Car and Driver 2018 Mustang GT instrument test

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
My '16 SHO made me realize there was quite a few things I didn't want again plus hearing of complaints from other friends with the new Ford's they owned. Here's my list of things I left off of my '18 Mustang on purpose and why...

BLIS - system would fault like previously described on my car.
Auto highbeams - they would turn on when passing semis blinding the driver if the car didn't see another set of taillights or headlights in front of me. I actually had a couple semi drivers swerve at me over it.
Digital dash - the tach was pitiful in the SHO. Just wasn't smooth at all and the display graphics looked horrible. I expected a lot better on a car with a $47k sticker price.
ACC - After hearing from several friends that their ACC never worked correctly again after hitting a opossum/raccoon on the road and the dealerships couldn't fix it after multiple trips, i don't ever want it.

I did like the cross traffic monitoring system. It definitely kept me from getting hit a few times in parking lots where other drivers were hauling a$$ through the lot as I was backing out of my spot.
I thought the BLIS feature was worth it and I was considering it as a must-have feature when i'm going to order the 18, but after reading your post i am really wondering if it's worth it. I don't care about ACC, LKAS, etc.

But the digital dash on the 18's is really nice. I like the 15-17 gauges and it looked like another gimmicky feature when I saw the cluster videos and pictures on the internet. I changed my mind after seeing it in person, it's very cool and thought Ford did a really great job. Besides, the 401A package comes with the heated steering wheel and a better interior so no brainer for me.
Sponsored

PTM5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP A10
I thought the BLIS feature was worth it and I was considering it as a must-have feature when i'm going to order the 18, but after reading your post i am really wondering if it's worth it. I don't care about ACC, LKAS, etc.

But the digital dash on the 18's is really nice. I like the 15-17 gauges and it looked like another gimmicky feature when I saw the cluster videos and pictures on the internet. I changed my mind after seeing it in person, it's very cool and thought Ford did a really great job. Besides, the 401A package comes with the heated steering wheel and a better interior so no brainer for me.
If you drive like most people do and don't spend 9hrs a week on an interstate (day & night), I'd say it's worthwhile. I liked the BLIS system because all my windows are 5% tinted but it sucked that IL and IN didn't mow their shoulders on the interstate causing the system to fault when triggered for hours on end. The safe & smart package just bundled too much stuff I didn't want together.

div2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M235i
I get that, I'm just not certain they will trigger during a normal track day or Friday At The Track.

Dunno, maybe sometimes. But I don't think there's supposed to be door-to-door action at those.
Exactly; drivers always need a point-by to pass even in instructor sessions where passing is allowed anywhere on the course.

HeavyMetalMonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2018 GT Premium PP/MR

I ordered the BLIS too. For the money all it has to do is prevent me from filing an insurance claim ONE time and it's paid for itself multiple times over. Maybe I'll never need it (been driving for 21 years and never been in a wreck) but it seems like cheap insurance...and I can always turn it off if I hate it.

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Wow...3878lbs..is this a misprint. Where did this car gain 100lbs. The times of this car are nearly identical to the last MT E92 M3 that they ran with only 414hp. Difference is the MT E92M3 weight came in at 3552lbs. In case any of you need to see this yourself..

http://media.caranddriver.com/files...mw-m3-vs-2012-mercedes-benz-c63-amg-jan12.pdf

I want to see other tests.

BTW, Evan Smith ran a 12.74 @107mph in a E46 M3 bone stock..that dude can get a shopping cart in the 12.0 range.

Dave

HeavyMetalMonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2018 GT Premium PP/MR
Do you count the speed shops and private owners times? Evan said he ran a 12.2 in a 6 speed 2018 GT. Even ecobeast ran a 12.1 in his 10 speed automatic.
Ecobeast doesn’t have magneride either btw.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Idk why people fret over .1 or .2 seconds in the quarter mile, its so little you wont feel it on a daily basis. Like if the 1le is a tad faster around a track who cares, the cars are so close it doesnt matter. I would rather take the mustang because you can actually see out of it and it has better interior storage and a nicer interior imo. That is a bigger deal then .2 in the quarter. But just because the camaro is a tad faster people freak out and make rash decisions. Just put a cai and tune on the 18 gt and youll be happy and you will also be able to see out of your car
It's a performance car, so the performance matters.
Otherwise just buy a SUV or an economy car, who cares if they are slower.