road.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Dear God,

please convince those at Ford to offer the content in the upcoming GT500 as mere options that can be checked on a regular plain Jane Mustang, much like the LX HO Fox bodies from years ago. Those that have to have "S H E L B Y" plastered all over the car can pay for the royalties and be instantly recognized at the next cars and coffee event if/when the car is allowed out of it's protective bubble.

Thanks. See you down the road.
This.

I hated the "Shelby" elitism I saw sometimes when I owned my '07. Drove me nuts.....

OP
OP

Allegro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2018 RC GT Premium
I hated the "Shelby" elitism I saw sometimes when I owned my '07. Drove me nuts.....
Yes, I wasn't prepared for it, either, when I got my '07. It was ridiculous. The car was built with Mustangs and Mazdas at Flat Rock. GT500s all went over to the Mazda detail center to have the stripes applied. They never went near Shelby in Las Vegas and to the average person they were Mustangs. However, nowhere on the car did it say Mustang, except the black dot pony on the windshield. If the new GT500 actually has an emblem that says 'Mustang Shelby GT500', I believe it will be a first.

Sponsored

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
They never went near Shelby in Las Vegas and to the average person they were Mustangs.
The only one that was offered by Ford and it went to Shelby in Vegas to be "finished" is the GT500KR.

If the new GT500 actually has an emblem that says 'Mustang Shelby GT500', I believe it will be a first.
I'm confident it won't. I don't see why it would.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
The only one that was offered by Ford and it went to Shelby in Vegas to be "finished" is the GT500KR.
And the Shelby GT....

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Like Epiphany alluded to, I'd order a plain-Jane coupe with all the good parts in a heartbeat. Sort of a discreet, detuned, street-legal Cobra Jet.

I loves me a sleeper, and it's a crying shame you can't buy one anymore.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
It would be like calling the Chevy Corvette Z06 the Chevy Z06. It's a freaking Corvette.

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
And the Shelby GT....
Speaking of that. One of my co-worker's brother owns one of those and I was talking about the GT350 and he was like well the GT350 is not a real Shelby. His brother's Shelby is the real deal because Shelby has the serial number.:lol:

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I don't know if this comes as a surprise to anyone here but.. people are dumb.

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
Irritates the hell out of me when people call GT350s and GT500s Shelbys Or even Cobras for that matter too.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Irritates the hell out of me when people call GT350s and GT500s Shelbys Or even Cobras for that matter too.
Well... they are. It’s all in the licensing.

They are Ford Mustangs. The make.

But they are also Shelby GTxxx. The model.

The full reference is “Ford Mustang Shelby GTxxx”

Ford references them by model on the website:

“Just looking at the Shelby GT350® makes your heart beat faster”

It is what it is.

So if someone wants to call it a Shelby, it’s all good.

They definitely aren’t Cobras though. It’s confusing with the badging. But there is no Cobra nomenclature. At all.

Would love to see that nameplate return (but 100% NOT in an SUV...) in a dead-serious, show everyone who the boss is, killer like the Terminator was.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
Several years ago , the Ford Mustang design team decided that the Mustang has such a distinct design that it would no longer need to have the Mustang name placed on the car. Their objective was to always design future Mustangs so that they would look like a Mustang without having the Mustang nameplate on them.
Sponsored