Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
It's.

A.

Mustang.

Nothing more. Not a human, not something that has feels, not something that has good days or bad. It's a machine that only needs a bit of maintenance and mechanical sympathy.

Reg, whom I was replying to, drives an Ecoboost. Can a Mustang be more pedestrian and run-of-the-mill? And yet he thinks it needs to be a garage queen.

Good Christ people, calm down. They're machines. Nothing more.
A lot of people are sentimental about their cars. I'm one of em. Yes, they are machines but they're machines that are in our lives.

To some people an S550 is a Porsche or a Maserati lol. Might be a little excessive obviously cuz its not but to people who have saved up their pennies for muscle car of their dreams - it's pretty important. Think about the revered muscle/sports car back in the day. An S550 Mustang would destroy almost any of those cars made back then. It's an amazing machine. But as you said, it's just a Mustang.

To others, a S550 Mustang is just another play thing until they can buy a BMW M4 or a Ford GT or whatever. Everybody is different. So I try not to downplay people's feelings toward their cars because it is real. This is why collector cars exist.

But truth to your point - it's not a collector car. Seems like a waste to keep it in the garage all the time and not drive it. There's no extra value in doing that. But I guess if you have the money and the extra cars, you could use your Mustang as your weekend carver/garage queen. I don't have that luxury and besides I'd rather drive it anyway.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Bullshit. Mine's sitting outside my work right now. It's my only vehicle.

I wouldn't own a Mustang to leave it sitting in a garage. What a waste.

Why would you think a Mustang is "not practical as a daily"?
I work from home so it's a moot point in that respect. But if I did have a typical work commute with stop/go and it was a bit of a drive, I would never want to commute in my GT.

Why?
1-My gas mileage sucks. I'm boosted and average 14mpg. With premium at $4/gallon where I am, I'd rather take my 4cyl which gets close to 30.

2-Commuting in crowded stop/go is a waste for the GT. I see cars sitting in bumper to bumper traffic near the trail I run. Boy sitting in my GT going nowhere is a blast! Plus getting horrible mpg to boot.

3-Most importantly for me.......the quickest way for me to get tired/bored of a car is to commute daily in it. The GT is always exciting to drive for me since I don't slog a commute in it.

That's just how it works best for me.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
How about just removing the Whipple and driving the car with stock engine? That will make you work harder and might give you back the feeling you're looking for.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I work from home so it's a moot point in that respect. But if I did have a typical work commute with stop/go and it was a bit of a drive, I would never want to commute in my GT.

Why?
1-My gas mileage sucks. I'm boosted and average 14mpg. With premium at $4/gallon where I am, I'd rather take my 4cyl which gets close to 30.

2-Commuting in crowded stop/go is a waste for the GT. I see cars sitting in bumper to bumper traffic near the trail I run. Boy sitting in my GT going nowhere is a blast! Plus getting horrible mpg to boot.

3-Most importantly for me.......the quickest way for me to get tired/bored of a car is to commute daily in it. The GT is always exciting to drive for me since I don't slog a commute in it.

Counter-points;

You're largely talking about the emotion of boredom. Of fearing that driving in crappy traffic will make you bored in your Mustang. The MPGs is not really an issue, it's a Mustang, and 99% aren't boosted GTs. And an SUV or big sedan doesn't get great MPGs in traffic either.

But a Mustang IS a practical daily commuter. It works just as well as any sedan or SUV, unless you have many people to drag around. It has a big trunk, it's very comfortable, it's very safe, it's easy to get in and out of, easy to park, etc., etc.

In fact, an Ecoboost would be a fantastic DD.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
the quickest way for me to get tired/bored of a car is to commute daily in it. The GT is always exciting to drive for me since I don't slog a commute in it.

x2. I used to DD mine but now have another Acura. The pony is just for Car shows, Auto-X and Track duty now.

Then again, I've removed all the comfort and whatever civility it had :lol:
SpeedSF_T-Hill Batch-342-X3.jpg

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Why?

Holy cow, I don't blame you! Gas here is around $2.40-$2.50 for regular and $2.80-$3.00 for premium. 14mpg on premium gas, :eyebulge:

Phenom5.0

5.2 ^^^
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech Metallic
How about just removing the Whipple and driving the car with stock engine? That will make you work harder and might give you back the feeling you're looking for.
I'm actually in this camp.

Get your car back down to a usable power output so you can have fun driving it harder.

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
No Thanks. I love the added torque. I'll just deal with it.

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Counter-points;

You're largely talking about the emotion of boredom. Of fearing that driving in crappy traffic will make you bored in your Mustang.
Exactly and I do get bored of cars that I drive everyday......especially if it's in traffic. But since that never applies the GT, I pretty much am never bored with it.

aspensilver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2006 MBenz SLK55 AMG - '97 BMW 540I - 2010 Audi S4
Holy cow, I don't blame you! Gas here is around $2.40-$2.50 for regular and $2.80-$3.00 for premium. 14mpg on premium gas, :eyebulge:

Getting 15.5mpg on a stock 2010 Audi S4. 14mpg on a boosted car sounds like a bargain :) GT gets pretty good gas mileage, comparatively.

OP -- good choice holding on to it. Maybe consider a used Fiesta ST? They are like 10K now. Shit, now I want one!

Sponsored

terryz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base manual
This is why I sold my 2016 mustang GT and bought a Lexus GS 350. You cannot enjoy the power 95% of the time in a Mustang, but you will appreciate the comfort and quietness 100% of the time in the Lexus.

But now I am thinking of getting a 2009+ Miata manual as my second car... Arrrr!

Mr. Brutus

Mr. Brutus
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brutus
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP Ruby
Thinking about going from GT back to a slow car ?

Thinking about having my pecker shortened, draining my bank account, and gaining 100 lbs.. I figure it will make it more sporting and challenging to appeal to the ladies...

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thinking about having my pecker shortened, draining my bank account, and gaining 100 lbs.. I figure it will make it more sporting and challenging to appeal to the ladies...
Just do it already! And don’t forget to post pics.

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
After the issues I am having with my 18 I am strongly considering to buy an Mazda MX-5 RF(or the regular vert) with the new 184HP engine. But I do need to have the rear seats......
The Mustang is awesome but the Mazda is also awesome, great fun. Low price and like a go-cart
Sponsored