Sponsored

Half Shafts and boost

Roush05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I was just curious how many of you guys are FI without upgraded half shafts? I am installing a P-1SC-1 on my otherwise stock GT (ARH catbacks) within the next couple weeks and am making a list of what I absolutely must have. I won't be tracking it or running it especially hard so I am not sure if I need to upgrade these. I've put aside money for a new clutch as well but am not going to buy one just yet. Thanks
Sponsored

greengoblin31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang
I was just curious how many of you guys are FI without upgraded half shafts? I am installing a P-1SC-1 on my otherwise stock GT (ARH catbacks) within the next couple weeks and am making a list of what I absolutely must have. I won't be tracking it or running it especially hard so I am not sure if I need to upgrade these. I've put aside money for a new clutch as well but am not going to buy one just yet. Thanks
i'd do the half shafts before the clutch imo. i'd run that clutch until you actually see it start slipping..:cheers:

OP
OP

Roush05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
your half shaft life will most likely come down to how often and how hard you launch it. (mainly at the track) you can survive on stocks but just need to be cautious of them when launching or experiencing wheel hop.

Sponsored

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I haven’t taken it easy on mine since installing the SC. Probably spin the tires a few times every day whenever I am in no traffic. Never been to the track, but launch and go WOT fairly often on the street. Been on some sticky summer tires for about two months and the traction is much better than the stock all seasons. The stock half shafts seem to take whatever I can put them through on the street.

Boduke0220

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
whipple at 800 for 2 years on my stock ones. keep a drag radial off of it and youll be fine

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
whipple at 800 for 2 years on my stock ones. keep a drag radial off of it and youll be fine
I would think a whipple is much harder on half shafts than a centri so your experience is good to hear

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Stock shafts for over 30k miles between 600-800whp. MPSS tires street driven with many launches and alot of WOT.

Street tires will spin before holding enough torque to snap the axle.

Wheel hop may also break them, but if you do some other suspension mods to help that (which you will want anyway to help you put the extra power down, CB005 would be #1), you shouldn't have to worry too much about that either.

M151A2

Skinny old dude
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emmett
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I decided the risk of being stuck on the side of the road after showing my ass would be too much an embarrassment so I did the safest thing and installed the G-force 850 Half shafts.

Running the Roush Phase 1 blower and MT 305s. It is very annoying when you think you should do something, disregard it, and then BANG!
Damn! I knew I should have bought those!

Sponsored

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride
I know this is old but even in radials a tire on the street doesn’t hook enough at all to snap stock half shafts. Which is why Roush mustangs never have issues. No tire hooks on the street on a car that makes 700 wheel. There’s always spin to that tire preventing the stock half shaft from Breaking. On a prepped track totally different at that point. But listen if it makes you feel better than install them. But I personally have never met one person whose had stock half shaft failure on the street with a blower no matter what tire they use. I do believe the 18+ S550 has a slightly upgraded set of half shafts too over the 15-17 but could be wrong about that one.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
$67.00 Rock Auto half shafts here... With DR’s. Low 3’s 0-60’s and hard tire peel shifting into 3rd at 85mph....

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$67.00 Rock Auto half shafts here... With DR’s. Low 3’s 0-60’s and hard tire peel shifting into 3rd at 85mph....
What?

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Im
Not kidding.
So basically what youre saying is what I’m saying. Half shafts aren’t breaking on the street. Just prepped tracks. Boosted or not.
Sponsored

Last edited: