Sponsored

Mustang Shelby GT500?

jlauth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Dear God,

please convince those at Ford to offer the content in the upcoming GT500 as mere options that can be checked on a regular plain Jane Mustang, much like the LX HO Fox bodies from years ago. Those that have to have "S H E L B Y" plastered all over the car can pay for the royalties and be instantly recognized at the next cars and coffee event if/when the car is allowed out of it's protective bubble.

Thanks. See you down the road.
A the grocery the other day I had an older gentlemen eyeing the car. I fired it up and he came over and told me he liked it and it looked sharp. He said this is the best looking Mustang I've seen then he continued to say that this one looks as good as a Shelby. Then I said well it is a shelby and his response was..."well it doesnt say it anywhere". And I said well if you go look below the front bumper its there on the splitter, but Ford wanted it to be more descrete.
Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
When I first got my R - a guy in what looked like a tastefully modded Audi pulled up beside me and told me that my cart was the "best modified Mustang he's ever seen". ;) I just told him that it came like that... He'll figure it out eventually.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
A the grocery the other day I had an older gentlemen eyeing the car. I fired it up and he came over and told me he liked it and it looked sharp. He said this is the best looking Mustang I've seen then he continued to say that this one looks as good as a Shelby. Then I said well it is a shelby and his response was..."well it doesnt say it anywhere". And I said well if you go look below the front bumper its there on the splitter, but Ford wanted it to be more descrete.
Goes to show that you don't need anyone's name plastered billboard style all over the car for it to catch someone's eye.

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Lol I refer to my car as a Mustang.

People ask me all the time "what is it?"

"It's a Mustang"

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
Lol I refer to my car as a Mustang.

People ask me all the time "what is it?"

"It's a Mustang"
Well, it is..... hahaha

But then, when they ask you "what kind of Mustang" I assume you say "a Shelby GT350"...

Sponsored

jsaylor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKZ
I don't understand the negativity in either direction with these cars, never have. For those who are interested the 67 and 68 Shelby Mustangs that started it all for the big block cars were both technically named like the following...

In 1967 Shelby was the manufacturer, GT was the model name of the car, and 350 or 500 would have been the trim depending upon the car you got

In 1968 Shelby was the manufacturer, Cobra GT was the model name, and 350 or 500 would have been the trim once again depending upon the car you got

Door data tags and VIN numbers reflect this. Of course, the cars are still and will always be Mustangs, and even in 1967 when Shelby was still building the cars and even changing the VIN numbers once the cars were received for that matter, the Shelby American order form still said Shelby GT 350/500 Mustang. And this was the case even though Mustang wasn't technically in the name of the car. Put simply a 67 Shelby is a real Ford Mustang even though it wore a Shelby American data plate and VIN, and a 68 GT500 is still a real Shelby even though it was produced by Ford rather than by the old Shelby shop. Those who want to disagree are welcome to, but they will still be wrong. ;)

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Well... they are. It’s all in the licensing.

They are Ford Mustangs. The make.

But they are also Shelby GTxxx. The model.

The full reference is “Ford Mustang Shelby GTxxx”

Ford references them by model on the website:

“Just looking at the Shelby GT350® makes your heart beat faster”

It is what it is.

So if someone wants to call it a Shelby, it’s all good.

They definitely aren’t Cobras though. It’s confusing with the badging. But there is no Cobra nomenclature. At all.

Would love to see that nameplate return (but 100% NOT in an SUV...) in a dead-serious, show everyone who the boss is, killer like the Terminator was.

Edit:
The new cars:
Ford=make
Mustang=model
Shelby ... = trim

But... Ford uses “Shelby” as a designator all its own. If Ford wants to do it, than a Shelby owner can do it. It’s a special car and deserves distinction.

Wow. Going back and retreading your own posts can be an exercise and in both humor and humility.

All Shelby’s are mustangs. But only some mustangs are Shelby’s. Yay.

jsaylor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKZ
Well... they are. It’s all in the licensing.

They are Ford Mustangs. The make.

But they are also Shelby GTxxx. The model.

The full reference is “Ford Mustang Shelby GTxxx”

Ford references them by model on the website:

“Just looking at the Shelby GT350® makes your heart beat faster”

It is what it is.

So if someone wants to call it a Shelby, it’s all good.

They definitely aren’t Cobras though. It’s confusing with the badging. But there is no Cobra nomenclature. At all.

Would love to see that nameplate return (but 100% NOT in an SUV...) in a dead-serious, show everyone who the boss is, killer like the Terminator was.

We actually don't know how the next generation GT500 will be 'officially' named yet. Though, I don't expect them to try and squeeze Cobra into the name because it will already be a mouthful, but it won't really make a difference. Any car with Shelby and GT350 or GT500 in the name has a little venom in it, and just like a 67 Shelby GT350 was still a Mustang whether the name said it or not, any Shelby GT350 or GT500 is as much a 'Cobra' as any Mustang can ever be.

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
We actually don't know how the next generation GT500 will be 'officially' named yet. Though, I don't expect them to try and squeeze Cobra into the name because it will already be a mouthful, but it won't really make a difference. Any car with Shelby and GT350 or GT500 in the name has a little venom in it, and just like a 67 Shelby GT350 was still a Mustang whether the name said it or not, any Shelby GT350 or GT500 is as much a 'Cobra' as any Mustang can ever be.
We don’t know about the next generation, but we DO know how the current (S550) generation will be officially named, let’s remember the teaser from Ford:

Mustang Shelby GT500
16CE66B0-D87D-4CE3-A266-048D0BA5FF7A.jpeg

jsaylor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKZ
We don’t know about the next generation, but we DO know how the current (S550) generation will be officially named, let’s remember the teaser from Ford:

Mustang Shelby GT500

Didn't realize they had specifically mentioned the full name, thanks for bringing that to my attention. Either way, that is exactly the name I expected so it's not a surprise.
Sponsored