Sponsored

Convertible Windscreen alternative, courtesy of Audi!

Aggie96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Red 2017 Ford Mustang EcoBoost
Hi, all! I just joined the Mustang world yesterday with my purchase of a 2017 Race Red Ford Mustang EcoBoost Convertible. I started the convertible world with a 1994 BMW 325i in 2012 and loved it. When I found the windscreen option, I loved it even more. But I wasn't satisfied with the existing options, and found a post in the BMW forums that an 2001-2009 Audi A4 windscreen fit perfectly and as a bonus, folds in half to fit better in the trunk!

Fast forward to yesterday as I start looking at mustang options for a windscreen and facing disappointment that there isn't a better integrated option, I tried the Audi on a whim. The size was absolutely perfect!

So I said a little prayer, cried a few tears, then proceeded to drill two holes into the plastic trim of my brand new (to me) Mustang. I think the result is absolutely fabulous! I still have to get two 7/16" black trim rings to dress the holes up and make a modification to the rear of the windscreen to secure it in the back, but I absolutely love the look and love the fact that it folds up small enough to fit into the back section of the trunk!

Here are the pictures, and I will update the post once I figure out an elegant way to secure the back of the windscreen.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KUZJhSM1xKaBe1zr6
Sponsored

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
Hi, all! I just joined the Mustang world yesterday with my purchase of a 2017 Race Red Ford Mustang EcoBoost Convertible. I started the convertible world with a 1994 BMW 325i in 2012 and loved it. When I found the windscreen option, I loved it even more. But I wasn't satisfied with the existing options, and found a post in the BMW forums that an 2001-2009 Audi A4 windscreen fit perfectly and as a bonus, folds in half to fit better in the trunk!

Fast forward to yesterday as I start looking at mustang options for a windscreen and facing disappointment that there isn't a better integrated option, I tried the Audi on a whim. The size was absolutely perfect!

So I said a little prayer, cried a few tears, then proceeded to drill two holes into the plastic trim of my brand new (to me) Mustang. I think the result is absolutely fabulous! I still have to get two 7/16" black trim rings to dress the holes up and make a modification to the rear of the windscreen to secure it in the back, but I absolutely love the look and love the fact that it folds up small enough to fit into the back section of the trunk!

Here are the pictures, and I will update the post once I figure out an elegant way to secure the back of the windscreen.

WOW!!! Thant amazing the wind blocker fits so well. :thumbsup:

Kudos to you for trying it out and drilling into your car. I am sure you could find some black plugs to cover the holes if you ever wanted to do so. :cheers:

Last edited:
OP
OP

Aggie96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update: The windscreen fit so perfectly that I don't believe that I am going to need a modification in the rear to secure it. It didn't move during my 75+ mph drive on the Interstate.

I'm looking for trim rings for car door locks with a 7/16 opening to dress up the holes. If I ever change my mind, I can plug the holes with these caps:

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Nylon-Hole-Plug-7-16-Black-p/a13871.htm

OP
OP

Aggie96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I bought mine used off of eBay. I believe that I paid around $100 for mine because it had a small imperfection in the bottom screen panel that really didn't concern me. Here is a link to active auctions:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...RS0.TSS0&_nkw=audi+a4+wind+deflector&_sacat=0

I drilled a 7/16 hole in which the pins fit like a glove. I am debating on drilling the hole bigger for a trim ring, but to be honest, I always leave my windscreen in anyway, even with the top up, so I may leave the holes as is and simply smooth them out. I can then keep the 7/16 plastic caps in the glove box and plug the holes if I ever take the windscreen out.

Another thing that I like about this windscreen is how easy it is to install and take out. It takes about 10 seconds to unfold and install and 5 seconds to remove and fold up. You can't find a better windscreen. Audi really did a great job on this one.

Ford should take note and make this an OEM accessory. They could easily mold the holes into the panels and sell this windscreen for $500. Coming from a 25 year old BMW, I don't understand why a modern Ford doesn't integrate the windscreen option, a fully automatic top, and pop-up rollover protection. But I gladly gave all of that up for my red beauty and the modern comforts of Android Auto, A/C seats, keyless entry and start, and suprising power from a four banger that gets 37 mpg on the highway going 70 mph. :ford:

Can you post the info. and price please. Looks like a glove fit.

Sponsored

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
That is awesome.... and cheap... and keeps one more item out the landfill.

ScottM_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Convertible
Aggie96,
Thanks for this great alternative to the other Mustang options out there. I just bought one on eBay. Can you tell me the bag dimensions so I can figure out if I need it shipped or if I can have someone pick it up in a suitcase.
Thanks again for this great idea,
Scott

Sponsored
OP
OP

Aggie96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Glad I could help! I measured approximately 25"x18"x5".

Aggie96,
Thanks for this great alternative to the other Mustang options out there. I just bought one on eBay. Can you tell me the bag dimensions so I can figure out if I need it shipped or if I can have someone pick it up in a suitcase.
Thanks again for this great idea,
Scott

ScottM_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Convertible
Perfect thanks. Will the hole locations be pretty obvious? I assume I nest the back end under the rear headrests then level it and mark the pin locations?
Thanks again,
Scott

OP
OP

Aggie96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The foldable arms will rest on the rear seatbelts, which is nice as they won't rub on the leather. The best bet is to have someone mark for you as you hold in the position you want, then measure and mark the other side. That way you can place it exactly how you want it. I debated if I wanted it higher or lower and I finally went with lower.

Perfect thanks. Will the hole locations be pretty obvious? I assume I nest the back end under the rear headrests then level it and mark the pin locations?
Thanks again,
Scott

jeffdeq

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Convertible White Platinum

Looks great!
Sponsored