Streetfighter Engine Oil Cooler Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
I started an 'oil cooler failure first hand experiences' thread but so far no one has come forward other than Streetfighter, and their experience was covered in the MOTOR mag review.
Sponsored

Bushranger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT auto fastback
It will be difficult for us small percentage of owners to compile accurate data of failures. Only Ford Australia will know. There would be roughly 2000 vehicles in OZ built prior to July 2016 (mine included). The Mishimoto kit, fully installed by others would cost in the vicinity of $2000. This is fine for mod addicts looking for performance, but is a very high insurance cost for the average owner who is most likely unaware of the issue anyway.
I think I will compose a Complaint Letter to Ford Australia as per the ACCC guidelines (thank you ian B) and take the matter further if I get the brush off. I am only asking for formal assurance of post warranty period guarantee regarding oil cooler failure and its consequences. Ford could save all the anxiety by just posting their position now..... but that seems unlikely.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Hey Peter,

That would be great! And even greater if you could add the evaporator issue :thumbsup:

Might be worth checking with Fair Trading to see if there's any specific part of the legislation they draw your attention to, which you could then quote in the letter. Would also really like to know their rationale for flushing when the TSB says replace, as well as what changes they've made to rectify the issue. But it's your letter :)

Mustang Motorsport quoted me 3 hours to do an install, so about $1500 all up but yes in the vicinity of $2k.

:cheers:

RSPEC-015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Territory & Mustang GT
All I ask is that this statement be recognized by Ford or Ford Australia in writing. Or is there a law somewhere that I can wave in their face if the issue occurs?
An engine failure outside warranty, 2000km from home, is what? $20,000???

Apologies to Streetfighter for thread jacking.
Hi Peter,

I've never had to test this out with Ford and wave something in writing under their nose. All of my Fords have been relatively free of warranty work but I did have an FPV once which got the dreaded timing chain tensioner rattle after 5 years.

I was prepared to share the cost with the dealer but Ford came to the party and covered the total cost based on a few factors:

1) It was a known issue.
2) Car was always serviced at Ford dealer.
3) Car was looked after.

My car was modded, full Herrod exhaust, but not considered a factor.

I always have my Fords serviced at the selling dealership, I maintain a good relationship with them and I think this helps when it comes to warranty work.

I also discuss with the Service Manager from time to time about issues - mine has not come across any oil cooler issues yet but have had a few air conditioner problems through the doors.

Bushranger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Hey Peter,

That would be great! And even greater if you could add the evaporator issue :thumbsup:

Mustang Motorsport quoted me 3 hours to do an install, so about $1500 all up but yes in the vicinity of $2k.

:cheers:
My apologies for the over estimate. It would be the first time something is cheaper than I thought:D
As there is a little time left on our warranties ( I hope the km limit is not a problem for anyone yet), I will ponder my approach over the next couple of days. I may write 2 letters, one for oil cooler and one for AC in order to keep the issues separate and focused.

Sponsored

RSPEC-015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Territory & Mustang GT
My apologies for the over estimate. It would be the first time something is cheaper than I thought:D
As there is a little time left on our warranties ( I hope the km limit is not a problem for anyone yet), I will ponder my approach over the next couple of days. I may write 2 letters, one for oil cooler and one for AC in order to keep the issues separate and focused.
It's good insurance to write as you raised it during the warranty period and it strengthens your case if something did happen to occur afterwards. You can also mention it when your car goes in for servicing - it will be on the paperwork they give you back when you pick your vehicle up. Good thing is it is in the car's service history then.

Bushranger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Hi Peter,

I've never had to test this out with Ford and wave something in writing under their nose.
I agree with you as I seem to have a reasonable relationship with my dealer and the service manager. They see how I treat my car and would never treat me poorly. I won't be an a'hole to them. I thought that I would seek clarification on the issues on behalf of everyone, not just me. I think the worst case scenario (engine failure) is highly unlikely but if it does occur we may be out the back of Woop Woop and get towed into a dealership unknown. I understand the need for diplomacy as I was an engineering manager for a state instrumentality, but that was a few years ago. In fact I think it would be prudent to go down to my service department and get their thoughts on the matter before commencing formalities.:thumbsup:

stang_86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover Sport, 2016 Mustang GT 2019 Bullitt
Please be advised this is not an older than 2016 June or what ever it’s happening to 2017 year models as well.

So the whole S550 FM GT is effected from 2015 to now not sure if the 2018 if they tweaked the oil cooler etc

OP
OP
Streetfighter Mustang

Streetfighter Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.streetfighter.net.au
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Mustang
Need this kit out yesterday lol

Need pricing etc otherwise I might as well get a full custom job done
We will release pricing later this week.

StreetFighter%20Engine%20Oil%20Cooler%20Package_zpsl52jtadw.jpg

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Thanks David, could you also please provide an estimate of time, noting workshop rates differ, so we know roughly what we're up for in terms of fitting.

Sponsored

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Please be advised this is not an older than 2016 June or what ever it’s happening to 2017 year models as well.

So the whole S550 FM GT is effected from 2015 to now not sure if the 2018 if they tweaked the oil cooler etc
That’s interesting as Ford claim there was a change to the design to fix this issue in July / August 16.

Do you have any examples of failure on a my17 car?

stang_86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover Sport, 2016 Mustang GT 2019 Bullitt
I will have to look again most examples on Facebook.

Been advised by a few Ford workshops saying they have had a few 17 models come in on a tow truck with the same issue.

If they did have an updated version why would we the people ask for a resolution, when Ford could say use the 17 model Oil cooler ?

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
stang86 can you link us to the Facebook page/s please?

Seems like they changed it late in the MY16 run so its possible a few of the old units went through on the line fitted to a batch of Australian MY17 cars. Who would know.

MrMustang1974

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red mustang GT

05STNG

05 STNG
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
DIB Fastback V8 Manual
Another option is this kit by MMR $399US and it completely removes the oem filter housingbracket resulting in much more room on that side of the block. So its a oil filter relocation kit as well as oil cooler kit.

http://www.modularmotorsportsracing...page=product_info&cPath=28_29&products_id=518

Im seriously considering getting this kit,

450475_.jpg
Please let us know how you go

I'm thinking of preventative at my cost rather waiting for it to fail
cheers
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.