Sponsored

Sensor failings. You could have one too!

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
Okay, who's going to cut the sensors in two to see what the difference(s) are — for science, of course!
Sponsored

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
Okay, who's going to cut the sensors in two to see what the difference(s) are — for science, of course!
These types of sensors are calibrated . What do you know about calibrating ?

If any some 1 would cut 1 in half that some 1 should find out exactly what materials are with in the construction of said sensor , safety data ..

A physical examination would only give a physical explanation of the construction of said sensor ... to get an explanation to what is happening to the sensor and why it is going faulty there would need to be a testing procedure drawn up and explored to determine what exactly is transpiring with in the sensor and why the sensor is giving a false signal ...

Not really cost effective considering the sensors are only $ 20.00 or so ..

jrock

The
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Blue EB
Vehicle Showcase
To test the sensor....Just a guess, I'm no expert...

I would say get a 5VDC Power Supply, an Air Compressor with some type of adapter to connect to the sensor, and a Multi-meter. Connect the 5VDC Power Supply to the 5V input and the ground. Use the Multi-meter to test the output voltage from the 5V output and ground while adding compressed air. You should be able to map the entire range of voltage vs Pressure. Again, just a guess...

Edkiefer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XR4ti

I would say get a 5VDC Power Supply, an Air Compressor with some type of adapter to connect to the sensor, and a Multi-meter. Connect the 5VDC Power Supply to the 5V input and the ground. Use the Multi-meter to test the output voltage from the 5V output and ground while adding compressed air. You should be able to map the entire range of voltage vs Pressure. Again, just a guess...
Yeh but you would need an oscilloscope to test response time, how fast does it respond to voltage vers pressure.
On the pinhole, just a guess it could be a weep hole or possible remove any back pressure that sensor could produce from changing pressure.

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford f250 turbo diesel and 2016 mustang svo

Yes..

The calibration test your writing about is how we test in the field with a fluke 123 scope meter I have one in my possession send me a faulty sensor I'll test it, and can be done with fluke 89 multi meter.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Edkiefer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XR4ti
Yes..

The calibration test your writing about is how we test in the field with a fluke 123 scope meter I have one in my position send me a faulty sensor I'll test it, and can be done with fluke 89 multi meter.
Just thinking about this more, you also might need liquid media as air is compressible.
You could definitely tell if the sensor was bad (not reading at all or stuck either way).

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just thinking about this more, you also might need liquid media as air is compressible.
I'm sorry take a new sensor read the reference to so said grounding point ,and using the same ground point same exact test to faulty units (more than one) min max on the voltage and chart multiple sensors.

Graph a chart from high to low voltage and see what the flow would read ,but we need to know the psi of fuel the sensor is recognizing..

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm sorry take a new sensor read the reference to so said grounding point ,and using the same ground point same exact test to faulty units (more than one) min max on the voltage and chart multiple sensors.

Graph a chart from high to low voltage and see what the flow would read ,but we need to know the psi of fuel the sensor is recognizing..
The size of the tubing
Pressure in fuel line
Psi of said fuel in the line..
New sensor
Old sensors
We can graph on a chart the with voltage..

Keiferson22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT Premium
The size of the tubing
Pressure in fuel line
Psi of said fuel in the line..
New sensor
Old sensors
We can graph on a chart the with voltage..
I highly doubt the sensor works that way. I attempted to do the same with the oil pressure sensor and found out the hard way. These are smart sensors that communicate on a can bus and have an ID tag associated with them.

For those who question whether or not the system can lean out when the sensor fails, I can tell you first hand that it will. It was my car that Adam was tuning when we found the issue. My value for the sensor was Pegged and we couldn't hit the target AFR. As soon as I disconnected the sensor the ECU inferred the value based on other parameters and the AFR corrected itself.

jrock

The
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Blue EB
Vehicle Showcase
I highly doubt the sensor works that way. I attempted to do the same with the oil pressure sensor and found out the hard way. These are smart sensors that communicate on a can bus and have an ID tag associated with them.

For those who question whether or not the system can lean out when the sensor fails, I can tell you first hand that it will. It was my car that Adam was tuning when we found the issue. My value for the sensor was Pegged and we couldn't hit the target AFR. As soon as I disconnected the sensor the ECU inferred the value based on other parameters and the AFR corrected itself.
WHAT???? I'm not buying the Smart Sensor... The sensor should have an input voltage and an output voltage which should be determined by the pressure applied to the Sensor- A digram of the sensor or wiring schmatic would show these voltages.

I'm glad you found your bad Senor though....

Sponsored

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
People just don't want to believe it because it's Adam saying it, Keiferson22. If it was anyone else, they'd take it all in without question.

And I thought this posted earlier but it didn't, I was kidding about chopping up a sensor, Brian. I am curious as to what's causing the sensors to fail though and the new pinhole port on the new sensor does make me wonder what differences there are internally, if any.

jrock

The
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Blue EB
Vehicle Showcase
People just don't want to believe it because it's Adam saying it, Keiferson22. If it was anyone else, they'd take it all in without question.

And I thought this posted earlier but it didn't, I was kidding about chopping up a sensor, Brian. I am curious as to what's causing the sensors to fail though and the new pinhole port on the new sensor does make me wonder what differences there are internally, if any.
I personally did not say it was not True... I would just like to find out more about this sensor.

I bet there is a pinhole somewhere on the old sensor. I will check for myself when I get time.

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red

Data signals transfer faster .. more than likely milli amps ...the stated sensor would only transmit a signal , less internal structure for the sensor to accomplish it's task .

Test equipment for such a device would be minimalistic that would read with in a given parameter associated with the the sensors capabilities .....

My question than is the intank fuel pump given signals to modify pressures that coincide with the FRPS signal of a given value ?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Ok, so who has access to and can post here what the actual Ford written procedure is in determining when or if that sensor is considered bad or faulty?

I don’t care who posted what on Facebook or other forum outlets as to supposed parameters of a bad vs. good sensor, as I have yet to see actual Ford diagnosis procedures.

I mean, there has to be some type of parameters in the genuine Ford Shop Manual that outlines how to test that sensor, as I’m sure a Dealership Tech isn’t going to throw parts until he hits that one and gets the “lightbulb” that THAT was the faulty part.... nor is he going to google Facebook posts... well... some Dealerships might... LOL

The “pinhole” in the design must have a purpose - maybe back pressure relief of sorts as some said, but we need to confirm exactly what purpose does that “pinhole” serve on the revision? IMO, I don’t think it is a weep hole; I don’t think weeping fuel over the top of the engine would be something Ford’s Legal Team would agree with due to liability reasons...LOL!

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

did i read this right .. that every device on the ecoboost engine has an address that is activated by the ecu like a p.l.c cabinet on a electrical panel...

hmmm that is interesting ... i think i would like to try this test...;)
Sponsored