Sponsored

First DCT GT500 Mustang Caught on Video? Plus Hood Vents Up Close

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Jarstang said:
...we think it's unlikely to be the 6-speed Tremec 3160 manual transmission...
Never even a consideration as the TR3160 isn't even close to handling the torque of the upcoming engine.

Jarstang said:
This prototype was spied sporting a manual 6-speed shifter, but we believe it could be a placeholder/disguise...
This.

Interesting thing I see in the following shot...

attachment.jpg

Look closely at the bumper cover on the passenger side. Looks like this car (at the least) has been set up to use a tow hook in the factory location for export S550's. They punched a hole through the wrap right where it would be. The CGI video Ford released a bit ago hints that it may show up on production GT500's as well as the show a removable plug for the bumper cover...

GT500%20bumper%20plug%20for%20hook-L.jpg

Grimace427 said:
The wheels are nearly the same as the GT350 test car back in 2014.
I noticed the exact same thing. IIRC, the ones on the GT350 were from Forgeline as some of the photos showed their logo on the rim face. Too bad Ford would most likely never use them on a production Mustang. And that ride height....this car looks to be low, almost too low for a production vehicle. Most like it that way and it'd be great if it came like this but I suspect the production ride height will be a bit higher. The 20's sure do fill the wheelwell perfect at this height though.
Sponsored

markham51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 07 GT500 SS, MKIII Cobra, 68 Shelby GT500 KR Convert
[ame]

4cars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Lets hope it doesn't have the god awful ugly coolant overflow tank popping out at you when you open the hood !

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Lets hope it doesn't have the god awful ugly coolant overflow tank popping out at you when you open the hood !
Are you buying a GT500 to be a show car?:shrug:

JWS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 WW-50th LE Auto-0745-Grandé
Vents and Harnesses

what's dragging under the car? Liking the overall stance and look so far.
Maybe they intend to use this car as one of their Display Vehicles, once the Wraps come off. External Power Cable, maybe?

Do we know for sure the 350 Fender Vents will be there? If so, very good Camo.

The Teaser sort of hints at it, but no Flapping Vent Covers like the 350 Prototypes.
9E9BD81C-6543-4319-91FD-3CC1DE4A3A22.jpeg
6AE152F5-8F00-456F-AAE2-68701B12C565.jpeg

Sponsored

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
what's dragging under the car? Liking the overall stance and look so far.
A bystander.

This sounds definitely an automatic tranny. No doubt about it. Very likely the 10-speed, because it changed gear very quickly in low speed.
It'll be a DCT.... Billy Johnson is test driving it again this week. It's not a torque-converter 10-speed slushbox... and no manual. In fact when we chatted this past weekend, he repeatedly points to (his) Ford GT in regards to the GT500's transmission. That's enough hint I say.... think along the lines of a Tremec 9007 perhaps. :D
Agree that this is definitely an auto because of the sound of it, however it will be the DCT7 like Bossing says and not the A10 according to the latest info, right?

What I find interesting is that they try to disguise the DCT with a manual shifter. Could this be a "shift by button" transmission and not an actual shifter?

Reactions: _M_

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
A bystander.

Agree that this is definitely an auto because of the sound of it, however it will be the DCT7 like Bossing says and not the A10 according to the latest info, right?

What I find interesting is that they try to disguise the DCT with a manual shifter. Could this be a "shift by button" transmission and not an actual shifter?
Maybe the "R" version has the DTC and the reg version has a 6spd ?

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
Maybe the "R" version has the DTC and the reg version has a 6spd ?
After this post I’m pretty sure none of the two will have a manual. They are trying to let us think it will, but even when it looks like it does have a manual it is an auto.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
DCT only at this point.

There are some at Ford that pushed for a TR6060 and look to have been quietly toying with the idea, behind the scenes. Word from the campfire is that upper management wasn't too happy about this when the focus was to be solely on the DCT. Apparently, an "adjustment" was made in human resources.

The DCT's (for the umpteenth time) in the current cars came from Tremec in Zedelgem, Belgium. This is temporary. They are being serviced in Wixom, Michigan and it is this location where production DCT units are supposed to be sourced from for production. Expect delays...

Sponsored

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
It'll be a DCT.... Billy Johnson is test driving it again this week. It's not a torque-converter 10-speed slushbox... and no manual. In fact when we chatted this past weekend, he repeatedly points to (his) Ford GT in regards to the GT500's transmission. That's enough hint I say.... not the Getrag 7DCL750 but more like think along the lines of a Tremec 9007 perhaps. :D
HHmmm... Heard Tremec had made some changes to the AWD version recently. What other platforms use the AWD version of this?

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
I've said it before, but this camo is excellent.

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
Would not a DCT be the way to go ? It seems people are upset its a DCT ?

Reactions: _M_

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
Nope, if they went with DCT it will be DCT or no GT500. They can't just swap directions from a "DCT-only" to an Auto or a Manual without a significant (Huge) delay.

Or did you mean that choosing the DCT was not a good idea?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I think it makes complete sense. Cars with much over 600 hp just become a handful to drive with a manual. Sure it's still fun, but you can enjoy a little bit more of what makes the car special (if it's done right) with a DCT. Like the GT3 RS, GT-R, McLarens, Ferraris, etc.
Sponsored