Sponsored

Catch can... is it too late?

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
And use the recommended oil, and follow the change recommendations.
Nah, put oil intended for a large diesel engine in fleet service into it (when the forum first started, there was a contingent of people who swore by Shell Rotella-T...):doh:

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Well, I'm covered by Ford if it happens in the first 60,000 miles. Worst case, I'll get a free new cylinder head out of it :lol: (that is seriously how Ford has dealers take care of intake valve deposits in the Ecoboost!). If it happens out of warranty, there's plenty of shops that know how to media blast the intake valves in DI engines (they've been down this road with BMW, Kia, etc.) or you could just buy a DIY kit. Requires taking the intake manifold off and rotating the crank through until the intake valves in each cylinder are closed.
Cleaning the intake valves in these engines is dangerous, that's why Ford just replaces the head. This engine design incorporates the exhaust manifold into the head, which places the turbo and catalytic converter very close to the cylinder exhaust ports. You have to be very careful that none of what you clean off the valves makes it into the cylinder, or it could wind up damaging the turbine. This is also the reason you can't use any of the cleaning systems that pump chemicals into the intake. Because they are closer to the exhaust ports than in a normal engine, the cleaning chemicals can also put too much heat into the turbo and catalytic converter.

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford f250 turbo diesel and 2016 mustang svo
Cleaning the intake valves in these engines is dangerous, that's why Ford just replaces the head. This engine design incorporates the exhaust manifold into the head, which places the turbo and catalytic converter very close to the cylinder exhaust ports. You have to be very careful that none of what you clean off the valves makes it into the cylinder, or it could wind up damaging the turbine. This is also the reason you can't use any of the cleaning systems that pump chemicals into the intake. Because they are closer to the exhaust ports than in a normal engine, the cleaning chemicals can also put too much heat into the turbo and catalytic converter.
I'll be the test dummy on this I do it ever 10,000
Miles no harsh affects to date ,and tuned for hi horse power I'm firm believer in Chevron and CRC products .. keep engine clean with all maintenance.

Sponsored

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Nah, put oil intended for a large diesel engine in fleet service into it (when the forum first started, there was a contingent of people who swore by Shell Rotella-T...):doh:
I wouldn't have a problem using any oil that meets or exceeds the required specifications, the most important being GM's dexos1 Gen2. You can find a list of oils here:

http://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand2015/

And no, Shell Rotella-T isn't on the list.

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
I wouldn't have a problem using any oil that meets or exceeds the required specifications, the most important being GM's dexos1 Gen2. You can find a list of oils here:

http://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand2015/

And no, Shell Rotella-T isn't on the list.
Neither are any of Ford's oils (what the dealer puts in when you take it in). My guess would be that Ford isn't going to pay for certification to a GM standard. I'm glad that my goto brand (Mobil 1) is in here. It's comical that 7 11 's store brand is at the top of the list (and I realize it's just because it's alphabetical) :lol:
Sponsored