Sponsored

Do some dealer/people not realise that there is a base 2016 GT350?

482supersnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I've internet shopping for a used GT350. I've looked at lots of adds and have seen used Tech pack GT350's for a little under $47,000. There are more and more cars now in the $48,000 - $50,000 range and most of them are either tech or track pack cars with between 5,000 - 15,000 miles on them. Yet I have seen two base cars listed at the $49,500 range with one a little over 5,000 miles and the other a little over 9,000 miles. If I'm not mistaken these cars would of had a MSRP of $47,800. So the tech and track pack cars are now under what their MSRP was but the base car that doesn't have any of the good stuff - trans and diff coolers, magnaride or big screen - is over orginal MSRP? That doesn't make any sense to me.
Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
MSRP is $47,795. Add in the mandatory $1,300 gas guzzler and $900 destination charge, and it's $49,995. Just enough to where Ford was able to claim "Under $50k"

Not sure what's going on with the used values, but out of all the packages, the base trim was the most analog and simple with no Magnaride(WHERE YOU AT NASTANG?) which was the selling point for me. May have optioned for the coolers if it was a separate package, but then again it's a street car for me. I imagine those who wanted to install aftermarket/track suspension would look for a base to not deal with Magneride, and just add in the coolers themselves. And the fact that they made something like 300 or so of the base trim in total(was made just for 1 year).

KBB is still quoting me $48k for private party value in my area with nearly 12k miles. Optioned it with the track package and it was $2k more.

OP
OP

482supersnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Location does affect the price but I don't think you will recoup the gas guzzler and destination charges in a used car sale. For me I like to look at trade in value when looking at a used car because if I buy one and 2 months down the road I decide that the car isn't for me a dealer isn't going to care what i paid for it. They will only go off of trade in value. So a used base gt350 has a national average trade in value of $41,500. For me a dealer price should be around $45,000 - $46,000.

That is also good to know that only 300 base gt350's where made.

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Location does affect the price but I don't think you will recoup the gas guzzler and destination charges in a used car sale. For me I like to look at trade in value when looking at a used car because if I buy one and 2 months down the road I decide that the car isn't for me a dealer isn't going to care what i paid for it. They will only go off of trade in value. So a used base gt350 has a national average trade in value of $41,500. For me a dealer price should be around $45,000 - $46,000.

I was offered 47,500 by Carmax a month ago for my base. Last week a dealer offered to buy my car for $45k without picking up a vehicle off there lot. That $41,500 is BS, everyone would own a Shelby at that price

OP
OP

482supersnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I was offered 47,500 by Carmax a month ago for my base. Last week a dealer offered to buy my car for $45k without picking up a vehicle off there lot. That $41,500 is BS, everyone would own a Shelby at that price
Like I said location will affect the price but the national average for trade in on a base is $41,500 per KBB. There is plenty of inventory out there and more GT350's are being made. The prices will start to fall and by March you should be able to get into a decent one for around $45,000 in my opinion. Will see. I've been wrong before.

Sponsored

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Like I said location will affect the price but the national average for trade in on a base is $41,500 per KBB. There is plenty of inventory out there and more GT350's are being made. The prices will start to fall and by March you should be able to get into a decent one for around $45,000 in my opinion. Will see. I've been wrong before.
First off stop paying attention to KBB. Dealers don't use it. Never have. Black book values are what dealers go by - has been for years.

See attached - 2016 GT350 no tech package, 5K miles.
shelby black book.JPG

crazyfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350 & '14 GT Track Car
I've internet shopping for a used GT350. I've looked at lots of adds and have seen used Tech pack GT350's for a little under $47,000. There are more and more cars now in the $48,000 - $50,000 range and most of them are either tech or track pack cars with between 5,000 - 15,000 miles on them. Yet I have seen two base cars listed at the $49,500 range with one a little over 5,000 miles and the other a little over 9,000 miles. If I'm not mistaken these cars would of had a MSRP of $47,800. So the tech and track pack cars are now under what their MSRP was but the base car that doesn't have any of the good stuff - trans and diff coolers, magnaride or big screen - is over orginal MSRP? That doesn't make any sense to me.

The funny thing is that the '16 base is not only rare. It is appreciating in value much more than people realize or understand approaching "R" money on the used market. I just saw a triple yellow unit go for $80k in my area with 1400 miles on it as well as a black unit with 4400 in September go for $68k through private party. I have looked for another base as a deal and have found no bargains yet. If you run across one you might want to re-think your choice as an investment?

Kind of funny that typical dealers are slugs and offer people $40-50k for these cars if they can get them and sell them to connoisseur car houses that get an additional $10-20k out of these cars. My base has not only been appraised at $75k but is considered an appreciating investment through my insurance, banks and the few high end dealerships I deal with. I have been offered much more than I paid to trade it in recently but until the right car at the right price comes forward I will keep my base gt350.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford

NADA trade in value for my car is $46k, and clean retail is still basically MSRP, guzzler tax and destination included.

Last edited:

MNGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350 base comp orange
I'm biased, as I own a base, but it has several things going for it.

no magneride. More analog "old school" suspension set-up, which by most accounts is excellent already. And standard suspension weighs less. how much is unclear, but I've seen 10-30 pounds as the range. Also less complicated, less to go wrong, less expensive to fix.

The transmission and diff coolers, while important if planning on tracking the car, have really no added benefit for street driving. I'm unconvinced that "spirited driving" will engage limp mode for most of us. I don't want to end up in the ditch, or in jail, so there's only so much "spirited driving" I can do anyway. I was surprised when I saw pictures online of the coolers and all the hoses/pipes/pumps needed. These add a decent amount of weight to the car, make things more complicated as well. (Also, there are "heavy duty" front springs on the track package models. More weight I don't need.)

I don't like spoilers on mustangs. Another reason the base model is better with its subtle decklid lip.

I don't want climate control, extra speakers taking up weight, bigger touch screens, or motors and heaters/coolers in my seats weighing things down, so more reasons to favor the base model.

I think the base model could be marketed as the "lightweight, most analog, old school, classic muscle car vibe" of the GT350 line. Which is what I wanted. I actually searched out a base model when looking for a lightly used one, and found exactly what I was looking for. The icing on the cake is they tend to go for less, but are worth more in my mind, for all the reasons above.

And, if you care, only a small number of them were produced. So more unique/rare.

Last edited:

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Love my base. It’s fantastic on the Ford Performance parts springs too.

I test drove a tech with magneride. The base with springs feels more competent.

Sponsored

chuckty101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Shadow Black
2016 GT350/R Production Numbers for North America

Base 177 units
Track 1652 units
Tech 3814 units
"R" 526 units

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey
To my knowledge the Base is pretty rare Ive only seen 3 of them so far.

tdzee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
85 Corvette, 04 Corvette Z16, 08 350Z NISMO, 15 CTS-V Coupe, 17 GT350R
2016 GT350/R Production Numbers for North America

Base 177 units
Track 1652 units
Tech 3814 units
"R" 526 units
Remember that of the 526 Rs, there were about 60 base Rs, which are the very lightest of all 350s.

OP
OP

482supersnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
First off stop paying attention to KBB. Dealers don't use it. Never have. Black book values are what dealers go by - has been for years.

See attached - 2016 GT350 no tech package, 5K miles.
I had looked at Black Book a couple of months ago. Honest question because I don't know the answer. How do companies like Black Book determine value? Do dealers report sale prices to them and then average that together?

The GT350 is a great car no matter which one you buy and I plan on getting one in the next year if I can find the right car for me. It will either be a used 2016 Tech pack car or a used 2017.

I do still think that for a few reasons though the GT350 prices will be dropping in the next year.
1: Some of the things that made the GT350 special have trickled down to the regular GT.
2: The performance of the regular GT has increased and some new options are available that you can't get on the GT350 - 10 speed auto.
3: Right now there are roughly 1200 new and used one available just on cars.com with lots of new 2017's sitting on the lot at or below MSRP and more and more 2018's coming in everyday.
4: The new GT500 coming out. How many people will trade in their GT350 for a GT500? More used cars on the market.
Some variables that will affect this are: Will Ford produce the GT350 and GT500 at the same time or will they discontinue the GT350? Where does the next generation of Mustang go as far as performance is concerned? If Ford decides to abandon the V8 power any Shelby built up to that point would hold its value better.
Sponsored