2011 Mustang 5.0

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I love it how people still think HP numbers are fudged, like it's 1968. They're SAE rated, no fudging.

I mean, you see people dyne new cars, they're never over what they say, and within spec for the expected drivetrain loss.
2013/14 gt500, dyno'd way high, also my car, plenty of dynos that reveal very minimal drivetrain loss. This is a big heavy drivetrain its not that efficient lol.

StangFever2846

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1
Googyear PG in San Angelo! .. and the steel penny pub...
Actually thinkn bought running 3 sisters and working backroads all the way to Alpine and Fort Davis where the highs are in the 80s and lows in 60s. Not this weekend but next Aug 4,5,6,
Maybe make a run down to Terlingua/bomb river road/Presidio and back in memory of Carroll.
Maybe get a beer at the Railroad Blues.

Plenty of nice places to catch sleep, Gage Motel, Lost Maples, car camp in mountains where its cool at night, Big Bend, Indian Head, Starlight Theater, Davis observatory...
:thumbsup: Sounds like the makings for a great weekend of fun! If you hit up the three sisters area, if you can, I suggest taking Hwy 16 from Kerrville to Bandera. I stumbled across that stretch of bliss by accident when I forgot to turn left onto 173 leaving Kerrville on my way south through Bandera. Some very tight sections and some long straights were you could really open her up! Boy did I have some fun and the scenery was amazing!

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]vOrJ1wk1KiA[/MEDIA]"]

Not my video.

Back on topic, I was thinking Ford might be working on using an electric supercharger to keep weight down and for packaging concerns, but I think this V-Charge supercharger or even a traditional centrifugal system would be more viable since you wouldn't need a 48 volt charging system.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
Back on topic, I was thinking Ford might be working on using an electric supercharger to keep weight down and for packaging concerns, but I think this V-Charge supercharger or even a traditional centrifugal system would be more viable since you wouldn't need a 48 volt charging system.[/QUOTE]

I agree, im thinking possibly this new V charge SC, it's about half the weight of a roots system, quieter and more efficient. Plus it's able to have varying boost. It would also explain the longer testing time. A roots system doesn't seem like it should take this long to get to market.

Sponsored

StangFever2846

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1
I agree, im thinking possibly this new V charge SC, it's about half the weight of a roots system, quieter and more efficient. Plus it's able to have varying boost. It would also explain the longer testing time. A roots system doesn't seem like it should take this long to get to market.
Yeah this could explain why it's taking so long and would definitely tick the box for coolness factor. That could explain the fresh air inlets on the fenders above the wheels.

As WilliamWally said a couple of pages down it's already being tested on Ford vehicles. :thumbsup:

http://www.proactiveinvestors.co.uk/companies/news/68187/ford-joins-torotrak-on-v-charge-project-but-funding-still-needed-79446.html

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
2013/14 gt500, dyno'd way high, also my car, plenty of dynos that reveal very minimal drivetrain loss. This is a big heavy drivetrain its not that efficient lol.
Right.
The last gt500 typically dynoed at 20 to 25hp over and the hellcat usually 30 or sometimes more.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Anyone else think that the hood bulge could be explained by a hot V turbo setup? You'd think that would do wonders for the packaging.

I'm a sucker for whine though, give me a twin screw any day.

supersnake94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Focus SE
Anyone else think that the hood bulge could be explained by a hot V turbo setup? You'd think that would do wonders for the packaging.

I'm a sucker for whine though, give me a twin screw any day.
It could be just a foam pad to cover up the lines on the hood.

Keep in mind that manufacturers add on bits to distort the lines of the car to hide the true form. We have also seen this on the GT350.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
It could be just a foam pad to cover up the lines on the hood.

Keep in mind that manufacturers add on bits to distort the lines of the car to hide the true form. We have also seen this on the GT350.
Yeah, just a thought.

The design of the Coyote seems setup from day one to support both supercharging and DI. I'd genuinely be surprised to see anything other than a SC.

This article from way back in 2010 is pretty illuminating on the subject. And obviously, the aftermarket has done terrific things with supercharging the 5.0. It was born to be FI, even while still being a terrific NA engine.

Last edited:

Sponsored

supersnake94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Focus SE
Yeah, just a thought.

The design of the Coyote seems setup to support both supercharging and DI. I'd genuinely be surprised to see anything other than a SC.

This article from way back in 2010 is pretty illuminating on the subject. And obviously, the aftermarket has done terrific things with supercharging the 5.0. It was born to be FI, even while still being a terrific NA engine.
Well they were spot on about putting a direct injection application in the Coyote.

I want to see a twin turbo setup in the next halo Mustang. I really do, but if it is going to be a supercharger application, I will not be that disappointed. With the reveal of the Eaton 2650 TVS, that too is very impressive and superchargers are getting more and more efficient. If they are going to go supercharged however, I do want to see it on a PDI application.